Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Rune Crafting

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Illuminus

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

Rune Crafting Concept

Since the world of Minecraft is terrorized by undead minions i assume magic is a possibility. Instead of direct magic abilities, a rune system where crafting plays a big part could be an interesting approach to such a system.

Here is an example of how such a system could work.

JoeMiner finds a crystal deposit and mines a crystal out of it.

Posted Image

He uses four concrete blocks to create a blank runestone.

Posted Image

He then imbues his gemstones and a slab of gold into the runestone (maybe using a specfic rune crafting or alchemy table). The result gives him a Teleport or Freeze rune.

Posted Image

And he has a magical rune! He can now carry it around and use on activation... but JoeMiner fears the blood thirsty horde of undead outside his keep and decides to create a freeze trap! (or a teleportation pad)

Posted Image

And there you have it. Now JoeMiner can either shorten his trips from his newly found mine or freeze an unwanted visitor.

Great game by the way.. you have my $13!

Register or log in to remove.

Qwill
    Qwill

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Very well done sir. If this is how magic was implemented, I would for once agree with magic. I think no separate workbench is needed, just use the alchemy workbench. This idea actually works perfectly with LightWarrior's idea for an alchemy crafting method. Read it here: http://www.minecraft....php?f=1&t=8856
Again, very nice.
Choose your words wisely.
Defend your words flexibly.
Change your words fittingly.

Let prejudice, popular opinion, and preconception be free from your judgments.

mrwormy
    mrwormy

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6711 posts
  • Minecraft: mrwormy

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

I came here to lol at a runescape suggestion but this is nice!

Could rubies make fire pads?
"Only a few find the way, Some don't recognize it when they do. Some don't ever want to..." ~Cheshire cat.

Qwill
    Qwill

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:57 AM

I'm sad that this thread isn't getting more attention.

Swingerzetta
  • Minecraft: Swingerzetta

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:30 AM

Qwill said:

I'm sad that this thread isn't getting more attention.
These boards seem slow today, nothing to worry about.

This is indeed a clever idea! the system is simple and elegant, not too powerful, flexible, etc. I approve, and for once I have nothing to add.

Kydo
    Kydo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:11 AM

This is perfect. Well, almost. As I've said elsewhere, I'm not fond of intermediary crafting objects. Could we think of something else to call the "blank runestones" and any other potential functions a slab of stone could hold? (In crafting OR construction, really)
This may be a fad, but I love dragons, so why the heck not?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Swingerzetta
  • Minecraft: Swingerzetta

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:26 AM

Kydo said:

This is perfect. Well, almost. As I've said elsewhere, I'm not fond of intermediary crafting objects. Could we think of something else to call the "blank runestones" and any other potential functions a slab of stone could hold? (In crafting OR construction, really)

My first thought was 'slate' as in, handheld chalkboards. but slate is already a mineral, and I'm not really sure how useful a handheld chalkboard would be... Still. they could be used for signposts or something maybe. in this case they wouldn't be any different than sticks currently are. Useless on their own, but can be used for multiple, other things

Kydo
    Kydo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

Swingerzetta said:

Kydo said:

My first thought was 'slate' as in, handheld chalkboards. but slate is already a mineral, and I'm not really sure how useful a handheld chalkboard would be... Still. they could be used for signposts or something maybe. in this case they wouldn't be any different than sticks currently are. Useless on their own, but can be used for multiple, other things

And I've a problem with that.

nebb
    nebb

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1688 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

you know guys that notch is trying to make indev as magic free as possible
wooper wrote:
Mod edit: The rules specifically discourage writing stories about Pikachu defecating on other members.

Currency in Minecraft?! Hell no!
Anarcho-Communists of Minecraftia

Posted Image

Kydo
    Kydo

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

nebb said:

Flying islands, zombies, giant spiders, strange green things that explode, and diamond plate mail.

swizard
    swizard

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

I'd love to see this with teleportation pads like you suggested. Would break the use of minecarts though, they should be limited. (or the mats should be really rare to find)

Qwill
    Qwill

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

I'd say it shouldn't be a teleportation pad. I don't like the idea of teleporting in general. I'm not really sure your final step, where the step is enchanted is a good one. That seems too overtly magickey. The idea has the potential to be more subtle.

Cyrix
    Cyrix

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

Jesus Christ this is Minecraft not Runescape. Why does everyone wanna turn this game into a whole different concept. Where have you even seen the concept of magic in this game so far, zombies? Have you ever played L4D or Resident Evil, CoDwawz? Did you ever see them using magical spells?
Lets not be stupid here...

Kydo said:

nebb said:

Flying islands, zombies, giant spiders, strange green things that explode, and diamond plate mail.

