mystcraft dimension terrain corruption ssp smp weather

• Please log in to reply
12108 replies to this topic

XCompWiz

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

News
Mystcraft has its own Forums now!  I no longer check here, and rarely post updates, so if you want to keep up-to-date with things or send me messages head on over there! :)

Read this before posting issues on the tracker!

Links
Blog
Forums
Mystcraft Page
Wiki
FAQ
Compatibility

*** BEFORE POSTING ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT YOUR WORLD BEING DESTROYED, read this critical link ***

Download
Head over to binarymage for the current releases.  The releases are published in blog posts, so simply seek for the most recent mystcraft post with links.
Note that there is only one Edition of Mystcraft now! The vanilla edition has been dropped and there is only the forge edition!

Support Mystcraft!
Posted Image

Pictures
See The Dev Screenshots

Videos
If you are still lost after 0.10, check out Direwolf20's Mod Spotlight!

Direwolf20's Mod Spotlight [0.10.0.00]
Direwolf20's Mod Spotlight [0.9.2.02]
Direwolf20's SMP LP [1.2.5][0.9.0-1]
OneEyeOpen's ModSpotlight [0.9.1.02]
Mystcraft first look with Keybounce [0.8.3]
Portals Demonstration [0.8.1]
Decay Block Mechanic [0.7.0DEV]
Flat and Skylands [0.7.0DEV]
Direwolf20's Mod Spotlight [0.8.0]
WayOfTime's Mod Spotlight [0.8.0]

Installation
See the wiki page on Installation

Compatibility
See the wiki page on Compatibility
I make no guarantees as to compatibility with other mods, including the ones listed above.

Bug Reports
Read this before posting issues on the tracker!
If you find a bug or experience problems I want to fix them.  However, if all you tell me is "Mystcraft made Minecraft crash, please fix it!" then I haven't a clue where to start.
First, make sure it isn't already listed on the bug tracker available from the dev page.
If you found a new one then congratulations!  Please create a new ticket describing the issue.
ALWAYS tell me ALL of the mods you have installed.  If the only mod you are using is Mystcraft please say so!  Otherwise I won't know.
When reporting bugs be sure to explain what you experienced and how to reproduce the event if you can.  Even inconsistent methods help.  What you were doing when a crash occured is a good start.
Thank you for helping to make Mystcraft better!

Necessary legal stuff:
The banner is a modified version of the image made by Froman
See the Mystcraft License on the Mystcraft Forums: License
If you want to include Mystcraft in a ModPack go to the this section of the Mystcraft Forums.  Any ModPack requests sent via PM will be ignored.

Edited by XCompWiz, 14 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Glett
    Glett

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

This is... a really cool idea! Needs a more appropriate name, though.

Totalbiscuit said:

You'll be a happier person if you're miserable all the time.

sev07knight
  • Minecraft: sev07knight

When you say ages, do you mean like medieval and futuristic? I would LOVE to have some neato armor from Roman times.
Posted Image

Display_Name_Here

but what does it do?

Ale_AKA_Sine
  • Minecraft: SineRequie

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

I don't understand... it create more maps?
Posted Image

XCompWiz

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Linkbooks take you to other dimensions, in the standard Minecraft terminology.  Ages are other dimensions.  Fixed first post.

Since I didn't actually get the next post (it just appended to my first) I'll have to add my upcoming list to the first post.

View PostGlett, on 04 January 2012 - 09:14 AM, said:

This is... a really cool idea! Needs a more appropriate name, though.
What would you suggest?  It's based on the game Myst and I wish to remain fairly true to that.
Posted Image

Collinw24
    Collinw24

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2010 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

This is fairly cool looking. I'll have to check it out.
-No trees were killed in the sending of this message. however, several million electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Jade Knightblazer

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

very sweet work!!! I been looking for a dimension mod rather then Bukkit. Thank you very much!!!

Possible to look into already saved worlds? (the ones in Saves folder). If so... Servers can have a main hub and allow players to jump around other worlds! While not leaving their poor home  for good.

Lastly, THANK YOU for the SMP Support!!! If someone created a banner for " SMP love ", I would sig it!

Posted Image

MaRul
    MaRul

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

I love linking books and this is a great idea. If people don't know about Myst they should look it up.

I you need to to the two different books.

Descriptive books "aka new ages"

Linking book "aka tp to where it was made"

Linking books not working in the same age.

So people mite as well make a home age and linking back to it for exploring.

The end has yet to be written.

Keep it up.
I love Tech. Tech of my minecraft: Minecraft (Metal Age), Redpower (Electrical Age), Buildcraft (Low Tech Age), Industrialcraft/Thermal Expansion (High Tech Age).

XCompWiz

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostJade Knightblazer, on 04 January 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

very sweet work!!! I been looking for a dimension mod rather then Bukkit. Thank you very much!!!

Possible to look into already saved worlds? (the ones in Saves folder). If so... Servers can have a main hub and allow players to jump around other worlds! While not leaving their poor home  for good.

Lastly, THANK YOU for the SMP Support!!! If someone created a banner for " SMP love ", I would sig it!

