• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Zaakhy
    Zaakhy

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Whenever I download and try to use snapshots, it does an error and says: Failed to load Main-Class manifest
attribute from C:\Users\Name.Name-PC\Downloads\minecraft.jar

I searched this up and I got no help.

Register or log in to remove.

Repeatist

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

How are you using them exactly?

Make sure to plop it inside your Minecraft bin folder and overwrite your existing minecraft.jar file.

luckyluc009
  • Minecraft: luckyluc009

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Do you need to unzip it, or just plop it into the folder? I've deleted the old minecraft.jar, or wrather all the crap in it. Let me go see, I'm going to go try and delete the .jar itself. :iapprove:  :iapprove:
Harow. I'm trying to portforward, but horribly failing. I'm also trying to build a Hunger Games map, and awesomelly succeding, except for making terrain look natural.

Danster5oo
  • Minecraft: Danster5oo

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Search "%AppData%"

Posted Image
Remember kids, when the mod crashes delete system32!

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11011 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

• Download the new snapshot minecraft.jar
  • Navigate to your .minecraft folder (On windows, you can find it by searching for %appdata%)
  • Put the new jar file in the bin folder.
    OPTIONAL: Back up your old jar file.
  • Open Minecraft via the launcher, how you normally would.

Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

luckyluc009
  • Minecraft: luckyluc009

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

No need to delete the old jar?

Edit: I found my problem. I'm unsure how to turn the update.zip (the snapshot) into a .jar file.  :unsure:
Harow. I'm trying to portforward, but horribly failing. I'm also trying to build a Hunger Games map, and awesomelly succeding, except for making terrain look natural.

Repeatist

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

View Postluckyluc009, on 29 January 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

No need to delete the old jar?

Edit: I found my problem. I'm unsure how to turn the update.zip (the snapshot) into a .jar file.  :unsure:
There is no need to delete the previous jar file. Do make sure to overwrite it, however.

The downloaded client should be in a .jar format; not a zip file. This is often due to Internet Explorer mistakenly converting the snapshot as an archive. Try to manually change the extension. If that doesn't work, use another browser such as either Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Safari.

Pritchard16

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

rite ive deleted my first minecraft.jar in bin and replaced it with the snapshot. but wen i turn it on it frezes on minecraft update(done downloading)is that normal or hav i just screwed up my minecraft???

Metholus
    Metholus

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostPritchard16, on 23 February 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

rite ive deleted my first minecraft.jar in bin and replaced it with the snapshot. but wen i turn it on it frezes on minecraft update(done downloading)is that normal or hav i just screwed up my minecraft???

I did it too. right now. and it happended to me to, it just freez.
Good I made a backup, but still. :(
Edit: And if I uses Force update it return to normal.

Whats the answer to this question?

Broken_Hitz
  • Minecraft: BozoHimSelf

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostPritchard16, on 23 February 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Now what shall I do?...

Yum_Hi
    Yum_Hi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Minecraft: Yummhi

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

I downloaded the snapshot, and deleted my minecraft.jar, dragged in the new one, and now my minecraft wont load. It just stops. Help please!~

Broken_Hitz
  • Minecraft: BozoHimSelf

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostYum_Hi, on 23 February 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

I downloaded the snapshot, and deleted my minecraft.jar, dragged in the new one, and now my minecraft wont load. It just stops. Help please!~
Same problem :/

Metholus
    Metholus

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

View PostRepeatist, on 26 January 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

How are you using them exactly?

Make sure to plop it inside your Minecraft bin folder and overwrite your existing minecraft.jar file.

I can�r overwrite, I just paste it in and delete the old one, Is it inportant to overwrite??

Edit: I made It!!! I got right, you have to overwrite, NOT replace, to get the new. It is working now.

gerbil
    gerbil

Support Guru

• Members
  • 4931 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostMetholus, on 23 February 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

I can´r overwrite, I just paste it in and delete the old one, Is it inportant to overwrite??

If you paste it in, and the old one is still there.  Then you have done it wrong.

You are supposed to replace the old one with the new one.  If both are there are once, then it is obviously not replacing the old one.

Before =>  minecraft.jar
After  =>  minecraft.jar

Metholus
    Metholus

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

View Postgerbil, on 23 February 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

If you paste it in, and the old one is still there.  Then you have done it wrong.

You are supposed to replace the old one with the new one.  If both are there are once, then it is obviously not replacing the old one.

Before =>  minecraft.jar
After  =>  minecraft.jar

I worked it out, I hade to name it exatly the same and then got the option to overwrite.
Now it is working.

Yum_Hi
    Yum_Hi

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Minecraft: Yummhi

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Oh thanks, i overwrote it and im on the new snapshot! woo! thanks guys!

IfIDieIWasAFK

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Alright it works just fine except one problem. When I spawn in any gamemode I am forced to fly. I can also o through blocks, but the problem with the flying is I can't go up or down. Anyone else have this?

Posted Image

Greymore1234
  • Minecraft: Greymore1234

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

ummm... im having very bad problems, when i download it it turns out a regular jar file not a excutable ive been having the same prblems as these guys. And I dont know what overwriting is. :P

beerye71
    beerye71

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Is there a way to avoid overwriting your current minecraft.jar and run the snapshot from a different location(or file name)?  

I'm not going to just redownload the client, because I have it patched with mods. (Trying to avoid replacing each jar when I want to go back and forth between a snapshot and 1.1)

Nihil_0
    Nihil_0

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

View PostBadprenup, on 29 January 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

• Download the new snapshot minecraft.jar
  • Navigate to your .minecraft folder (On windows, you can find it by searching for %appdata%)
  • Put the new jar file in the bin folder.
    OPTIONAL: Back up your old jar file.
  • Open Minecraft via the launcher, how you normally would.

Doing so, fellow Minecraftians may corrupt their SSP worlds.
Guys, you may backup your saved games !

Backing up the whole .minecraft is also quick and easy, will also save player stats / achievements.

When running unstable versions (modded jar or a WIP snapshot), try to use a fresh .minecraft folder (i.e.: save the older one).

As such, it is very handy to be able to run Minecraft from a custom folder :  it is possible to use a simple .bat script for that (which modifies the path in "APPDATA" only for the current Minecraft session, to your current folder).

You may find such tools in this forum. It is also really easy to write:

::Save those strings as a .bat file with Notepad.
::Run it alongside the Minecraft.exe launcher in your desired custom path

@ECHO OFF
SET APPDATA=%CD%
start javaw -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -jar Minecraft.exe

(make the launcher download the files, then replace the minecraft.jar in \bin with the snapshot one)
(you can also copy your actual .minecraft to the custom folder to avoid re-downloading and logging on)

Some visual examples :
Spoiler:

Here ! It's no more complicated than that.
You don't really need any magicminecraft or whatever app you don't even know the code, thus (perhaps) some hidden purpose.

Observation :
Spoiler: