• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Why its our fault for what has happened to minecraft

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: Why its our fault for what has happened to minecraft (275 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree that we should stop demanding so much from mojang?

1. Yes (153 votes [55.64%])

Percentage of vote: 55.64%

2. No (68 votes [24.73%])

Percentage of vote: 24.73%

3. I just play the game and avoid debates. (52 votes [18.91%])

Percentage of vote: 18.91%

4. I dont even PLAY minecraft! (2 votes [0.73%])

Percentage of vote: 0.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

PleXCore
    PleXCore

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

View Postivyn, on 05 January 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

So the work that Jens and Jon are doing for the haters is equal to running backyard drug labs? Are you really THAT greedy for updates?

No it is called an Analogy. Trying to make things simple yet it seems it is still to hard for some people to comprehend.

View Postivyn, on 05 January 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Also you are saying that they SHOULD change the initial design from building?

Wow I can just feel my IQ just draining away. (Warning Another Analogy!) Imagine Mojang have been building a house. At release the house is no where near done. they have the frame up maybe 20% roof tiles in, 1 of the side walls in place and maybe a scattering of internal walls, it has a toliet but does not flush, has a couple windows in place and 2 of the rooms has carpet. Yet they painted the front put a bow tie on it had a party and have declared it a house.

Not to mention 2-3 months before this party Notch decides he will build an extra room on the back of the house that was never finished and really serves no purpose.

Just to be clear I do not hate minecraft. I am disappointed that a huge oppotunity is being squandered.
Maybe now that Jens is in charge he may be able to turn things around but I am not going to hold my breath.

Register or log in to remove.

Leonorai

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Now hopefully once the API is released the almighty anonymous coders and modders will fulfill Minecraft's "full potential" - whatever that is.

People only know how to look at something and claim it can be done better, not HOW.
It's an even 50/50 split in terms of who's guilty, but honestly and personally i side with the devs.

This community is amazingly immature and i would dare say less than a tenth of these people even deserve to own the game.
If you can't have the basic willpower needed to restrain yourself from calling programming work "shit" then obviously your opinion weighs less than zero.
Below is a description of everything wrong with this forum.
Spoiler:

Adslegend
  • Minecraft: ADS_LEGEND

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostSlagar10, on 30 December 2011 - 01:12 AM, said:

Aye, Notch and his friends (not even calling them employees because they're not treated like they are) are a bunch of children.  For Christ's sake, they don't even work on Fridays and they can't fix even the smallest of bugs before adding even more bugs.  I agree the community hasn't helped, but the developers are definitely to blame.

Oh no they don't work on Fridays! So what? It's their company. Let them run it how they want. And the game has only just come out of Beta. Of course there's going to be bugs.

PapaSmurf
  • Minecraft: TheRickMurphy

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostNienteFantasia, on 30 December 2011 - 09:35 PM, said:

It was Mojang decision to release the game when they did.

It was Mojang's decision to move from Beta Version to Release Version.

Has nothing to do with people clamoring for updates.

I don't remember any complaints until about a week after release. Up until the release people were still posting threads like "Well it's Minecon, so when exactly does the game get release!?" and even now they continue with the "When is the next snapshot?" "When is 1.1.0?"

The best hope for stable, bug-free updates is that Jens cares more about how the game turns out than the community expectations of constant updates.

VileAssassin

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostPapaSmurf, on 05 January 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

I don't remember any complaints until about a week after release. Up until the release people were still posting threads like "Well it's Minecon, so when exactly does the game get release!?" and even now they continue with the "When is the next snapshot?" "When is 1.1.0?"

The best hope for stable, bug-free updates is that Jens cares more about how the game turns out than the community expectations of constant updates.

The reason was that Notch didn't want to work on the game anymore. That's why they fully released the game. I think the true statement is Jens cares more about how the game turns out than Notch. I think that's a true statement, because Notch just haphazardly added things that he felt would make Minecraft a full game. But he didn't spend the time thinking what would be best for the community or Minecraft as a whole, just what he would be able to do in the time before he wanted to fully release the game. It was senseless rushing, and that's all it was. He wasn't doing it for the community, Notch was doing it for himself, and himself only.

xxmorgroth0535xx

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

c'mon people the simple fact is that mojang and the other minds behind minecraft should be left to do their thing. We SHOULD give them idea's but we shouldnt rage if they are not chosen, we also shouldnt rage because its taking them too long. I mean do you want a good game or a rushed game. What Im saying is we should HELP them, not hate them.  B)

Tdog323
    Tdog323

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Minecraft: Tdog323

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

What has happened to minecraft? What is so bad about the adventure update or even the new updates and changes? I have always been respectful of the path Mojang has taken and all of the changes and content of the updates. I've always been satisfied. It depends on how you play the game I guess and I still play virtually the same way I did back in Alpha.
Posted Image

xxmorgroth0535xx

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostTdog323, on 05 January 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

What has happened to minecraft? What is so bad about the adventure update or even the new updates and changes? I have always been respectful of the path Mojang has taken and all of the changes and content of the updates. I've always been satisfied. It depends on how you play the game I guess and I still play virtually the same way I did back in Alpha.

