Latest News Article

[1.6.4] Mystcraft (0.10.11)

mystcraft dimension terrain corruption ssp smp weather

• Please log in to reply
12096 replies to this topic

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

View Postidgarad, on 07 February 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Any throughts for server operators to limit players to a certain amount of time before teleporting people out of mystcraft worlds? Two fold: A- To keep players from spending all their time in Mystcraft worlds hiding (especially for PvP servers) B- to cut down on larger server's admin log of "Help I am trapped because a creeper blew up my bookstand and overworld linking book (which on my test server is becoming all too common now that we have a lot of monsters to fight against, the Ogres are problematic, might have to disable their smash ability.).

I am really trying to force people to use Mystcraft dimensions for resource gathering versus the Overworld (they can only mine\destroy in territory they control in the normal overworld) but I am leaving the Mystcraft dimensions Free-For-All. Allowing them only a limited time in the dimension might be a good mechanic to keep them in the overworld more (e.g. "You feel a force growing drawing you back to your own reality....") Either the player hustles back to their book or they get a free ticket back to the default spawn (which can be a prety huge hike back to their base meaning a long walk of opportunity to get ganked along the way.
This is very very against canon and quite a bit heavy handed on top of that.  (Though I'm against anything where the only solution found is to print a status message, like bed mechanics in vanilla.)  If there's an addon that wants to do this I'll support them fully, but I would seriously argue against it being in the base mod.

For the issue of having players do something in ages and something in the overworld, simply make it a server rule.

If your players are incapable of following simple server rules, then you could prevent players from crafting descriptive books and in every age put a chunkloaded command block set to teleport the closest player to Overworld spawn on a regular basis.
I do stuff.

Ages of Mystcraft - Symbols released!  New symbols for Mystcraft!
Now working on Ages of Mystcraft - Tech and Ages of Mystcraft - Journals.

Register or log in to remove.

moonra
    moonra

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

I don't usually do this and I know it's annoying, but will the update be released soon? I haven't added Mystcraft to the world I'm playing right now and if the next version won't be taking too long to be released, I'd like to add that version, instead of the current one.

Draco18s
    Draco18s

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3388 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

View Postmoonra, on 08 February 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

I don't usually do this and I know it's annoying, but will the update be released soon? I haven't added Mystcraft to the world I'm playing right now and if the next version won't be taking too long to be released, I'd like to add that version, instead of the current one.

http://binarymage.co...ts-the-hold-up/
Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Keybounce

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

Any throughts for server operators to limit players to a certain amount of time before teleporting people out of mystcraft worlds? Two fold: A- To keep players from spending all their time in Mystcraft worlds hiding (especially for PvP servers) B- to cut down on larger server's admin log of "Help I am trapped because a creeper blew up my bookstand and overworld linking book (which on my test server is becoming all too common now that we have a lot of monsters to fight against, the Ogres are problematic, might have to disable their smash ability.).

I am really trying to force people to use Mystcraft dimensions for resource gathering versus the Overworld (they can only mine\destroy in territory they control in the normal overworld) but I am leaving the Mystcraft dimensions Free-For-All. Allowing them only a limited time in the dimension might be a good mechanic to keep them in the overworld more (e.g. "You feel a force growing drawing you back to your own reality....") Either the player hustles back to their book or they get a free ticket back to the default spawn (which can be a prety huge hike back to their base meaning a long walk of opportunity to get ganked along the way.

Hmm...

Are you OK with myst ages being "spammed", use for a bit, and then abandoned and discarded as uninhabitable?

You can accomplish this with appropriate amounts of white decay, and barricades. This will effectively restrict them to limited amounts of time before white makes it pointless to stay any longer.

I had suggested the idea of a mod that makes a PvP arena symbol. It would place white decay at x*100, z*100, except at the 0,0 column, at various heights, along with a wall of obsidian along the 512 lines, and a glass roof. If that's too much, make it 2*x+1, 2*z+1 (in other words, the odd hundreds instead of all hundreds). Additionally, large amounts of white along the 510 lines

White can grow through obsidian, and glass, giving you eventually a closed "dark" box of bright white. You can mine, but eventually you'll have to leave.

Needs a mod for that, along with the idea of "all books with the initial link made by a character not in creative mode must get this symbol added".
My channel with Mystcraft, and general Minecraft Let's Plays: http://www.youtube.com/user/Keybounce
** NEW: FtB "Magic Farm", performance testing and java flags.
My main world: http://www.minecraft...ts-play-series/
(season 3 is officially on hold for performance issues; season 2 has "teasers" at the start of each episode, I apologize for confusion)

Kalmondo
    Kalmondo

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 360 posts
  • Minecraft: kalmondo

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

The big problem with this idea, is that it has nothing to do with Myst. Myst is a game series, buy it on gog.com if you have not played it, that started with the library island of Myst. There is nothing in the Myst lore that suggest forced evacuation, unless you count decay, and that is less forced evacuation then a death threat.

idgarad
    idgarad

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I think the simplest solution is going to be to code a simple mod that if a player is not in in the overworld, start a timer that progressively warns them "You are losing your grasp on this reality" then eventually teleports them back to the main world spawn point if they aren't back in the main world before the timer runs out. I would like to see an option in Mystcraft for certain types of decay to be mandatory in all spawned worlds, I think that might be a decent compromise to help server admins that choose to use Mystcraft and still maintain a pvp environment.

