• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

NightmareLuffy
  • Minecraft: Nightmare_Luffy

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:54 AM

Router: Netgear WNDR3400
External IP Address: Your external IP address is: xxxxxxxxx
Ping Result: We were not able to ping your router
Port Check Result: Your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable.

I have spent a good 2-3 hours on this and I just about give up. So far I have already set up a static IP and have my server set up although when my friends attempt to join it's unreachable (easy enough to understand). All I need to do i open the port but when I use portforward.com's PFPortChecker it gives me the same results even though I have turned off the firewall and tinkered with the router port forwarding/triggering settings (which resulted in the temporary loss of internet connection for my computer). If anyone can help and/or needs any additional information regarding specifications/info, it would be mighty appreciated.

Register or log in to remove.

PeaceDealer
  • Minecraft: PeaceDealer

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

Have you checked that your local IP and the IP thats allowed for the port to be open is the same?

NightmareLuffy

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

View PostPeaceDealer, on 24 December 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

Have you checked that your local IP and the IP thats allowed for the port to be open is the same?

If you mean where it says my external ip then I have done that but still no results.

NightmareLuffy

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

Update: My port is now open but the ping result remains the same. Still unsure of what I have to do now.

Defakto227

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:43 AM

Ping doesn't goto port 25565.

Most NAT routers drop ping packets by default.  This is a good thing as it makes "finding" you on the net harder for some automated exploit tools.

Can they connect now that the port is open?

You can test this as well by attempting to connect to your minecraft server through the external IP.  If you can use external IP to connect, and your friends cannot, the issue is their client end.

NightmareLuffy

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

View PostDefakto227, on 27 December 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

Ping doesn't goto port 25565.

Most NAT routers drop ping packets by default.  This is a good thing as it makes "finding" you on the net harder for some automated exploit tools.

Can they connect now that the port is open?

You can test this as well by attempting to connect to your minecraft server through the external IP.  If you can use external IP to connect, and your friends cannot, the issue is their client end.

Well then I'm pretty sure they would be able to connect....but now I can't open the server. I try to open it up but I get this:

[INFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.0.0
[INFO] Loading properties
[INFO] Starting Minecraft server on xxxxxx
[WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
[WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

I don't know if I have to reconfigure the ip of the server. I tried deleting server and direct connecting/adding new server (not sure if that was a good idea in retrospect) and when I to connect it obviously says cannot connect to server. If I have to start from scratch with another server Ip then I'd need someone to hold my hand through the process, unfortunately.

Lord_Ralex
    Lord_Ralex

Typoing Absolmin

• Forum Admin
  • Curse Premium
  • 5807 posts
  • Minecraft: Lord_Ralex

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

View PostNightmareLuffy, on 27 December 2011 - 01:34 AM, said:

Well then I'm pretty sure they would be able to connect....but now I can't open the server. I try to open it up but I get this:

[WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind

I don't know if I have to reconfigure the ip of the server. I tried deleting server and direct connecting/adding new server (not sure if that was a good idea in retrospect) and when I to connect it obviously says cannot connect to server. If I have to start from scratch with another server Ip then I'd need someone to hold my hand through the process, unfortunately.

Are you putting your IP in the server.properties's server-ip field?

If so, leave that field blank.

MCF Admin for Servers and Mapping and Modding

Posted Image

Defakto227

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:17 AM

View PostLord_Ralex, on 27 December 2011 - 01:47 AM, said:

Are you putting your IP in the server.properties's server-ip field?

If so, leave that field blank.

This.  You only really need to set this IP under specific circumstances.  Delete the IP address on that line and make sure there is no space there as well.

NightmareLuffy

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostDefakto227, on 27 December 2011 - 03:17 AM, said:

This.  You only really need to set this IP under specific circumstances.  Delete the IP address on that line and make sure there is no space there as well.

I had a feeling it would be such a trivial answer. -_- I just gotta wait for my friend to come online so I can play. If I have any other problems I'll come back here. Otherwise, thanks for the assistance guys.  :iapprove:

wacossusca34
  • Minecraft: Jarcode

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostNightmareLuffy, on 27 December 2011 - 01:34 AM, said:

You already have a process using port 25565 (Your ports do not need to be forwarded to initialize ports locally on your network). Go to task manager and end all java processes before restarting the server when you get this error.

You're only giving bits of the process that you went through to try to open your port. What process EXACTLY did you go through?

I have some time today if you want to screenshare over skype or teamviewer so I can help you set up your ports.
You are one person in a planet of seven billion people, on one of eight planets in a solar system, in one of millions of solar systems, in one of millions of galaxies. You're pretty insignificant.

NightmareLuffy

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

View Postwacossusca34, on 27 December 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

You already have a process using port 25565 (Your ports do not need to be forwarded to initialize ports locally on your network). Go to task manager and end all java processes before restarting the server when you get this error.

You're only giving bits of the process that you went through to try to open your port. What process EXACTLY did you go through?

I have some time today if you want to screenshare over skype or teamviewer so I can help you set up your ports.

I might need to take you up on your offer because my friends still cannot connect to server (failed to connect to server connection timed out:connect). My skype username is nightmareiuffy and I'm ready when you are.

Defakto227

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:01 AM

Can you connect via your external IP? If not, port forwarding is setup wrong.

NightmareLuffy

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

View PostDefakto227, on 28 December 2011 - 02:01 AM, said:

Can you connect via your external IP? If not, port forwarding is setup wrong.

I am able to connect with external IP.

Defakto227

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

Wait, if you can connect using your external IP everything is working as it should.  You would not be able to connect otherwise.

NightmareLuffy

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

View PostDefakto227, on 28 December 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

Wait, if you can connect using your external IP everything is working as it should.  You would not be able to connect otherwise.
But outside sources don't connect using that IP but the server's set ip. Only I can do that, correct?

NightmareLuffy

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

Okay the problem is solved thanks for all your help guys. :D

ineedhelp12345

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

I am having the same problem how exactly do i port forward? do i go to port forward.com or is it something else?my router is a linksys and its an E3000 i followed the steps at portforward.com i can connect through local host but it still says failed to bind to port. i even ended all java processes restarted my router and just about punched my computer in its face. Thanks for the help so much guys. Oh, i am using minecraft_server.exe from the downloads page.

webrosc
    webrosc

Kitty Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 8072 posts
  • Minecraft: webrosc

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

following portforward.com should open the port, http://canyouseeme.org will tell you if the port is open, but you nedd the server running to test.
cannot bind to port can be fixed by leaving the server-ip= line blank (the server will just know what ip its working on).

ineedhelp12345

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

View Postwebrosc, on 10 January 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

following portforward.com should open the port, http://canyouseeme.org will tell you if the port is open, but you nedd the server running to test.
cannot bind to port can be fixed by leaving the server-ip= line blank (the server will just know what ip its working on).
OMG do you think deleting the ip adress and port in the server properties?

webrosc
    webrosc

Kitty Moderator

• Sectional Moderator
  • 8072 posts
  • Minecraft: webrosc

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

leave the port in, it needs that, but the ip is only needed in the file for LAN only/hamachi servers, and some other special reasons