Thank you. :)

Hmmm...  Do you mean traveling to your other saves?  It doesn't do that (though you should be able to use old saves, I think.  Back them up first!), but I could look into how to... merge... your other worlds into one so that you could, potentially, link to them.  Though for this to work properly I would need to do a few things to ages.  Feasible, though not necessarily easy and it may take a lot of work on the user's part to create an age from a world.

View PostMaRul, on 04 January 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

I love linking books and this is a great idea. If people don't know about Myst they should look it up.
I you need to to the two different books.
Descriptive books "aka new ages"
Linking book "aka tp to where it was made"
Linking books not working in the same age.
So people mite as well make a home age and linking back to it for exploring.
The end has yet to be written.
Keep it up.

Currently linking books can take you to the same Age.  Mostly this made testing easy. :P
I may prevent it in the future.

Linking books are all one item, though I may use this distinction in how you create them later.

Posted Image

MaRul
    MaRul

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostXCompWiz, on 04 January 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Thank you. :)
Currently linking books can take you to the same Age.  Mostly this made testing easy. :P
I may prevent it in the future.

Linking books are all one item, though I may use this distinction in how you create them later.

I would love the favor since I am a Myst fan but ya some would see it as a negative I think.
I love Tech. Tech of my minecraft: Minecraft (Metal Age), Redpower (Electrical Age), Buildcraft (Low Tech Age), Industrialcraft/Thermal Expansion (High Tech Age).

Xorchloretuss

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

this mod is looking good in my eyes. and the smp support is always a good thing. anyway i hve some queestions or sugestions. the linkbooks are crafted with only a normal book? isnt that just very easy? for an item that can teleport you around dimensions i would expect maybe to cost gold or redstone also, lapizlazuri or even diamonds.

and when you teleport, do the book come with you? and also how do you return to your own dimension or age? in the pics there seems to be more than 20000 combinations possible. also, is it possible to craft a linkbook that can teleport you to an age, that happens to be another save? i am thinking about adventure maps here, for example, i have an smp server with two friends, we usually do adventure maps. i would be epic if we could just teleport directly to the adventure map and then back to our world without having to be switching saves.

so that, if is possible to craft a linkbook making you choose where do you want it to link? not chosing what biome, more like being able to choose as destination places that you already had visited. mainly the original world, so that we can always come back.

Jade Knightblazer

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostXorchloretuss, on 04 January 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

<snip>

I am on the same page as you :) I believe this could be one of the best dimension mods for non Bukkit. (If ages can be saves)

Posted Image

MaRul
    MaRul

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Ya maby a expensive ink mite off put the problem of it being so powerful.

I think this needs to be more like the two types of books that are in the Myst universe.

One for new ages and one to link (Teleport) to a picked spot.

DjGyarados
  • Minecraft: DjGyarados
  • Xbox:Portugal IV

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

This looks great, keep it up :)
Posted Image

Xorchloretuss

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

i really want to try this mod, but i am afraid that i am not going to see my homeworld again if i teleport Xd(is someone has seen sliders then you can compare my feelings) if there any way to know what linkwood teleports you back? in the first post it says 1/3 chance of being a home linkbook but how do you know that you have a home linkbook? age 0 perhaps? also i have other question (i was really waiting for a mod like this to come in smp) when you teleport to an age in which you have already been, does it teleport you always to the same spot? for example if my homeworld is age 1 and i go to age 2, do i always appear on the same cords in age 2? nd if i return to age 1 where do i appear? in the original spawn point of the world, or near my bed?.

sorry for all those questions but this mod has all my attention right now XD

Direwolf20

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Great job :).  I was a fan of the myst series as well.  I'd really like to see this mod continue!  

Have you considered a seperate recipe for books that link to the current age?  Gives you a little more control :). 1 recipe creates a 'new' age randomly, the other recipe links to your 'current' age.  

Anyway, I like it, and might just do a video for it! :)
Posted Image

xTwilight3
  • Minecraft: xTwilight

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Great job at not making it a ModLoader mod, I am sure it will be incompatible with every other content mod that exists for Minecraft.

The mod looks cool though.
Did my post help? Click the Posted Image on my post. It's 110% optional Popcorn smelting, old removed feature, new mod. :D

XCompWiz

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostXorchloretuss, on 04 January 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

this mod is looking good in my eyes. and the smp support is always a good thing. anyway i hve some queestions or sugestions. the linkbooks are crafted with only a normal book? isnt that just very easy? for an item that can teleport you around dimensions i would expect maybe to cost gold or redstone also, lapizlazuri or even diamonds.

and when you teleport, do the book come with you? and also how do you return to your own dimension or age? in the pics there seems to be more than 20000 combinations possible. also, is it possible to craft a linkbook that can teleport you to an age, that happens to be another save? i am thinking about adventure maps here, for example, i have an smp server with two friends, we usually do adventure maps. i would be epic if we could just teleport directly to the adventure map and then back to our world without having to be switching saves.

so that, if is possible to craft a linkbook making you choose where do you want it to link? not chosing what biome, more like being able to choose as destination places that you already had visited. mainly the original world, so that we can always come back.

