Satscape

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 306 posts
  • Minecraft: Satscape

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

POPULAR

IMPORTANT NEWS: Back when I started making Sim-U-Kraft, I had lots of spare time. Recently, this is not the case, I think if I were to continue with the fixes needed to get Sim-U-Kraft working with Minecraft 1.7+ it would take years, by which time Mojang would have updated again a few more times :-)
So, I’ve always had a “Plan B” if this were to happen. I’m going to do what they did with Buildcraft when SpaceToad took a break from making it and make Sim-U-Kraft “Open source”. So, anyone with Java programming knowledge can “clone” the source code, make changes to make it work with MC 1.7+ and make their own Sim-U-Kraft, either for your personal use or re-distribute it, all I ask is that you say it was “based on Sim-U-Kraft by Scott Hather” somewhere.

It’s been amazing fun making it, I’ve enjoying talking with people playing it on here, youTube and the MC Forum, and would also like to thank everyone who has collaborated with me in large and small ways... buildings, skins, making the wikis, the manual, posting suggestions, making “let’s plays” has all helped enormously!

Anyway, if you’d like to have a go, no need to ask permission or anything, the source code is ready and waiting over at BitBucket https://bitbucket.or...-kraft/overview I’ve added comments to the code, it includes the textures, skins, sound effects etc. If you’re not into programming, but know a mod author who might be interested, send them the above URL and they’ll know what to do with it.

I may come back to modding when Mojang release their proper API / toolkit, I have a couple of ideas for smaller mods and the API will make mods a lot easier to maintain, they won’t break things every time Mojang update Minecraft.

I’m keeping the Facebook page up (http://www.facebook.com/simukraft) so if you do make a new Sim-U-Kraft, post info about it to let others know, I’ll post any news I hear about too. In the meantime, you know you can use the Minecraft launcher to keep a profile set up for Minecraft 1.6.4 and Sim-U-Kraft 0.12.1 AND still play the latest Minecraft too, with all the mods/saves etc kept separate.

Thank you once again for your kind words and encouragement.

Bye for now,
Scott Hather AKA “Satscape”
‘retired’ author of Sim-U-Kraft

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sim-U-Kraft" is a Forge mod that extends and changes the Single player game-play by adding aspects of ‘Sim city’ and ‘The Sims’ to the game. As the player, you’ll employ “Sim-U-Folks” (NPCs) to do the following: Builder, Lumberjack, Miner, Wheat,Pumpkin,Melon,Potato,Carrot Farmers, Baker, Soldier, Shepherd, Grocer, Courier, Builder’s merchant, Butcher, Pig farmer, Cattle farmer, Chicken farmer, Terraformer, Glass maker…more added with each update!
Start a new game or an existing map and “Sim-U-Folks” will wander into town. As you start off with only 10.00 Sim-U-Credits, the first thing would be to employ a Sim-U-Folk to build a house, they will then move in and start paying you rent each day. You can then use this money to employ more Sim-U-Folks to build up a huge city.
Posted Image
There's Sim-U-Markers you can craft and place down (similar to buildcraft landmarks), you use these to mark out farming and mining land, as well as 'photocopying' a building structure, so your Sim-U-Folks can build it elsewhere and you can share your buildings with other players. There are over 200 buildings already built-in with more added by fellow Sim-U-Kraft players.

Anyway, enough words, you can find the download link for the mod, a PDF manual, a video introduction and video tutorials on my web site

Cheers and have a happy new year,
Satscape

- Official Web site - http://satscape.word...om/sim-u-kraft/ (Download latest versions and older ones)
- Sim-U-Kraft WIKI http://sim-u-kraft.w....com/Sim-U-Home
- Online building store catalog http://sim-u-kraft.w...e+Store+Catalog
- To report a bug you've found, please go to http://pastebin.com/ and paste the crash log on there, I will automatically get an email alert whenever a crash log is for Sim-U-Kraft.

- Sim-U-Kraft suggestion box https://simukraft.uservoice.com/
- Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Simukraft
- Twitter feed (copy of anything posted to Facebook) http://www.twitter.com/simukraft/

How do I feed them? How do I get more credits? When do more folks arrive? - These any other FAQs are answered in the WIKI, Manual, my youTube video tutorials and Let's play series...

Please watch my video introduction and tutorial videos to get the most from this mod.

You can also watch my "Let's play sim-u-kraft" series...

