• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Tips on not getting lost

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Toodledooman

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

So I hate wandering off and then not being able to find my house/base again. It just happened now, i absentmindedly started exploring, turned around and thought i was heading in right direction, but i wasnt. The sun started going down and then i remember my house faces the sunset, so i started walking away from the sunset and entered the snowy biome that i call home.
Now im just wandering the snowy biome looking for my house, which is funny cause my house was on the biggest mountain in the area. =P

Anyway, how do you guys not get lost/find your house again.

PS I dont have a compass on this world i was using.

Register or log in to remove.

awsomeguy77
  • Minecraft: awsomeguy77

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

press f3 write down coords

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. -Douglas Adams

Durracel
    Durracel

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3802 posts
  • Minecraft: Durracel

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

dig 2x2x3 hole
fill with water
build tower to top of world
place torch on top
jump into pool
look for tower when lost
the secret of flyiing
Spoiler:
Posted Image

TheCoffeeBoy

Or just make a map. Or make a compass and make a trail from your spawn point to your house.

LexumasXIII
  • Minecraft: LexumasXIII

You could get a of minimap mod and mark your home as a waypoint. Go to the "mods" forum and search minimap.
I can tolerate ads. I can tolerate buffering. However, I can NOT tolerate ads buffering.

tapfer486
  • Minecraft: tapfer

Rei's Minimap mod.  I got lost so easily before I learned how to install mods, now I use Rei's Minimap whenever I can!  =D   If you don't know how to install mods, it's pretty easy to figure out with a decent teacher.

Posted Image

Doug_Rattmann
  • Location: Behind the walls of Aperture Science. Eating beans and drinking milk.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

I always take note of my co-ordinates if I go exploring. :)

The only way I know of, if I get lost without a compass, is to cheat and use MCEdit to take my player back to spawn.
Posted Image

NinjamesVDS
    NinjamesVDS

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1000 posts
  • Minecraft: JamesVDS

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

1) Make trail from spawn to house
2) Make compass

Can't go wrong.

Posted Image

Rufus
    Rufus

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2231 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

Just leave a trail of torches as you go. If you don't want to go back to the place you end up then collect the torches again on the way back. If you do want to go back there, leave the torches and put a sign at the beginning of the trail to say where it goes.
Posted Image

Durracel
    Durracel

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3802 posts
  • Minecraft: Durracel

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

View Posttapfer486, on 25 January 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

Rei's Minimap mod.  I got lost so easily before I learned how to install mods, now I use Rei's Minimap whenever I can!  =D   If you don't know how to install mods, it's pretty easy to figure out with a decent teacher.

is it just me or does this sound like one of those ads where they "interview people"
the secret of flyiing
Spoiler:
Posted Image

tricker1266
  • Minecraft: Tricker126

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

View Posttapfer486, on 25 January 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

Installing mods is really easy over all, if you call installing mods hard. You shouldn't try to run your own Minecraft server with a crap load of plugins.

xenoflot

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

Rei's map mob really is awesome. The trouble with the tall tower landmark is that sooner or later it's going to be out of render range. With Rei's you can set waypoints which will always guide you home.

The craftable map in game is of limited value IMO as it doesn't move with you and you can only own one.

Of course only a trail of torches will work underground :)

shdwkt84403123123
  • Minecraft: mrminer84403

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

Simple. I don't go far from my jungle tree house.
Posted Image

exe626
    exe626

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Minecraft: prof

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

watch which way the sun/moon rises and sets, and remember that when you travel.

OwenWithAHammer

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

dont go out if your gona get lost, i just have a good sence of direction, so i dont get lost

View PostSethBlue, on 07 October 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

No. No. Look, heres a line: |    << See that Mojang? Thats a line. Now heres you:   |  o << You have simply

CROSSED THE LINE

Stingra
    Stingra

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:33 AM

Be observant of your surroundings, memorize landmarks, general direction of the sun/moon/clouds in relation to your house. If it makes it easier, assign names to places that really stand out in the game.

For example: I have a mountain with a giant hole through the middle near my base. I call it The Keyhole, and I call the valley my base is in 'Moon Bowl", due to how circular it is and rimmed with mountains, and how I found it in the middle of the night.

Obviously the best solutions have already been mentioned, but knowing what the land around your home looks like is a big plus to helping you get home.
Like Minecraft and other video games? Of Course you do!
Check out my Youtube channel here! http://www.youtube.com/user/stingra87

Xnut
    Xnut

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

Well, lets start with summarizing the facts.

You are lost and can no longer find your home after being out exploring.
You probably have not walked more than one days march away from your home (probably a bit less as you might not have walked in a straight line and you probably didn't start walking at the break of dawn).

Therefor your home base is no more than one days march in any direction.

I would advice that you make yourself a small outpost shelter with a large land mark. Stay the night in your new shelter and start exploring at the next morning. Walk in a straight line in any given direction. I would advice that you take the N, W, S, E directions first as they are the easiest to follow. If you have not found your home by nightfall make another shelter, stay the night and walk back to your outpost.
Bringing a bed might or might not be a good idea. Using the bed makes this much quicker as you can skip nights, but you will loose the ability to return home by suiciding.

The next day you pick another direction and repeats the same thing.
After you have tried the four major directions you can try walking in the SE, SW, NW and NE direction. When you move diagonal across the blocks you might run the risk of loosing the straight line so I will advice that you leave some "breadcrumbs" in the form of torches or cobblestone.

Should this method fail you will need to start over again, but this time walk for two full days in every direction.

Izago
    Izago

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Minecraft: sockler

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Just make a temporary base and mine until you can make a compass. Then follow it and hopefully your base will be nearby. Unless your base isn't near your spawn in which case... why isn't it near your spawn?  :P
Posted Image

SirSmuggler

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

View Postxenoflot, on 25 January 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

The craftable map in game is of limited value IMO as it doesn't move with you and you can only own one.
You can own alot more then one map. The only problems with them is that they will allways be centered on the location they where crafted at. So bring the materials and a crafting table to a new area you want a map of.

I find the maps to be very usefull.

Dairuka
    Dairuka

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1426 posts
  • Minecraft: Dairuka

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

• Leave little man-made landmarks. I used to use single Wood Planks.
  • Craft a Compass and Map in game.
  • Press F3, write down coordinates on your main location. (Waypoint)
  • Download Rei's Minimap Mod.

Ever seen 12,000 blocks of Obsidian towering over the world? I have, I built it. Go see.
Moraterra Single Player Survival - Last Updated: September 16, 4:00 PM PST