The Standard Galactic Alphabet

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

SubliminaLX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Galactic Alphabet

Posted Image
-----
So, What do you guys think about the use of the galactic alphabet?
Whether it is a good or bad thing I can now read and write using it, but still think it could be used a bit more.
-----
Perhaps chests in the end, which contain books with words in them, and if you take the books and put them in bookcases near a enchanting table, you get that word which unlocks another enchantment.
-----
But I like the idea of using the Galactic alphabet for other things in-game, perhaps it could start some form of story in minecraft? where you learn the secrets of the history of the cube world and perhaps books on ancient civilisations and what they believed and lived like?
-----
What do you guys think should happen with this alphabet in minecraft? just left in the enchantment table with no uses? Learning how to write it was pretty fun though, especially when you leave random messages in diaries and people ask you to explain it haha.
-----
P.S. Braille will always be my No.1 Minecraft language dohohoho
-----
Posted Image

This is a Strange world we live in, isn't that right Mr.Piggytum?

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Greenis Creepis

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Not directed at OP, but. Why have a made up galactic alpha bet, when we already have an alphabet.   This is minecraft, not some hardcore translation game shinannigans.    Jesus.  I cant stand enchantments how they are random and you cant understand them.  Tell that to a new kid playing the game.  See this nonsense kid?  You will never use this galactic alpabet crap in your life.  Waste of time.   (pretending minecraft isn't already subjectively a waste of time  :P)

SubliminaLX

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostGreenis Creepis, on 25 January 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Not directed at OP, but. Why have a made up galactic alpha bet, when we already have an alphabet.   This is minecraft, not some hardcore translation game shinannigans.    Jesus.  I cant stand enchantments how they are random and you cant understand them.  Tell that to a new kid playing the game.  See this nonsense kid?  You will never use this galactic alpabet crap in your life.  Waste of time.   (pretending minecraft isn't already subjectively a waste of time  :P)

Oh dear.
You haven't ever player Commander Keen have you?

http://en.wikipedia..../Commander_Keen

Notch used the galactic alphabet from that game, sort of a nod at an old game worth remembering.

This is a Strange world we live in, isn't that right Mr.Piggytum?

Posted Image

XxbobmasterbxX

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Apparently if you translate it all it makes no sense?

Posted Image

bart900!!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

I have my up and downs with this being in mine craft, I think for one its cool being able to read and write in this language but it makes no sense it what your getting with enchantmenting wise. What if you want a fire aspect for something at the current moment but you get a shitty Bane Of Aphropods (I think thats how you spell it). It would be good having an update were you find those ancient books, but perhaps in a Stronghold in those libraries? That would fit the scene perfectly I reckon.
Posted Image

DarkWiiPlayer

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

hmmm... I like the idea of players having to learn a new alphabet for this game, but the problem is that, as always, someone would just translate it and it would be useless. But hey should really add a new language to minecraft: standared calactic alphabet as a new language, or maybe as a checkbox in the language selection screen.

King_of_Wolf
  • Minecraft: SuperSybe

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

yeah but the thing is that the words would take forever to translate without some texturepack or mod to change SGA (Standard Galactic Alphabet) into English or any other language you choose.
Do you like red panda's? They are so cute! Message me if you like the Red Panda!
Posted Image

DarkWiiPlayer

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

That's the point. The reason to implement more standard galactic alphabet is to make the game a bit harder, and make players learn how to read it. Trust me, after you translate 100 words or less, yo know the alphabet.

WoWees8
    WoWees8

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

im starting to figure out some of the enchantments

SnowConez
    SnowConez

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1127 posts
  • Minecraft: SnowConez

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostXxbobmasterbxX, on 13 April 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

Apparently if you translate it all it makes no sense?
They make lead words, such as 'Priest' and 'Wet', but the sentences make no sense whatsoever, so you could come up with something like this: FOX WET BLEED PRIEST, and you could end up with the enchantment Looting II, which has nothing to do with sentence.
OT: I don't really think it is worth it, maybe as a small Easter egg, like a hieroglyphics tablet that works like a sign and displays a message in the SGA. As for the books that tell the story, I'd prefer if they kept any story elements out of the game, because one of the things that I like about these types of sandboxes is a LACK of story, so it leaves the story to you, and with all of the building and creative freedom you have in Minecraft, I think you SHOULD be able to make up every aspect of your world's story.
Posted Image Be caring, please help my dragon hatch by giving him a little click.

zAaZO9_
    zAaZO9_

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Minecraft: Harri45

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

delete your alternate, copy your default and rename it alternate then it is all in English!!! delete your alternate, copy your default and rename it alternate then it is all in English!!!Posted Image

Roxion
    Roxion

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

There's one way to find out the Enchants you can possibly get, we'll take the Protection for an Example, since Protection means Physical Protection, find P and S, and since most of the SGA Letters in the Enchanting Table are Random, except for the FIRST TWO Letters which is the actual enchant, find P and S in the SGA Above and find the Letter Coding in the Enchanting Table, and bam, you got the Enchantment u want.....