Let's play Minecraft with Mods (including Sim-U-Kraft)

How to install Forge and Sim-U-Kraft

Scott 'Satscape' Hather - Minecraft addict and mod-crafter.
Creator of 'Sim-U-Kraft' - available at My website -  Watch my youTube Videos too, youTube username: SatscapeMinecraft

Register or log in to remove.

xXiheadshotXx

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

This is a awesome mod ill download it later but looks like it took a while too make well done :)
Posted Image

Rahting
    Rahting

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Man i love this mod but sometimes building is a little bugged. like i tell my worker to build a lumber mill and the guy builds over the chest...so ya

Hikachan
    Hikachan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1194 posts
  • Minecraft: SazukaEtoile

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi there I just downloaded this mod and i hired the dude that showed up. i constructed a builder box then place a chest next to it and put 64 planks 64 wool and 64 glass inside. The dude teleported to where I put the building block down.I told him to build a small house  and it says he's looking at blue prints for the small house but he doesn't build anything. What am I doing wrong? Thanks you.

Posted Image

.girdance.
  • Minecraft: girdance
  • Xbox:girdance2310
  • PSN:NewEra_Jessy

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

This is a nice mod, and has some great potential.. I'll be checking this thread daily! ^.^ Good Job!
When life gives you lemons, clone them and make super lemons! :D

LockedBirdcage
  • Minecraft: HellUnicorn

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

This is really awesome. 8D

Hikachan
    Hikachan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1194 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

ok so I got it to work and it's pretty awesome I must say.Question though, Is there a way i can find out how many of each resource each of the different buildings cost? And also i built the apartment building and it has a stair case leading up to the roof of the building so If I want to build a second story to the apartment do I just place the constructor box on the second floor and just build the same apartment again? Thanks

Posted Image

Satscape
    Satscape

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostHikachan, on 03 January 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

ok so I got it to work and it's pretty awesome I must say.Question though, Is there a way i can find out how many of each resource each of the different buildings cost? And also i built the apartment building and it has a stair case leading up to the roof of the building so If I want to build a second story to the apartment do I just place the constructor box on the second floor and just build the same apartment again? Thanks

Glad you got it working, remember it is still beta, so things may not always work first time :-)

No, currently it doesn't tell you how many of each block you need, but I think it's something that would be helpful, so may add that.

Yes, it's a bit tricky doing apartment blocks, it helps to put some dirt blocks to help placing the constructor box and chest (like scaffolding), the constructor box just needs to be directly above where you had the first one and everything should line up fine. Got a couple of 10 story towers in the tutorial videos.

View PostRahting, on 02 January 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

Man i love this mod but sometimes building is a little bugged. like i tell my worker to build a lumber mill and the guy builds over the chest...so ya

If you put the chest to the left or right of the constructor box, you should be fine. Also, check of the video tutorial on Building/builders, its all down to where you stand when you select a building to build.
Creator of 'Sim-U-Kraft' - available at My website -  Watch my youTube Videos too, youTube username: SatscapeMinecraft

Hikachan
    Hikachan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1194 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostSatscape, on 03 January 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Glad you got it working, remember it is still beta, so things may not always work first time :-)

No, currently it doesn't tell you how many of each block you need, but I think it's something that would be helpful, so may add that.

Yes, it's a bit tricky doing apartment blocks, it helps to put some dirt blocks to help placing the constructor box and chest (like scaffolding), the constructor box just needs to be directly above where you had the first one and everything should line up fine. Got a couple of 10 story towers in the tutorial videos.

If you put the chest to the left or right of the constructor box, you should be fine. Also, check of the video tutorial on Building/builders, its all down to where you stand when you select a building to build.

Posted Image

LockedBirdcage
  • Minecraft: HellUnicorn

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

I do have one problem tough, when they are building and I quit the game to play another map. They don't spawn where they where building and just wandering around.

Hikachan
    Hikachan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1194 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

I would like to make a suggestion if it's ok. It seems that you don't generate enough income as you have money going out in payroll. So to supplement your income how about you get money from killing mobs? Just say for instance 1 credit or maybe half a credit for every mob killed? That way you can keep all your people employed. And also maybe add different kinds of farms. Like say for instance a melon and pumpkin farm so then you could have a grocery shop. Or and animal farmer then you could have a butcher shop.Then you could have a reed farmer and then you could have a library where your people could go in and read to gain exp. And lastly someone to collect sand and then you would have a glass shop to supply your builders.Just some ideas to give the game more depth.I love the game though great job.

