• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

The Biome selector!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: The Biome selector! (6 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about the selector

1. It would be great to have this in the game (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. It needs a few tweaks before it gets in the game (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. It is way to overpowered to have(post why) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I don't like it (post why) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

HenkieDePost
  • Minecraft: HenkieDePost

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

introduction
Hello, I have been writing suggestions on this forum for a long time now, and I also watch other topics and parts of the forum. I read lately that a lot of people are angry because every time there is an update lately, their worlds will all get screwed up and they need to make a new world because of the changes and such. I then thought, what about a selection of biomes? The idea is simple, but making it may be harder (I'm not a great coder so I don't know), but here it is:

The generater when you make your world
I think it would be great that you get the option to make worlds just like you want. This is how it works, make a new world. But before you actually create it go to the world properties menu. There you can click on the biome selection. The biome selector will give you an overview of all the biomes you can choose one. If you start it for the first time, every biome will be selected, meaning that every biome will spawn in your newly created world. If you want a world which only has swamps, deselect every other biome and the world will only consist of a giant swamp. This way you can spend more time in biomes you want to be in, and spending less times in biomes you don't want to be in. Imagine a giant jungle for an example.

The generator in your world
When you're in your world, and you're sick of all the jungles you have encountered so far, go to the game options again. There you will also see the biome selection option. If you then click mushroom island for an example, the game will then spawn mushroom islands or jungles in a newly generated chunk. This means you can switch the biomes in game. Whenever a new biome has been added, let's say the jungle for an example, it will be deselected in a world that already exists at first. If you want to add it, you can select the biome and it will pop up in the newly selected world.

Con's and defenses against those con's
'This can be a little easy, because the player can then spawn biomes as he wishes.'
That is why I have came up with these 2 solutions. When you create a new world you will get a pop up asking you the following: Do you want to be able to change the biome set up in game? If you click no, you can't change the biome generation in the map EVER, if you click yes, you can change the biome generation in game, but whenever you enable a biome, you can't turn if off anymore. This prevents the following. The player is in a desert and needs wood. He then disables biome other than forests, and walks towards the forest. He then get's wood, and turns the forest off again. This won't work because you can't turn the forest off again. If you 'need' a biome for something, you have to live with it for the rest of your life in that world.

This ends my suggestion, how do you guys feel about this?
'I once dug a pit and filled it with clouds....or was it clowns.... it doesn't matter, it didn't slow him down. But it really began to smell! Must have been clowns. Clouds don't smell, they taste of butter. And tears.'
'Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese, true? You've run a maze like a good little rat. But no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little.'

Register or log in to remove.

Vekh
    Vekh

Stalker Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • Curse Premium
  • 4558 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

I like that idea.
Stop inspecting my post so closely.

Minecraft Fanatic
  • Minecraft: NaughtyMaid

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

That would ruin the fun in making new worlds and adventuring them if you already know what it is going to be.
Posted Image][/URL]

KrloOs
    KrloOs

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Minecraft: KrloOs

so you want to change already generated chunks for new ones in-game?? that sounds like a problem

KagamineBen1337
  • Minecraft: KagamineBen1337

Very interesting idea.
Guess what I'm not clicking on?
THAT LOUSY, GOOD-FOR-NOTHING DRAGON EGG OF YOURS.

L0gicaltightrope

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

I'd love it, but the desert would need shrubs or some other supply of wood, albeit small, as long as they can get a sapling or two at least.  It'd make a great mod.

Posted Image

HenkieDePost
  • Minecraft: HenkieDePost

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

View PostMinecraft Fanatic, on 19 January 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

That would ruin the fun in making new worlds and adventuring them if you already know what it is going to be.

'select every biome and you get a random world just like you had before'. Having this in the game doesn't means that you have to use it, but I would like a 100% jungle and river world.

View PostKrloOs, on 19 January 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

so you want to change already generated chunks for new ones in-game?? that sounds like a problem

How do you mean? If you change the biome selection the chunks that already exist will be the same. The biomes you added to the list will only be made in new chunks, not in existing ones.
'I once dug a pit and filled it with clouds....or was it clowns.... it doesn't matter, it didn't slow him down. But it really began to smell! Must have been clowns. Clouds don't smell, they taste of butter. And tears.'
'Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese, true? You've run a maze like a good little rat. But no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little.'