• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

T33J
    T33J

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

I think this would be a great addition to make underground bio dome things a lot easier to make.
This has probably already been suggested, so sorry if it has.
You know you want to click this :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

MacGruber

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:57 PM

T33J said:

I think this would be a great addition to make underground bio dome things a lot easier to make.
This has probably already been suggested, so sorry if it has.

It's already in the game, unless you mean seeds that spread grass rather than grow wheat.

http://diamond-rangers.webs.com/

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

T33J
    T33J

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

Yeah actual grass, not wheat. So you put it on a dirt block and then it turns into a grassy dirt block like on the surface.
Posted Image
Posted Image

um3k
    um3k

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

The existing seeds could simply be modified to grow grass when planted in untilled soil, but still grow wheat in tilled soil.
Manyaglyph Mod for Minecraft 1.3_01

Four new anaglyph modes, plus cross-eyed 3D!

Manyaglyph Forum Thread

duartel said:

I was tryyng to get sig'd  [Skeleton]

weq150
    weq150

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

um3k said:

The existing seeds could simply be modified to grow grass when planted in untilled soil, but still grow wheat in tilled soil.
this

T33J
    T33J

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

It would be so good if they did it like that, it saves having another item and we cant plant grass underground.
Posted Image
Posted Image

MacGruber

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

weq150 said:

um3k said:

this

Clever and intuitive, I applaud you good sir.

http://diamond-rangers.webs.com/

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Minecraft: GreyAcumen

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

I agree. I definitely like the idea of grass seeds just growing regular grass on regular blocks.

DarkDX
    DarkDX

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Minecraft: DarkDX

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

This idea...Will allow us...To farm a trees in the Nether! And create Oases at the Desert Biome! Hurrray!

You obtained 100 points to your Support Count.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
[WIP] My Suggestions List
Reason: Search disabled

It's worthwhile of thinking about the future - you'll spend rest of your life in it.

Jacos
    Jacos

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Location: Bexhill, England, Europe, Earth, SPECIES 1079 INHABITED SYSTEM - ALL HAIL THE BORG!
  • Minecraft: Jacos

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

DarkDX said:

This idea...Will allow us...To farm a trees in the Nether! And create Oases at the Desert Biome! Hurrray!

Maybe Notch will add Oasis' to desert biomes anyway, with "desert grass" or something.

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

DarkDX said:

what are you talking about? Wheat doesn't grow in the nether, so there's no guarantee that grass would even if you could plant it, and you'd still need to bring the dirt in yourself, and even if it did grow, it would still be brown, just like the trees that ALREADY CAN be grown in the nether. As for the desert oasis, all you need to do is create a dirt path that leads from a block that has grass into the desert and the grass will eventually spread onto the dirt path you placed.

It's highly unlikely that grass seeds growing grass will actually change much of anything, but it will make things more convenient.

MarcusSpinner

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

By giving us grass seeds we get more use out of dirt.

By tilting the grass you get weeds or grass seeds. By giving this we now can create our own biodomes and it would be easier when you try to build in the sky.

Greetings Spinner

CaptainN64

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

While this would definitely make things more convenient, you can still "import" grass all the way to bedrock - just make your stairs out of dirt (assuming the top of your stairs is in grass).  The grass will spread... eventually... then you rebuild your stairs out of whatever you originally wanted them to be made out of.

Yes, that process is annoying.  Hence the statement: "make things more convenient".  Having grass grow from seeds planted on untilled dirt sounds like a really good alternative - no new items need to be made (and, subsequently, fill up my boxes) and I'd imagine the code change would be fairly minor.  There's already code that detects if the soil is tilled or not (just try to place a seed in untilled soil) so a branch off of that logic would be all that's required.  I could be over-simplifying, but if so, not by much. :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MarcusSpinner

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

I agree on that because growing grass up in the air 30 steps up TAKES AGESSSSSS!!  :cobblestone:

*It been nog 1 hour and it has only went up 5 blocks, so still 25 blocks to go and even when it is at the top it still needs to cover all the flat surface...

Seeds just make grass more mobile for people who love to use it for floating islands like me!

mrwormy
    mrwormy

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6711 posts
  • Minecraft: mrwormy

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

um3k said:

Referring to somethin like this?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178826&p=2586267&hilit=+untilled#p2586267
"Only a few find the way, Some don't recognize it when they do. Some don't ever want to..." ~Cheshire cat.

GreyAcumen
    GreyAcumen

Blaze Extinguisher

• Members
  • 4570 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

Yes, exactly like that, except suggested back in November instead of February.

UberFubarius

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

mrwormy said:

um3k said:

Referring to somethin like this?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=178826&p=2586267&hilit=+untilled#p2586267

This post started earlier then your post.

ratelslangen
  • Location: if you read this and i just posted it. im probebly on the interwebz.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

doesnt matter dude
Posted Image