[1.6.x] Minema 2.0-beta3 - The smooth movie recorder

function ssp video movie 1.6

• Please log in to reply
1472 replies to this topic

BarracudaATA
  • Minecraft: barracuda

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

POPULAR

This mod allows you to record fluid movies in Minecraft, even if the video recording itself isn't.\nThis is made possible by a temporary modification of the game timer that ensures a constant game time passed between each frame, disabling any synchronization with the actual time.\nIn other words: performance doesn't matter for fluid videos anymore!

Technically, it can be compared with the startmovie command in Source engine or the fixed_time_step variable in CryEngine.

Here's a great introduction video by loook:

And Yogscast's review with more examples how to use Minema with other mods:

With this mod, you can easily record ridiculously complex scenes, like 32000 eggs and arrows spawned simultaneously at one point with random velocity:

If you always wanted to know how it looks like when you flood your world with thousands of creepers, take a look at this:

More videos:
Spoiler:

If you tried to record that with tools like Fraps, you would get nothing more than a slideshow. Even if your PC is fast enough for the targeted movie frame rate, it usually produces less smooth results than Minema. But keep in mind that this mod is designed for intermediate users that need to record cinematic or experimental Minecraft movies rather than for "normal" gameplay movies.

Changelog
2.0-beta3:
  • Some config loader bug fixes.
2.0-beta2:
  • Re-implemented chunk preloading.
  • Re-implemented smooth cam fix.
2.0-beta1:
  • Rewrote most of the code for Forge.
  • Replaced synchronization patch by a new method that should work together with most other mods.
  • Improved capturing performance for multicore CPUs.
  • Improved encoder detection that is now looking for more places for an installed encoder.
  • Extended overlay information.
  • Sound logging and capturing isn't supported yet, will be re-implemented later.
  • Note: tested for singleplayer only, will probably crash if you try to capture movies in multiplayer. Will be fixed later.
Spoiler:
Known bugs
  • Most pixel shaders won't work correctly.
  • After movie capturing is finished, the integrated server may go into a "fast-forward" mode to re-sync with the real time.

Download

Minecraft 1.6.x (Forge only):
Minema v2.0-beta3 (direct link)

Minecraft 1.5.x (Forge only):
Minema v2.0-beta2 (direct link)

Move the zip file to .minecraft/mods. Don't extract the file!

It is highly recommended to also install a video encoder to heavily speed up recording and save disk space:
  • Posted Image Windows: Download the latest x264.exe (32bit/64bit 8bit-depth) from x264.nl and move it inside "bin" in your Minecraft directory.
  • Posted Image MacOS X: Download the ffmpeg package for your MacOS X version from ffmpegmac.net, extract the zip and move the ffmpeg file inside "bin" in your Minecraft directory. Make sure that ffmpeg is flagged to allow execution (chmod +x ffmpeg).
  • Posted Image Linux: For Debian and alike (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.), install the x264 package via "apt-get install x264". For other distributions, you may need to compile it manually with the source code from videolan.org.
Other downloads:
Old versions: List
Java source code: List

Please let me know about any forks of this mod you want to publish!

Download and installation notes:
  • Click the adf.ly links to support me in the development of my mods, but feel free to use the direct links if you're in a hurry. Posted Image
  • Don't forget to remove the old installation when updating!
Usage
  • To start and stop a recording session, simply press F4. The key can be configured in the key bindings menu. A "plop" sound indicates the start of a new recording session.
Recommended third-party mods: Fan creations
Spoiler:

My other mods

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

TheEpicBlock
  • Minecraft: TheEpicBlock

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Oh my. This is great! Hope this is better than Fraps. :s

Domino
    Domino

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1406 posts
  • Minecraft: Domino

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

I've been waiting on something like this for a VERY long time!!

Kinda wish there was a demo like feature. Like you press f4 to record a demo and then when you play it back you can press another key to record it into a video at any fps you want.

Posted Image

yourfacey753

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

This is awesome!We can use this to make server videos for our server,IMinecraft(see signiture for IP)
THanks man..
for u :Diamond:

ANTI-MCBANS

Because FireStar can't be famous for this

Amber Tonerre

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

when im recording it lags as if i set off 5 nukes at the same time right in front of me can you fix this?
Posted Image
RvsB forevar!!!

BarracudaATA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

View PostDomino, on 07 January 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

I've been waiting on something like this for a VERY long time!!

Kinda wish there was a demo like feature. Like you press f4 to record a demo and then when you play it back you can press another key to record it into a video at any fps you want.
Oh yes, a demo recorder would be a great addition for this mod.

View Postyourfacey753, on 07 January 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

This is awesome!We can use this to make server videos for our server,IMinecraft(see signiture for IP)
THanks man..
for u :Diamond:
Keep in mind that I tested the mod for singleplayer only. In multiplayer, the client and server will most likely go out of sync, but you may give it a try anyway ;)
Posted Image

Amber Tonerre

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

also it doesnt record video it pretty much takes screenshots very fast
Posted Image
RvsB forevar!!!