Bumber
    Bumber

Portal Expert

• Members
  • 5000 posts
  • Location: Loafing around like bread and growing binary trees.
  • Minecraft: rwilliams1990

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostRoxion, on 20 May 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

There's one way to find out the Enchants you can possibly get, we'll take the Protection for an Example, since Protection means Physical Protection, find P and S, and since most of the SGA Letters in the Enchanting Table are Random, except for the FIRST TWO Letters which is the actual enchant, find P and S in the SGA Above and find the Letter Coding in the Enchanting Table, and bam, you got the Enchantment u want.....
[Citation Needed]

Edit: It's definitely wrong. 3 level 30 enchants on diamond swords starting with "ME" (mental): 2 contained Bane of Arthropods (plus extra stuff on one,) and the 3rd was just Smite. Don't spread untruths.
Spoiler:
I lurk sometimes. I don't post anymore.

rockycraft

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostGreenis Creepis, on 25 January 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

Not directed at OP, but. Why have a made up galactic alpha bet, when we already have an alphabet.   This is minecraft, not some hardcore translation game shinannigans. Jesus.  I cant stand enchantments how they are random and you cant understand them.  Tell that to a new kid playing the game.  See this nonsense kid?  You will never use this galactic alpabet crap in your life.  Waste of time.   (pretending minecraft isn't already subjectively a waste of time  Posted Image)

I'm a kid. I can almost write BOTH alphabets he showed me. :P

ironsword99
  • Minecraft: ironsword99

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

I think it'd be more interesting if the words were coherent and somewhat showed you what enchantment it was. One possible method would be to set each enchantment a group of words and have the table randomly select a few out of it.

For example:
The enchantment is Looting. There are several words for Looting: riches, demon, animal, slay, extra, and a few more. The Enchantment Table then randomly chooses 2 or 3 words from this list; for example, "riches", "demon", and "slay". These three words are then shown in the Table in the SGA and any player willing to devote the time and effort can translate the words and figure out what they're hinting at.

reddeath2003

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostSubliminaLX, on 25 January 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Oh dear.
You haven't ever player Commander Keen have you?

http://en.wikipedia..../Commander_Keen

Notch used the galactic alphabet from that game, sort of a nod at an old game worth remembering.

I think your wrong Posted Image  bro :P i used it and it worked you dont need to be a jerk about it D:< Posted Image

Badprenup
    Badprenup

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 10973 posts
  • Minecraft: Badprenup

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

View Postreddeath2003, on 29 May 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

I think your wrong Posted Image  bro Posted Image i used it and it worked you dont need to be a jerk about it D:< Posted Image
...What are you even talking about? The post you quote explains that the use of the language is a homage to another game and your response is that he is wrong because you used it (used what?) and that he is being a jerk.

Seriously, what?
Looks like my free time is going to be divided equally between Minecraft suggestions and Starbound suggestions from now on.

CheesyDoesMC
  • Minecraft: eatoften

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Can you teach me how to use this?

Spaceboot1

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

View PostCheesyDoesMC, on 07 June 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

Can you teach me how to use this?

Do you have a pencil and a piece of paper? No? Go get one. Okay, got it? Here's what you have to do: go back to the top of this thread, and use your pencil and paper to copy what you see in the first image. The one under Standard Galactic Alphabet. The one with all the letters of the alphabet and the funny symbols.

Now, do you know how to install fonts onto your computer? No? Go learn how to do that. Learned now? Okay good, now click on this link here: http://www.3drealms....enhistory3.html and find where it says to "download a TTF font for Windows". Click there, download the zip file, and use your knowledge of fonts to install the font onto your computer. Try it out in your favourite word processor.

As for posting on message boards in SGA, that's tricky, because other people would have to be using a SGA font in order to see what you've written in SGA. If they don't have the right font, they'll just see normal English text, which you don't want. You're just going to have to resort to posting images. So write what you want to write in a word processor, then take a screenshot, crop your screenshot, upload to an image host, and then post as an image with [img] tags in your forum post.
I think you are going to love my Survival Let's Play series on YouTube! It's called Spaceboot1's Garden. I make pretty things.

Want to play Minecraft SSP like Spaceboot1? Try my modpack, all mods made by me, Spaceboot1!

Deonyi
    Deonyi

Enderman Ender

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 9044 posts
  • Minecraft: Deonyi

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Wrong section.

The correct section is Minecraft Discussion.

OT: I like the alphabet although I would prefer Braille more as it sort of respects blind people and also is more pixelly.

Posted Image