Posted Image

Audioworm
  • Minecraft: audioworm333

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hmm. The comments look real, so I might download this, but could you please add pictures or a video?
Why are you looking here? The post is up there!

Posted Image
Indeed, I do!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Dirk_Jimbrose

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

You should tweak the small house cost down a little to help starting out.

This is really well done. I can see this becoming something really liked by many people.

Posted Image

Satscape
    Satscape

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

View PostAudioworm, on 04 January 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Hmm. The comments look real, so I might download this, but could you please add pictures or a video?

There's 5 video tutorials showing it off and how it all works, also a 9 page manual on my web site

Satscape
    Satscape

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Hikachan, I had 'butcher' in my things to add list, always had a problem keeping animals fenced in, they tend to de-spawn if you wander off, so I was thinking of having the butcher go out and kill cows and pigs, then have a fast food shop to sell cooked pork and beef?

Dirk_Jimbrose: I've found getting the economy stuff quite difficult to get the balance just right, to me it seems quite hard at first, but really easy once you get 15+ folks.
The builders are paid per block they lay, so may have to look at having prices for each building instead.

LockedBirdcage: the way it currently works is they spawn at their houses if they have one, or randomly around the player if not. I did originally have them re-spawn where they last were, so may change it back to that. It didn't work very well when I tried it, can't remember why. One thing I should note here, is when you re-start a game,it takes about a minute before they go back to what they were doing (if it's daytime).

Thanks for your  comments and suggestions everyone, I'm noting the suggestions down, if it's do-able and fits in with how it all works, I'll add it!

Cheers,
Scott / Satscape

ExquisiteCupcakeLord

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

this mod make me remember Minecolony mod and Miceminer mod (for really)

Jaicin
    Jaicin

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Minecraft: It's a seeeecret.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

I don't believe it registers that the sims have been killed. I "thought" (I'm not positive so don't sue me) I saw one of my sims get killed and then when I set her to a job (mining in this case) I waited a while for her to show up, went back and checked the miner box and it said her distance was 1 meter away but she was nowhere nearby.

Other than that, amazing mod!

Minecrafter_jack
  • Minecraft: lorien4

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Could you make this SMP compatible?
Posted Image

Hikachan
    Hikachan

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1194 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ok so the game is crashing on me all of a sudden. Here is my info.
windows vista home premium 64bit sp2
amd phenom 9150e quad-core processor 8gb ram/7 gb dedicated to minecraft
ati radeon hd 4350/4500 series with 1gb dedicated ram
I don't know if it has anything to do with the amount of residents I have.It didn't start to crash until I started to get alot of people.I have currently 28 people wandering about town.

and here is the error report

Mods loaded: 5
ModLoader 1.0.0
mod_ModLoaderMp 1.0.0
mod_treecapitator 1.0.0 - v3 - DaftPVF
mod_TooManyItems 1.0.0 2011-11-29
mod_Simukraft v0.1.0 by Scott 'Satscape' Hather for Minecraft 1.0.0

Minecraft has crashed!      
      ----------------------      

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to [email protected]
Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 5d78879f --------
Generated 1/5/12 2:15 AM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.0.0
Java: 1.6.0_30, Sun Microsystems Inc.
VM: Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series version 3.3.11318 Compatibility Profile Context, ATI Technologies Inc.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at nq.c(EntityLiving.java:944)
at fx.c(SourceFile:43)
at nq.a(EntityLiving.java:338)
at ry.a(World.java:1668)
at ry.f(World.java:1644)
at ry.m(World.java:1543)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.k(SourceFile:1589)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.x(SourceFile:705)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:658)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT f161c960 ----------

Not sure what it means thanks for any help

Posted Image

Satscape
    Satscape

Iron Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostHikachan, on 05 January 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at nq.c(EntityLiving.java:944)
at fx.c(SourceFile:43)
at nq.a(EntityLiving.java:338)
at ry.a(World.java:1668)
at ry.f(World.java:1644)
at ry.m(World.java:1543)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.k(SourceFile:1589)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.x(SourceFile:705)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:658)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks for the report Hikachan, I've had a couple of crashes like this myself when there's lots of folks.
I may have to seriously change how they spawn/de-spawn as it seems to be conflicting with the main minecraft code.

I've seen a few requests for multiplayer compatibility, I don't think that's an option just yet, spawning 30+ "Folks" and multiple players too may just kill minecraft with crashes like the one above. So, gotta get the single player game stable first.