View PostMaRul, on 04 January 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Ya maby a expensive ink mite off put the problem of it being so powerful.

I think this needs to be more like the two types of books that are in the Myst universe.

One for new ages and one to link (Teleport) to a picked spot.

Yes, it is very easy.  One of my TODO list items up there is to improve the writing mechanics.  This will solve
the 'ease' of writing as well as the issues of coming home, etc.  I'm planning on adding in a specialized crafting station (a writing desk) for making linkbooks.

I never really picked up on there being more than one kind of book involved in an Age.  I thought there were linking books and prison books (I don't have past Exile).  Seemed to me a descriptive book was a linking book.  This would make some things easier, though.

As for the saves thing (seems to be a popular idea, if you look up a bit.); it doesn't use other world saves.  I want to make that clear.  It creates other dimensions within the same save.
However, it might be possible to write something that can convert an existing world into an Age.  I'm going to look into it.  Most of it is pretty simple.  Note that the Nether and End dimensions for that world would be ignored.
If you want to try this (there will be a few odd results, like the world gen beyond what already exists) then simply copy the 'region' folder of the world into a folder named DIM<NUMBER>.  It would probably be best to create a linkbook, check what Age ID it uses, and then replace the 'region' folder within the DIM<Age ID> folder, rather than creating a DIM<Number> folder and then trying to get a linkbook there. :P  Hope that makes sense!

View PostXorchloretuss, on 04 January 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

i really want to try this mod, but i am afraid that i am not going to see my homeworld again if i teleport Xd(is someone has seen sliders then you can compare my feelings) if there any way to know what linkwood teleports you back? in the first post it says 1/3 chance of being a home linkbook but how do you know that you have a home linkbook? age 0 perhaps? also i have other question (i was really waiting for a mod like this to come in smp) when you teleport to an age in which you have already been, does it teleport you always to the same spot? for example if my homeworld is age 1 and i go to age 2, do i always appear on the same cords in age 2? nd if i return to age 1 where do i appear? in the original spawn point of the world, or near my bed?.

sorry for all those questions but this mod has all my attention right now XD
Age 0 is the Overworld, where you spawn normally.  If you don't have a linkbook back then, yes, we'll call you Quinn.  This is why they currently have such a high chance of binding to your current world.
The Ages have unique spawns.  Currently it is not possible to set the location to teleport to (simply uses the world spawn) though in the future it should be possible to set, like Age names.
If you die in an Age then you respawn near the book spawn.

There is currently a bug concerning beds, as mentioned in the main post.  If you have a bed spawn point set then, when you die, it will use the coords for the bed, but you will still be in whatever Age you died in.  Note that The End and The Nether are NOT Ages.

Glad to answers questions and that you are excited about it. :)

View PostDirewolf20, on 04 January 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Great job :).  I was a fan of the myst series as well.  I'd really like to see this mod continue!  

Have you considered a seperate recipe for books that link to the current age?  Gives you a little more control :). 1 recipe creates a 'new' age randomly, the other recipe links to your 'current' age.  

Anyway, I like it, and might just do a video for it! :)
Its a possible solution.  I'll keep it in mind.  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to have the writing mechanics.  I'm thinking my primary actions will be 'link here', 'copy link', and 'create new'.  I may make it possible to choose the biome and other Age data at this stage.

Glad you like it. :)  Good luck with the video.  You'll have to send me a link to it if you make one. :)  I need to do some as well.

View PostxTwilight3, on 04 January 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Great job at not making it a ModLoader mod, I am sure it will be incompatible with every other content mod that exists for Minecraft.

The mod looks cool though.

I'm glad it at least looks cool. ;)
I know, but I don't believe it CAN be a ModLoader mod.  I had to do some serious stuff to the world model, particularly on the server.  I might look into it, but I don't think ModLoader supports hotloading arbitrary dimensions.
And I believe I stated in the Installation section that it is likely to be 'incompatible with every other content mod that exists for Minecraft.' :P
Posted Image

DraxisWuf
    DraxisWuf

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1029 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:10 AM

Hm, this looks interesting.  I've been missing these kind of multi-world mods since switching from bukkit and I am a huge Myst fan (Uru forever!) Unfortunately, without at least modloader/mp compatibility I won't ever be able to use your wonderful mod; And I have the feeling that the majority of server admins will feel the same way.

I did take a look at the base classes, and your mod and modloader only share three. That's not terrible considering how many base classes your mod actually edits. I don't think, from what I've seen, that modloader inherently allows for the kind of thing you're doing. Modloader's world generation method access is lacking from what I hear.

However, I do think there's a good possibility for a compatibility patch.  I haven't looked at the actual code yet, but you'd need to merge the shared classes between this and modloader so they'll both work independent of eachother at least.

I was hoping not to get dragged into MC modding because I know I'll become obsessed, but this is just too important. If it's ok (And I'll try to ask Risugami as well), I'd like to at least attempt such a compatibility patch. Or at least help in the effort, if it's something you'd prefer to do yourself.

PS: Unfortunately you probably can't even consider compatibility with the Forge API. Way way too many shared base classes. It'd take forever and be a veritable feast of spaghetti code. But modloader support would be more important imho anyhow.