TechedZombie

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

I like this mod but it can get Glitchy and i have trouble with Crashing after using Mystcraft worlds any ideas?

Keybounce

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

View Postidgarad, on 08 February 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

I would like to see an option in Mystcraft for certain types of decay to be mandatory in all spawned worlds, I think that might be a decent compromise to help server admins that choose to use Mystcraft and still maintain a pvp environment.
Not sufficient. I can give you a config that will give you about 30-40 minutes before white decay overwhelms you -- that's enough to do mining, and then be forced to leave. I can give you a modification (simple) that changes it to 10-15 minutes with no time to mine anything other than coal and iron (diamonds won't even survive, and I'm not sure that any of the 30-and-belows will.) You could try to find a reasonable compromise, and see if it works.

But it won't force the players to leave the age. As long as they stay on the move, they can keep generating fresh chunks. Unless there is a barrier it won't actually kill the age for them.

That requires a wall of white decay; that requires a PVP specific mod to add a new generation symbol/behavior.

http://pastebin.com/VgA1Pvw4 -- Beta 3 / release candidate 1, from december.

(Hmm, my local file is dated a couple of days ago ... did it get an accidental touch?)

EDIT: No, the first config -- forcing white decay -- is unchanged. The meteor config has had the instability value upped a bit

EDIT 2: Forgot to say: That's a config for Custom Ore Generation, to force generating white decay as a type of ore.
My channel with Mystcraft, and general Minecraft Let's Plays: http://www.youtube.com/user/Keybounce
(season 3 is officially on hold for performance issues; season 2 has "teasers" at the start of each episode, I apologize for confusion)

Kalmondo
    Kalmondo

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 360 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostTechedZombie, on 08 February 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

I like this mod but it can get Glitchy and i have trouble with Crashing after using Mystcraft worlds any ideas?

Sounds like the garbage collection issue in java....then again, I always blame it on that. Keybounce will be sure to jump in and correct my if I am mistaken.

Keybounce

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostTechedZombie, on 08 February 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Without the forge logs we have no clue what's happening.

What do you mean by "Glitchy"? What happens with the crash?

Kayfat
    Kayfat

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I love the series of myst ...
Здесь должна быть какая-то многозначительная фигня,но её тут нет...печально.

CorruptionPvP

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Awesome mod! I really like it!

hoodedpsycho193

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

I was wondering if i could include your mod in my private server modpack?

Draco18s
    Draco18s

Glowstone Miner

• Members
  • 3388 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

View Posthoodedpsycho193, on 09 February 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

I was wondering if i could include your mod in my private server modpack?

Dude.  Original post.

View PostXCompWiz, on 04 January 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

You can install and play this mod wherever and however you see fit. Posted Image  You may have fun playing this mod. Posted Image
Modpacks are not allowed excepting those that already have permission. 'Private' packs are allowed, but have restrictions as below.  I will only consider approving modpacks which use the FTB Launcher and distribution.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

jmarchus
  • Location: The Aether, Trying to Parkour Across Empty Space....
  • Minecraft: jmarchus

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

• Mystcraft is not working nicely with the Forgotten Nature mod. When I create an age, the terrain never loads, and it's just the void; I know I don't have the "void" generation symbol selected. My inventory is empty like it is before an age generates, so I my linking books are not in my inventory; therefore I am stuck in a permanent void world...
  • Also, if I have the "overcast" weather symbol selected, no matter what biome I am in, there will be desert grass and foliage shading which doesn't really look pretty. :(
  • Another glitch, I think, is the biomes that spawn: for example, I create a world with forest and jungle hills biome, and I find a desert biome. '???' Like the Forgotten Nature Mod glitch above, I have not selected any Forgotten Nature biome symbols (yes, it properly adds symbols), and when I bring up the debug screen, it always says "Snowy Redwood Forest Hills", or whatever that biome is.
  • I would also like the biomes to generate what they have in vanilla. Like tiagas should generate pine trees, and frozen ocean, well, frozen ocean. This is mainly a problem in cave worlds, I have noticed.
  • This rather relates to the above. I think hell biomes should generate nether-like terrain, even though their code doesn't require them to. Lakes should be always replaced with lava lakes, and random lava should be generated, well, randomly. This biome generation should also be hilly, and spawn nether creatures. Maybe you could make this generation have permanent unstable properties, like charged, scorched surface (likely), meteors, or spontaneous explosions (also likely).
It would be great if you could fix these glitches, as well implement these new features....
Posted Image

https://www.facebook.com/AetherMod

Kalmondo
    Kalmondo

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

View Postjmarchus, on 10 February 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Mystcraft is not working nicely with the Forgotten Nature mod. When I create an age, the terrain never loads, and it's just the void; I know I don't have the "void" generation symbol selected. My inventory is empty like it is before an age generates, so I my linking books are not in my inventory; therefore I am stuck in a permanent void world...    

