Fitfap
    Fitfap

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Minecraft: Fitfap

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hello, me again ._.

I tried connecting my 'very' old monitor, I think it's a Samsung LCD monitor but I have no idea how to find the correct model of it. Anyways, moving on. I plug the monitor's cable in my laptop, plug in the other cable into the power source. My external monitor doesn't display anything, it's just black and not a solid color. Same color when it was deactivated. My computer specs will be at the bottom of the post, if I won't forget lol. My intergrated video card is Intel HD Graphics 3000, and the non-integrated is nVidia GeForce GT 525M. The light on my external monitor flashes, every ... uhh ... well by the clock it's every second, when I press fn/f1 and select extend, then it extends my monitor to the external one. When I close my laptop (Not deactivate it) the external monitor works for approx 2 seconds but not always, happened twice only. My laptop monitor's resolution is 1600x900, and my external monitors resolution is 1280x1024. If I change the resolution of my laptop's monitor still same problem, as in nothing changes. In control panel/appearance and customisation/adjust display settings the external monitor is founded, as in active and mine aswell. For some odd reason I keep having problems that really catch my attention ... That's pretty much it.
My computer specs.:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Display adapters: Intel® HD Graphics Family (The integrated card); nVIDIA GeForce GT 525M

Any help is appreciated. :)
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

mihemine
    mihemine

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

normaly you need to push on a button on my computer it's F7 and there is a drawing on the button.

Fitfap
    Fitfap

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postmihemine, on 03 January 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

normaly you need to push on a button on my computer it's F7 and there is a drawing on the button.
No drawing for me neither does it work. :S F1 has a monitor, F2 has like, I don't know it's for internet wireless things, F3, F4, F5, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12, and the button next to F13 is like to mute. All others (F6, F7) are blank and have no actions / purpoises. Thanks anyway. :)
Posted Image

luckylpf
  • Minecraft: luckylpf

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Do you know if the monitor even works?

Hook up the monitor to your computer and power both on.

Right click on your desktop and find desktop resolution, click on the number 2 box that you should see.

I don't have 2 monitors anymore so this is off of my memory.  
Once you click on the number 2 box, it should give you an option to enable as secondary monitor, or maybe even a duplicate.  

I am well aware this will look weird due to the resolution differences, but we need to address functionality first.
I do not believe in a god, or higher power I am an atheist

Fitfap
    Fitfap

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Postluckylpf, on 03 January 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Do you know if the monitor even works?

Hook up the monitor to your computer and power both on.

Right click on your desktop and find desktop resolution, click on the number 2 box that you should see.

I don't have 2 monitors anymore so this is off of my memory.  
Once you click on the number 2 box, it should give you an option to enable as secondary monitor, or maybe even a duplicate.  

I am well aware this will look weird due to the resolution differences, but we need to address functionality first.
Yes the monitor works everything is fine, the only thing is that it doesn't display anything, but it DOES display itself on other computers (Only on my dad's laptop, on my old pc it can't plug in anymore lol.)
Let's take a look here ... I've made an image.
Posted Image
Posted Image

luckylpf
  • Minecraft: luckylpf

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

Have you tried setting the external as a primary?

With windows 7 you really shouldn't have to mess with the short commands like f5, f7, or whatever you use on your brand computer.
I know that each OEM sets up their keyboard a little differently.

Honestly, all you should have to do is hook them up, power them on, and set to extend display.

You may want to check to see if the monitor can switch between different inputs.
For example my monitor can switch between HDMI, DVI, and VGA.
I do not believe in a god, or higher power I am an atheist

Fitfap
    Fitfap

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

View Postluckylpf, on 03 January 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Have you tried setting the external as a primary?

With windows 7 you really shouldn't have to mess with the short commands like f5, f7, or whatever you use on your brand computer.
I know that each OEM sets up their keyboard a little differently.

Honestly, all you should have to do is hook them up, power them on, and set to extend display.

You may want to check to see if the monitor can switch between different inputs.
For example my monitor can switch between HDMI, DVI, and VGA.
No haven't, but I will do now. -No display on my laptop nor the external display.

Hook THEM? As in my laptop and my external display? What do you mean by that? Perhaps connecting my external display into my laptop (I know where if your wondering.) Power them on, as in turning on my external display (I connect the display while my laptop is active, nothing. Connect when laptop is inactive, nothing still), my laptop and set to extend display? That works. But the external monitor still isn't working. My dad is an engineer (Dispenser here!) and he also was playing around with this, nothing. He said that, it's something wrong with my computer cause on his laptop the monitor worked. We both have the same uhh ... input? It's blue and I don't know which it is. I have another monitor I use, it still works fine but we can't connect it either to mine or his (Not the correct input, it's white) which is 1366x768 resolution, and mine is 1600x900, my dad's 1366x768 too. So moving on, my monitor can only input with (Is that even correct? Makes no sense to me, I have bad english, but that's not an excuse anyways) ... uhh ... blue.
Maybe this will help somehow:
There are 6 buttons on my monitor. 1 is Menu, 2 is Contrast (?), 3 is Brightness (?), 4 is (Source? It says on top of the button), 5 has AUTO written on it, and 6 is the power button.
Posted Image