• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Best Minecraft Server OS?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: best os for minecraft server (28 member(s) have cast votes)

best os for minecraft server

1. mac os (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. linux (24 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. windows (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

shovenose

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:11 AM

I have a feeling this is going to turn into another mac os vs. windows vs. linux flamewar, but I'd seriously be interested to know what's best?
I saw this quote on another thread here:

It also helps a ton if you run it on anything but Windows, preferably Linux, but if you arent comfortable with it, Macs are still better servers than Windows servers.
It made me think... what is the best?

I use Bukkit, not the normal Miencraft Server, so I'm curious to know what is the best for hosting a minecraft server?
Right now I use Windows Server 2003 and I'm happy with it, just curious what I'm missing out on on another OS.
thanks

Register or log in to remove.

Superdude44

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

I run linux, and trust me, it's hard to learn but once you know it, it's soooo much better.

Defakto227

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

Operating systems are like religion.  All good ideas.  Everyone is right.

hexparrot
    hexparrot

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1150 posts
  • Minecraft: hexparrot

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

View Postshovenose, on 23 December 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

I have a feeling this is going to turn into another mac os vs. windows vs. linux flamewar, but I'd seriously be interested to know what's best?
I saw this quote on another thread here:

It made me think... what is the best?

I use Bukkit, not the normal Miencraft Server, so I'm curious to know what is the best for hosting a minecraft server?
Right now I use Windows Server 2003 and I'm happy with it, just curious what I'm missing out on on another OS.
thanks

It's largely accepted that there is no 'best' OS.  At least, not by simply saying 'best' and not using more descriptive qualifiers, such as 'which OS requires the least amount of configuration know-how to get working?' or 'which OS has the least amount of RAM overhead?' or 'which is actually a server OS?'

That is, any novice who has used Windows desktop his or her entire life will have no problem setting up a windows server running the minecraft server executable. Is it ideal? maybe not. But for somebody with no other knowledge in hosting and administration, running that .exe off their windows server's desktop succeeds at their needs.

When you consider RAM overheads that a GUI adds, many would point toward Linux, touting Ubuntu, CentOS, or Debian as 'the OS'--of course, when one lacks the patience and aptitude to handle command-line, the 'best OS' might instead become 'the worst OS'.  Just like if somebody uses a particular distro, fails at one thing, then asserts 'WORST OS EVER'.

MacOSX, in the form that probably everybody has (which is it is their main computer), isn't a server platform.  Not to say it can't host, like a windows desktop could, but it certainly couldn't be the best OS on account of it simply just not being tailored for server duties. Performance per megabyte, or by pretty much any other metric, OSX probably isn't going to be the best...unless one has no idea how to use windows or linux, and it is the most simple.

These threads (or more specifically, the voting part of this thread) is unlikely to be representative of the real 'best' OS just for these biases mentioned above, but all that aside, most people will answer 'what is the best OS' with 'what OS did I have just the right amount of patience to stick with?'

View PostDefakto227, on 23 December 2011 - 05:02 AM, said:

Operating systems are like religion.  All good ideas.  Everyone is right.

Seconded only if you include Scientology.
Posted Image

PeaceDealer
  • Minecraft: PeaceDealer

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

Hes Right. There is no Best OS in itself. Linux will have its advantages and disadvantages, same with Windows and Mac.

WhiteKnitez28

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

Does anyone know of some minecraft specific os other than MineOS?  MineOS is out of date and as of yet I have not figured out where to change the bukkit update target.

bbqroast
    bbqroast

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Running on a Mac is pretty silly, it's a desktop UI. Not to mention terribly over priced. Windows Server is bogged down by its GUI so I prefer Linux, which is also a hell of a lot cheaper (or free, if you use a distro like Ubuntu).
Windows is easier to use, however from my standpoint the point of being a "server admin" is learning to administrate your server properly. I couldn't imagine running a server with out all the shell scripts I use to automate various tasks. The command line for Ubuntu at least is very easy to learn.
"Terminator like robots may one day rule the world, as long as they don't run Windows Vista"

SimpleNode

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Just install CentOS, Install Sun Java (Minecraft hates OpenJDK) and your done.

No need for a Minecraft specific OS.
Posted Image

VietNg
    VietNg

Ghast Hunter

• Members
  • 2831 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Personal favorite is CentOS
Posted Image

Herogx
    Herogx

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1839 posts
  • Minecraft: Herogx

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Linux or a Linux distro are usually better, because they do have some advantages, like they use less resources and are better once you know how to use them. If I were buying a dedicated server(For minecraft), I'd buy it with centOS.

JohnTheRipper

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostSimpleNode, on 24 August 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Just install CentOS, Install Sun Java (Minecraft hates OpenJDK) and your done.

No need for a Minecraft specific OS.
OpenJDK never gave me any problems.
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image

SimpleNode

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

View Postbattlekid, on 24 August 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

OpenJDK never gave me any problems.
OpenJDK does all sorts of weird things to bukkit plugins.
Posted Image

JohnTheRipper

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

View PostSimpleNode, on 24 August 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

OpenJDK does all sorts of weird things to bukkit plugins.
Well, that's weird, I've pretty much always used CentOS and OpenJDK for Bukkit, and never had any issues with plugins...
i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, Z77X-UD5H, GTX 670 OC, 256GB 840 Pro, 2TB + 500GB HDDs, Fractal R4, HX750 (with bonus fan noise), Dell U2713HM.

Please read the rules!
Global | Discussion | MnM | Other Platforms | Servers | Support | SyC | Off Topic
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” — Albert Einstein
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." — Robert Heinlein

Posted Image

bbqroast
    bbqroast

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

View Postbattlekid, on 24 August 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

Well, that's weird, I've pretty much always used CentOS and OpenJDK for Bukkit, and never had any issues with plugins...
Yeah, but I managed to get the Sun version of Java working on Ubuntu, there is a great guide somewhere.
"Terminator like robots may one day rule the world, as long as they don't run Windows Vista"

jeff1420
    jeff1420

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Minecraft: jeff142

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:38 AM

CentOS
Best, hands down.
Posted Image
http://TowerNode.com/ Official host of LegitPlay.net Code "MCF" for 15% off