I have never heard of this mod. If you have a link, I would be happy to try to see what I can do. However, no mod can promise to be compatible with every mod that exist. It honestly sounds to me like your computer is unable to generate the age for you. I have sometimes had to exit minecraft all together and return to get it to generate enough chunks to put me some where.

Also, if I have the "overcast" weather symbol selected, no matter what biome I am in, there will be desert grass and foliage shading which doesn't really look pretty. Posted Image

Are you talking about when you are randomly generating worlds? Like not writing anything in? If you don't put in a weather symbol, it will choose one at random. I almost always get eternal rain, or eternal snow. It is quite vexing.

Another glitch, I think, is the biomes that spawn: for example, I create a world with forest and jungle hills biome, and I find a desert biome. '???' Like the Forgotten Nature Mod glitch above, I have not selected any Forgotten Nature biome symbols (yes, it properly adds symbols), and when I bring up the debug screen, it always says "Snowy Redwood Forest Hills", or whatever that biome is.

Usually a result of not putting in enough biome symbols. Try putting in 3 or more.

I would also like the biomes to generate what they have in vanilla. Like tiagas should generate pine trees, and frozen ocean, well, frozen ocean. This is mainly a problem in cave worlds, I have noticed.

Trees don't grow underground, and water only freezes if there is nothing over it. With cave worlds generally are fully covered, I would not expect this "fix"

This rather relates to the above. I think hell biomes should generate nether-like terrain, even though their code doesn't require them to. Lakes should be always replaced with lava lakes, and random lava should be generated, well, randomly. This biome generation should also be hilly, and spawn nether creatures. Maybe you could make this generation have permanent unstable properties, like charged, scorched surface (likely), meteors, or spontaneous explosions (also likely).

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the hell biomes are designed to generate like the nether. Though I don't know if one could make the lava bit easily. I understand that that could be laggy.

xeronut
    xeronut

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

• Mystcraft is not working nicely with the Forgotten Nature mod. When I create an age, the terrain never loads, and it's just the void; I know I don't have the "void" generation symbol selected. My inventory is empty like it is before an age generates, so I my linking books are not in my inventory; therefore I am stuck in a permanent void world...
Odd, I've had no issues with Forgotten Nature and Mystcraft at all.  I even went so far as to make an age with Deserts, Mountainous Desert (ExtraBiomesXL), Crystal Forests & Rivers/Lakes.  No problems whatsoever.  When I get the 'void age' issue you talk about above, it was either due to running the mod with caveworld/skylands enabled when Redpower2 is installed (generally a bad idea due to wonky marble generation) or just slow loading due to lots of trees spawning, in which case I just sit and wait for it to load.  After a minute or so the world pops up for me.

Veovis Muad'dib

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostKayfat, on 09 February 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

I love the series of myst ...
Always glad to see Myst fans finding this!

• Also, if I have the "overcast" weather symbol selected, no matter what biome I am in, there will be desert grass and foliage shading which doesn't really look pretty. Posted Image

• Another glitch, I think, is the biomes that spawn: for example, I create a world with forest and jungle hills biome, and I find a desert biome. '???' Like the Forgotten Nature Mod glitch above, I have not selected any Forgotten Nature biome symbols (yes, it properly adds symbols), and when I bring up the debug screen, it always says "Snowy Redwood Forest Hills", or whatever that biome is.

• I would also like the biomes to generate what they have in vanilla. Like tiagas should generate pine trees, and frozen ocean, well, frozen ocean. This is mainly a problem in cave worlds, I have noticed.
  • This rather relates to the above. I think hell biomes should generate nether-like terrain, even though their code doesn't require them to. Lakes should be always replaced with lava lakes, and random lava should be generated, well, randomly. This biome generation should also be hilly, and spawn nether creatures. Maybe you could make this generation have permanent unstable properties, like charged, scorched surface (likely), meteors, or spontaneous explosions (also likely).
It would be great if you could fix these glitches, as well implement these new features....

1.) First instinct is that you're talking about Redpower 2's marble crash.  If not, what kind of world generation does Forgotten Nature add?
2.) Known issue, there are a few ways this could be fixed but it's not a terribly high priority at the moment.  It occurs because Mystcraft overwrites the biome in order to provide eternal weather options.
3.) What biome controller were you using?  Native biome controller takes ZERO biomes and uses all valid overworld biomes.  It's creative only for this reason.
4.) Go to the surface.
  • Watch the latest streams, Hell biome will not do these things but players are free to.

I do stuff.

Ages of Mystcraft - Symbols released!  New symbols for Mystcraft!
Now working on Ages of Mystcraft - Tech and Ages of Mystcraft - Journals.

d34dl0ck
    d34dl0ck

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Random question. Do Ages get their own Nether? If I travel to an age I created and create a Nether Portal, will it generate a new Nether World, or connect me to the same one I get to from the Overworld?

Sorry if this is a repeat question or has been answered in a previous post. I couldn't find anything else about it.

Darmak
    Darmak

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

I don't think Nether portals work in Ages, to prevent players that forget to bring a linking book from getting back to the overworld.