Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How do i make a modded minecraft Server?


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1

Scream_AimxFire

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot but i wasn't sure where to put it sorry i'm a noob but anyways i downloaded bukkit and its cool but i want some actual game changing minecraft mods not just plugins, so my question can i still use bukkit for that or do i need another modded server thing or can i some how use both. if someone can try to explain this to me it would be appreciated or if you know of a video that might help please post a link to it or something Thank You.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

alphagalaxy

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

You will need to get your players to get the cleint side mods if you want modifications, but the mods have to have MP support, you could check out Minecraft Wiki or the mods section in Minecraft Wiki Mods section.
Hope that gives you some guidance

#3

Scream_AimxFire

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

Can i still use bukkit or do i need to use the default minecraft server and if so how do i configure that for mods and is there a downside to not using bukkit (bukkit seems really popular), i mean bukkit is great but mostly from what i have seen mostly has mods for like admin stuff and all that, i want mods like CCTV, turrent mods and mods that really make minecraft more full, are there mods like that on bukkit and what are they called cause i have not seen any besides a couple stupid ones, like make boats go underwater and there's alot of less lag plugins which i don't need. I want mods that add something new and don't just use what is already there.

If someone can just be patient with me then i would appreciate it.

#4

baggerboot
    baggerboot

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 4872 posts
  • Minecraft: baggerboot

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

Bukkit changes the way a Minecraft Server works completely. You may not see it, but it does.
Because of this, it is impossible for a normal server mod to work with Bukkit. You could either request the mod maker to turn the server-side part into a plugin (remember, it's his project, do not force him) or you could decide not to use Bukkit.

Just keep in mind that Bukkit is absolutely necessary if you want to protect your server from griefers.
~$

#5

cjgher
    cjgher

    Iron Miner

  • Members
  • 304 posts
  • Location: Canada
  • Minecraft: cjgher

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

I installed WW2 guns mod, but players cannot connect? They have the client side mod.
Posted Image
Click Here to play Connors Zombies!

#6

svalli
    svalli

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

I believe I have similar problems. I am a total noob for the whole thing, since I do not play Minecraft, but I have to do the IT stuff home for my son. I have background in embedded software development, so coding and computers are not totally new to me.

I have now set up a local server on an old computer, so that my son and his friend can play in multiplayer mode in their private world. I got the standard server working fine, but now they want the mods in there. Last night I downloaded the CraftBukkit server and it works fine as it is without any mods or plugins added. My son wants the paintball mod, so I followed instructions posted on the forum and as a lazy person I did not download just the ModloaderMP and put it in the .jar  but I downloaded the ready craftbukkit-1.0.1-R1_r4.jar from http://www.mcportcen...php?topic=393.0 . I added the paintball server mod to that .jar. When I have the server running and my son logs on, he is disconnected  as soon as he is logged. On the server I can see that he is logging on with the paintball mod, a helicopter mod and some other mod.

How do these modded servers work? Does the player and server have to have exactly same mods installed with these Modloader things? I may ask stupid questions, so please be a patient with me. I’m just a mom, who is trying to help the kids play.

#7

raec86
    raec86

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Postsvalli, on 04 January 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

I believe I have similar problems. I am a total noob for the whole thing, since I do not play Minecraft, but I have to do the IT stuff home for my son. I have background in embedded software development, so coding and computers are not totally new to me.

I have now set up a local server on an old computer, so that my son and his friend can play in multiplayer mode in their private world. I got the standard server working fine, but now they want the mods in there. Last night I downloaded the CraftBukkit server and it works fine as it is without any mods or plugins added. My son wants the paintball mod, so I followed instructions posted on the forum and as a lazy person I did not download just the ModloaderMP and put it in the .jar  but I downloaded the ready craftbukkit-1.0.1-R1_r4.jar from http://www.mcportcen...php?topic=393.0 . I added the paintball server mod to that .jar. When I have the server running and my son logs on, he is disconnected  as soon as he is logged. On the server I can see that he is logging on with the paintball mod, a helicopter mod and some other mod.

How do these modded servers work? Does the player and server have to have exactly same mods installed with these Modloader things? I may ask stupid questions, so please be a patient with me. I’m just a mom, who is trying to help the kids play.


I might not be much help but here I go.

When you use the bukkit server you actually do not have to install the mods onto the .jar file.  You just drag the specialty made "plugin" to the plugin folder.  

If you are trying to install the mods yourself, depending on the mod, you just have to install "modloader" then you drop the zipped mod to the new mod folder that is created by modloader after running the server once.

As to the clients some mods require the client to have that version install as well.

If you just let me know what mods you are trying to use I will be more than happy to walk you through what needs to be done.

View Postcjgher, on 04 January 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

I installed WW2 guns mod, but players cannot connect? They have the client side mod.


What is the error message?

View PostScream_AimxFire, on 29 December 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Can i still use bukkit or do i need to use the default minecraft server and if so how do i configure that for mods and is there a downside to not using bukkit (bukkit seems really popular), i mean bukkit is great but mostly from what i have seen mostly has mods for like admin stuff and all that, i want mods like CCTV, turrent mods and mods that really make minecraft more full, are there mods like that on bukkit and what are they called cause i have not seen any besides a couple stupid ones, like make boats go underwater and there's alot of less lag plugins which i don't need. I want mods that add something new and don't just use what is already there.

If someone can just be patient with me then i would appreciate it.


If you are using mods that have directions to use modloader then as I understand it yes you will have to use the default .jar file for the server.  As I offered for someone below I am more then happy to help just let me know what you are trying to do and use.

#8

svalli
    svalli

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks raec86!

Instructions from IKinx here: http://www.minecraft...-★-smp-updated/ tell to put the files into the .jar file and not into the mods folder. After I watched his video and did like he explained, I got the server working with the paintball mod. I'm not part of the YouTube generation, so I like written instructions more, but the vid helped me. My problem must had been the ready made .jar I tried first. It may have something which does notwork with the Paintball mod.

Now I have to find more about those plugins for the bukkit.

#9

raec86
    raec86

    Out of the Water

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postsvalli, on 04 January 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

Thanks raec86!

Instructions from IKinx here: http://www.minecraft...-★-smp-updated/ tell to put the files into the .jar file and not into the mods folder. After I watched his video and did like he explained, I got the server working with the paintball mod. I'm not part of the YouTube generation, so I like written instructions more, but the vid helped me. My problem must had been the ready made .jar I tried first. It may have something which does notwork with the Paintball mod.

Now I have to find more about those plugins for the bukkit.


Not that you need it now but here is one place to look at the plugins. Pretty awesome you are putting this together.  You definitively got this. \o/

#10

Nicholasexp
  • Location: Austalia
  • Minecraft: Nicholasexp

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

GET BUKKIT! IT'S THE BEST SERVER PUGIN EVER! Click me to go to bukkit.org[/url] you won't regret it! (look up a video on how to make one on minecraft 1.1 cause setting it up isn't the same as the one on minecraft.net

Posted Image


#11

evantanski

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Single player mods are hacked versions of the original code. Multiplayer mods are different right now. They almost all use hey0's server wrapper, which links in the minecraft_server.jar but defines its own functions classes, overloads some of the core functions, and runs its own main()