I agree with Nebb, and think Kydo's reasoning is stupid. I should just assume that all these things are from magic? First id like to point out diamond plate mail isnt magic, it would be possible, just extremly expensive and nearly worthless.
I dont know what strikes people as magical about the mobs. Now if skelentons shot fireballs or zombies teleported, we could assume magic. But has anyone ever thought they could be creatures from hell? That doesnt suggest magic.
Why does everyone have to be so stupid sometimes.

Posted Image

blaster
    blaster

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 6310 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Cyrix said:

Jesus Christ this is Minecraft not Runescape. Why does everyone wanna turn this game into a whole different concept. Where have you even seen the concept of magic in this game so far, zombies? Have you ever played L4D or Resident Evil, CoDwawz? Did you ever see them using magical spells?

Kydo said:

nebb said:

I agree with Nebb, and think Kydo's reasoning is stupid. I should just assume that all these things are from magic? First id like to point out diamond plate mail isnt magic, it would be possible, just extremly expensive and nearly worthless.
I dont know what strikes people as magical about the mobs. Now if skelentons shot fireballs or zombies teleported, we could assume magic. But has anyone ever thought they could be creatures from hell? That doesnt suggest magic.

Why do people think they are taking ideas from runescape as soon as someone suggests anything
Runes
Mithril
Admintine
ect... Ya know things other than runescape have used them
The rebellion has already begun. Otter Forums

nebb
    nebb

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1688 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

good point kydo
wooper wrote:
Mod edit: The rules specifically discourage writing stories about Pikachu defecating on other members.

Currency in Minecraft?! Hell no!
Anarcho-Communists of Minecraftia

Posted Image

Taz
    Taz

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

Cyrix said:

Jesus Christ this is Minecraft not Runescape.

. . . This line makes me so angry inside.

\ \

Anyyway, I like this suggestion a lot. Seems very fitting, not stupidly complicated and your pictures look perfect.

That's a pretty cool first post you've got there~.

[Though I'd like to note I'm more for the freeze, and less for the teleport.]
- Smile! ◕ ◡ ◕
Give a little.   =♥=

A.I. said:

I, too, digest food with my lungs. I find Subway sandwiches to be particularly aerodylicious.

Isythos
    Isythos

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

Cyrix said:

Kydo said:

nebb said:

Why do people always assmue throwing fireballs is magic? Who said it was? All this no magic vibe that is going around the forums is silly I mean what is magic but just a word to describe something we dont understand? I see no reason not to add magic to the game as no one on the forums can give a solid reason not to other than 'I dont like it.'. Who says skeletons zombies or creatures from hell isn't magic. Hell the games you mention dont even feature zombies they feture 'Infected' Ive always seen zombies as either something like a magic to animate the dead or the apocalypse which is a pretty 'magical' concept.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; Just because we understand it doesn't change what it really is.

I think this is a great and simple way to add interesting elements to the game hopefully if this kind of thing is to be added it would be much harder to create than a whole castle so that you have to have friends to help you construct this to get the resources or you spent alot of time working on it or just happened to get lucky.

Teleporting should be okay as long as it was only a two way portal rather than many differen't choices. People will still need to travel around and explore to find the resources they want.

Industrial Strength

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

this isn't a bad idea at all, its brilliant
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Don't let them dies, please D'=
They wouldn't let you die if you were in need of hatching!

mikael134

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

hm simple, yet somewhat hard to get. i give this a 1+ for a good idea

Seiseki
    Seiseki

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Minecraft: Seiseki

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

Why magic?
Well considering this game has a fantasy setting, magic is the best way to explain things that are super-natural..

Want to spawn lava or water, well let's make it a magic spell.
Want to instantly travel to another location on a map, let's make a magic device.
Want to introduce something into the game that has no logical explanation but would enhance the game, well let's make it magic somehow.

You see all this isn't just about turning the game into Harry Potter, it's a way of introducing new gameplay mechanics that defy logic but can be explained by a single word, magic.
Since technology doesn't fit in with the fantasy setting, magic is the obvious choice.

Now I may agree that it shouldn't be overdone, I'd like this game to be a low-fantasy setting and not having magic everywhere because it's convienient.

Cyrix said:

Oh, so now you're just against the word magic?
Can't runes be from hell too?
Let's call them runes from hell instead since you don't like the M-word..
Or they can even be holy, sacred runes..

Cyrix said:

Your reply is the only narrow-minded one in this thread..
You call people here stupid because you dislike the idea of magic and for some reason relate it to Runescape, if that's the only game with magic that you've played then I'd understand, I don't like Runescape either..

Posted Image

Brilliant way to add various effects to blocks, I think you should be able to put any block in the middle, because that would be awesome.

Also the amount of materials needed seems balanced, if these gems are almost as rare as diamond.
I think the amount of runes should be double for a teleport, requiring perhaps 4 different kinds of runes because it shouldn't be something you can easily make.
Posted Image