BarracudaATA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostAmber Tonerre, on 07 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

when im recording it lags as if i set off 5 nukes at the same time right in front of me can you fix this?
Yes, it "lags" during recording because it takes some time to write all the image files, but the resulting video will play smoothly. You could try to change the format to jpg or use ffmpeg to speed up the recording.

View PostAmber Tonerre, on 07 January 2012 - 07:06 PM, said:

also it doesnt record video it pretty much takes screenshots very fast
Fraps and other tools do exactly the same, but fast enough so that you barely notice it. You can use ffmpeg to write video files instead of images, but it's not trivial to use it with this mod.
Posted Image

1x99
    1x99

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

:(it gives me so mutch lag!!! how do i fix it???  :(  :(  :(
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=336315]Posted Image[/url]

yourfacey753

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 07 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

Keep in mind that I tested the mod for singleplayer only. In multiplayer, the client and server will most likely go out of sync, but you may give it a try anyway ;)

i do know it is for Singleplayer,we just want to show what we have on our server MAP.
but thanks for te warning.
for you again. :Diamond:  :Diamond:

ANTI-MCBANS

Because FireStar can't be famous for this

1x99
    1x99

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

:(it gives me so mutch lag!!! how do i fix it???  :(  :(  :(
[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1032&t=336315]Posted Image[/url]

Domino
    Domino

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1406 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 07 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

I think it would be a lot easier than doing the frame recording in game. You could record a let's play without worrying about fps drops and when you're done you can start it up and start capture.

Would also be nice for moving camera angles. Start demo, record cam angle, stop record then cap demo.

Posted Image

BarracudaATA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Looks like my website went down temporary. I hope it will be fixed soon...  <_<

Edit: okay, it's working again.
Posted Image

Sevenedges
  • Minecraft: Sevenedges

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

As innovative and well-intentioned this mod is, at it's present stage it simply isn't useful in practice. An external program like Fraps or CamStudio easily accomplishes what this mod tries to do at a much smoother progression without using images as a middleman. However the ffmpeg support opens some leeway for the gods who understand all that fancy toomfoolery, and with a little work and a tutorial here or there it could be user-friendly for the rest of the community.

I'll be tuned in for updates.

Posted Image

Neon_ColorsFTW22
  • Minecraft: NeonColorsAero

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

So Cool! a in-game recording mod!

EDIT: Never mind more like a timelaspe mod but still COOL

Posted Image

Domino
    Domino

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1406 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostSevenedges, on 09 January 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

An external program like Fraps or CamStudio easily accomplishes what this mod tries to do at a much smoother progression without using images as a middleman.

This is completely false. Realtime capturing won't allow smooth video like processing frames would. I edit cod, css and quake. I know what capping with fraps and frames is like.

With fraps or a real time recorder, you won't have the freedom to use any FPS you like. You're restricted to what the program and computer power gives you. With frames you can use any fps you wish since it's not realtime and can process each frame. If i tried to record quake at 125fps with fraps i would get random lag spikes. If i recorded a demo and then recorded frames afterwards i could use 30, 60, 125...hell I've used 5000 before to get a high speed camera type shot.

This mod isn't for realtime capturing. It's for people that want very smooth video without worrying about lag spikes and fps drops.

View PostNeon_ColorsFTW22, on 09 January 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

EDIT: Never mind more like a timelaspe mod but still COOL

This mod doesn't capture at timed intervals (like every 30 seconds or a minute). It records frames per second.

See the quote above.

Posted Image

BarracudaATA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

View PostSevenedges, on 09 January 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

As innovative and well-intentioned this mod is, at it's present stage it simply isn't useful in practice. An external program like Fraps or CamStudio easily accomplishes what this mod tries to do at a much smoother progression without using images as a middleman. However the ffmpeg support opens some leeway for the gods who understand all that fancy toomfoolery, and with a little work and a tutorial here or there it could be user-friendly for the rest of the community.

I'll be tuned in for updates.
The image writing isn't really the best solution, I agree. But I left that in because I wanted this mod to be as lightweight as possible (Unix philosophy: "Write programs that do one thing and do it well."). There's another mod that is more similar to Fraps, VideoCraft, which comes in a 21 MB package. Not really acceptable IMHO.

But I could create a separate package that bundles ffmpeg and the config for it for one platform only. In this case, Windows probably. (Edit: done)

Anyway, this mod will probably never be really user-friendly. It's a special purpose recording tool, experimental by design. I wanted to share it in case it's useful for anyone else here.
Posted Image

Fogah
    Fogah

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Minecraft: Fogah

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Seems like your site is down again, maybe post a dropbox mirror :-)

Edit: never mind, tried to get the 1.0 version, which is why I got a 404 :-)

2nd edit: You bundled the 64 bit version of FFMPEG, which won't run on my 32 bit Win7 - Could you do a 32 bit version please?
You can not define talent.
All you can do, is build a greenhouse, and see if it grows.

BarracudaATA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

Oh damn, I forgot about that. I'll update the bundle, sorry :)

Edit: Okay, same download link, but with Win32 builds now.
Posted Image

Bardouli

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

If you combine this with the TV Mod, you can create a TV Channel inside minecraft.

All we need is a true camera settings/editing/FX mod.

That's the next step! :P
Posted Image