• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Allocated memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Narcisism

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Is there a way to increase the Allocated memory? I have problems (in indev, not infdev) getting decent FPS with huge maps, but Normal maps are too.... small, so I wondered if there was a way to increase the memory, and hopefully increase FPS. ^_^
Youtube: TheEzzran (but I don't have anything uploaded yet. Stupid computer not liking recording)
I'll be using that youtube account to upload Minecraft Let's Plays when I get a better computer Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Dysgalt
    Dysgalt

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Members
  • 1125 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

What is your computers amount of ram?

LG_Legacy
    LG_Legacy

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3718 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:40 AM

Increasing allocated memory requires to go into the java CP and add a certain value.

Start Menu
Control Panel
Java Icon
Java tab/display
Hit/click on view
In the Parameters for your product (IF theres more than one, add it in all.) Add this: -xmx512m
Change the 512 to amount of allocated memory you require.

#Minecraft ChanOp
#MinecraftHelp ChanOp
#SMP Channel Founder/Owner
#Archives ChanOp

Roujo
    Roujo

Carpenter

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hi! =)

I have done exactly that (going to the Java CP and adding the memory parameters), but my allocated memory still caps at 247 MB. Going into the Processes tab of the Task Manager shows the Java VM actually taking up the memory passed through the parameters, though. Am I missing something here, or is it normal? =)

My symptoms are as follows: the game loads and plays fine, then after a while (~1-2 minutes) the screen freezes for a second everytime I move, and then unfreezes as if nothing happened. It puzzles me that it runs like this, as I've been playing games like Perfect World and Runes of Magic at full graphics on this laptop. Ok, it wasn't all that smooth, but it was still more playable than how MineCraft is acting at the moment. =P In fact, when playing the game on an old desktop computer at college (early dual cores, 1 Gb of Ram, onboard video card), I actually have a better performance! =P

(tl;dr: My game freezes randomly, when it otherwise works really smoothly.)

If it helps, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on a LG R500 laptop. I have 2 Gb of RAM, and a Dual Core T8100 CPU @ 2.10 Ghz. My video card is a GeForce 8600M GS.

EDIT: Just mentioning these in case someone thinks it might be the problem: My drivers and Java are up-to-date.
EDIT 2: Also, I've run a scan and I have no viruses or such. =P

UPDATE: I tried to use Firefox instead of Chrome, and I haven't experienced the issue. Maybe Java and Chrome don't mix all that well?

Zuriki
    Zuriki

Forum/Wiki Sponsor

• Curse Premium
  • 5317 posts
  • Minecraft: gdscei

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

Well I use Chrome and there is no problem. You can increase the allocated memory with Firebug (plugin for Firefox) and editing the parameters for the embedded object. It's not efficient but works.

LG_Legacy
    LG_Legacy

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3718 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

The freezing, if you're talking about /Indev/ then it sounds like the lighting is taking place, it lags for everyone.

If you're in creative then it sounds like massive physics is taking place.
#Minecraft ChanOp
#MinecraftHelp ChanOp
#SMP Channel Founder/Owner
#Archives ChanOp

Roujo
    Roujo

Carpenter

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:54 PM

I'm talking about /indev/, and it happens at random times, even in the middle of the day while I'm outside.

In any case, I have a smooth playing experience on Firefox, so I'm ok! =)

Thanks for the help! =)

BambiTheMaggot

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Reviving old threads ftw I know, but I get the error "Unable to access jarfile C:\Users\Bambihook\Desktop\Minecraft\Minecraft.exe"
Now that is the correct link to where it is stored. I have no idea what's wrong.