Exactly

ivyn
    ivyn

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 623 posts
  • Minecraft: ivyn

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

Updating with this bit of info: The game is improving even more, so maybe people will shut the fuck up about stupid hating on great features.
Posted Image

Vlandow
    Vlandow

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Minecraft: Vance_Landow

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:24 AM

I don't understand the big fucking deal about voicing your opinion. We are the consumers, it's our job to buy the product and form an opinion on it. If we don't like it, should we just smile nervously and nod our heads? No. That won't help Mojang. It will hurt them. I like to think people are only hard on Minecraft because they love it and want to actually see it improve. And if Notch felt he needed to rush the update just because some 12 year olds told him too, then that's his damn fault.

Conversely, if we really love something about Minecraft, we need to make sure we make that known, rather than expect those things.

Also, to the people saying that "Minecraft is Mojang's game and they should do whatever they want with it", sure, that's all well and good. They make a game, they love it, happy-happy-joy-joy for them. But if you structure your entire company on that philosophy, you will not get very far in business. It misses the point. The point of making a game is for people to buy it. If you design it for yourself as opposed to the masses, no one will care.
Posted Image

InfiniteBandwidthSignal

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostVlandow, on 12 January 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

Also, to the people saying that "Minecraft is Mojang's game and they should do whatever they want with it", sure, that's all well and good. They make a game, they love it, happy-happy-joy-joy for them. But if you structure your entire company on that philosophy, you will not get very far in business. It misses the point. The point of making a game is for people to buy it. If you design it for yourself as opposed to the masses, no one will care.

Notch made Minecraft for himself and it seems to be doing alright, I don't think it was ever his goal to "get very far in business." That's why he's keeping his operation small. His whole philosophy seems to be that he and his company will make the games they want to play and if they're wildly popular that's fine and if not that's also fine.

ivyn
    ivyn

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 623 posts
  • Minecraft: ivyn

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

Remember, minecraft was originally going to be a six month project for notch. He never meant for it to be the greatest game of the millennium, just a clone for him to play around with. It still is that same clone for him to play with, it just has more people who play it. I have things that I wish were in minecraft, but I don't go bitching to Markus about adding them or removing/nerfing an aspect of the game.

You payed for minecraft because you loved what it had, not what it should have.
Posted Image

NienteFantasia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:17 AM

View PostPapaSmurf, on 05 January 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

I'll clarify my point : the fact that people crave for updates is probably the biggest reason why updates weren't  complete when released, and there are many examples supporting this argument, starting with pistons till 1.9.
Still, since the thread is called "Why its our fault for what has happened to minecraft" I'm assuming that the OP actually believes that this particular community behaviour is the reason why the game still misses features which were promised ages ago by the devs, from quests to modapi to w/e.

But it's not like that pushing the devs to release an unfinished patch will prevent Mojand to develop those features later on. Which by the way was exactly what they did with wolves, villagers, enchanting etcetera. I don't understand how this can be seen as the community's fault.

Let's talk about the state of the game at release.
There were shittons of things missing, badly implemented or rushed features, forgotten/removed stuff which got never re-implemented again. As it is now they are slowly trying to finish the game, even thou it's officially released and out for 20E.

The time they got in their hands from alpha to 1.0 did not get shorter due to people demands (or it did in a really small proportion). So, as it is now, the game is incomplete and lacking because of the lack of a schedule, bad timing on the release, lazyness, or whatever you want to fantasize about; basically, Mojang's fault.

If you are worried about a quality loss of updates they kept releasing snapshots since 1.8, to satisfy cravers.
You can't really complain about them since they are unofficial in the first place. They got their backs covered.
Pretty confident they'll update the game officially when they're ready, especially considering that there's an Xbox version too now.

Ryuu64
    Ryuu64

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yeah.. I kinda think we are a bit pushing Minecraft's simple essence. I got this game very early and enjoyed it for the no limits and free roaming adventures. Now its very complicated with all these updates and stuff. But thats just me.