Ok, so I tired of waiting, and reimplemented this great mod myself. I've started with those code snippets and old sources that Drakona published earlier in her topic, but later redid most of it anyway. Primarily because the original code made my eyes bleed (and I doubt that my own code is better, though).
Anyways. It uses Risugami's ModLoader now, so grab & install it from here if you plan to use the mod. It won't corrupt your old marble-filled worlds (though I swapped textures, so it'll look a bit different).
However, I've changed generation process completely, though the results are quite the same (as I aimed them to be the same). Marble is quite rare, sticks to stone walls and ceilings, therefore you usually can find it in jagged cliffs or caverns. Near the surface there's a "light" kind of marble and much more rare "special" one. Deep below there's mostly "dark" marble, though you can find a "special" kind there as well (and sometimes even "light" one). It can be generated in quite large amounts, though usually it doesn't happen on the surface (there're lots of restrictions). The stuff is quite resistant to blows and explosions and can be mined only with iron pickaxe or better.
You can also craft marble stairs: just use "normal" stairs recipe, but with marble.
I don't care about copyright and all those crap, so you may do whatever with this mod and its sources. Please don't bug me about compatibility problems, I have no intentions to keep developing it (though I will likely fix bugs if there would be any). And anyways, it doesn't change any "stock" Minecraft files now, so it should be compatible with things that are compatible with ModLoader, except for possible blockId collisions. Also it can possibly break mods that change staple vanilla pickaxes ("break" not in a "black screen" sense, but in "stuff doesn't work right" sense).
If you use higher resolution textures, you are on your own. Get yourself a 4x4 tiles image in your own resolution (i.e. 128x128 for x32 textures), and then cut it into separate tiles, and save them with names
1) For standard-sized textures (16x16);
2) For 64x64 textures;
3) Mod's source files;
- compatibility update.
- compatibility update.
- no changes, things are working fine.
- have to remove marble half-steps due to issues with rendering in beta :-(
- added marble stairs, blockIDs = 32,33,34 (old colored cloth belonged here, now the space is unused).
- added marble half-steps, blockIDs = 29,30,31.
- compatibility with WildGrass mod v5 (and hopefully, later versions too). New textures include all the WildGrass stuff too.
- reworked tools modification to use ToolUtils. No changes for the end user.
- rewritten the stuff to go without MCP and mmML. Now it should be compatible with BiomeTerrain mod.
- increased rarity, but also increased deposit size, now it won't generate in small amounts at all. Also, it's quite unlikely that you'll find surface deposits in gentle hills or flatlands. Go for mountains or dig down!
- fixed a bug with shadows;
- it's mined a bit more slowly now (on par with redstone ore).