Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

quick question on farming


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:26 AM

Okay just a small question.

You see I am attempting a wheat farm in a snow boi and i got the fence set up, glowstone under water so it doesn't freeze. However I am thinking of putting glass over it to protect it form them random snow storms that have thunder for some reason ( :blink: )

Anyway My question was...


The sunlight going though glass on wheat......is that any different from having nothing over the wheat? Does it effect it in any small way. I know I can grow wheat like this im just wondering how much would it effect it like any %'s or anything.

If it doesn't effect the sunlight in anyway to have glass blocks above the wheat then im going go on with building i guess :s


Also quick question on punkins and watermelon.

Do or do they not need light to grow?

Also has anyone figured out any automatic harvesting farms for punkins and watermelons ?



ps: Thunder and lighten in a snow boi? wtf is up with that?


thanks in advance for the info guys :<
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Steve_S
    Steve_S

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 154 posts
  • Location: Houston, TX
  • Minecraft: SpankyTanky

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

glass currently blocks light.  Use fences and it will look more like a lattice roof.  Also the more torches you have around your wheat the faster it'll grow.
Posted Image  Visit http://www.youareminecraft.com/ and Build Yourself!

#3

Rich189
    Rich189

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

I have done indoor farms before, and as long as it is bright enought from any thing (torches, glowstone etc. ) wheat Will grow, but sunlight is somewhat faster
http://www.minecraft...ooftop-cityies/
If you could check out my map that be really sweet of you! Even just looking a the pic is appreciated! Thanks!

#4

crickdawg

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

View PostConker, on 22 December 2011 - 03:26 AM, said:

Okay just a small question.

You see I am attempting a wheat farm in a snow boi and i got the fence set up, glowstone under water so it doesn't freeze. However I am thinking of putting glass over it to protect it form them random snow storms that have thunder for some reason ( :blink: )

Anyway My question was...


The sunlight going though glass on wheat......is that any different from having nothing over the wheat? Does it effect it in any small way. I know I can grow wheat like this im just wondering how much would it effect it like any %'s or anything.

If it doesn't effect the sunlight in anyway to have glass blocks above the wheat then im going go on with building i guess :s


Also quick question on punkins and watermelon.

Do or do they not need light to grow?

Also has anyone figured out any automatic harvesting farms for punkins and watermelons ?



ps: Thunder and lighten in a snow boi? wtf is up with that?


thanks in advance for the info guys :<

Pumpkins and Melons do not require light to grow...i dont kno if it may enhance the process,but i have planted them in a closed room with a low light level and they took about 5 minecraft days to grow...semms right :D
Posted Image
~Crickdawg :D

#5

SeaWry
    SeaWry

    End Dweller

  • Members
  • 7091 posts
  • Location: Virginia, USA
  • Minecraft: Flutterwry

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

View PostSteve_S, on 22 December 2011 - 03:27 AM, said:

glass currently blocks light.  Use fences and it will look more like a lattice roof.  Also the more torches you have around your wheat the faster it'll grow.

Uh, no. All my greenhouses have no torches as well my underground farms, but rely on Glass roofed skylights. All crops inside grow normal and perfect. Mobs are off if you wonder.

#6

Ky10
    Ky10

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Minecraft: Ky10

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:36 AM

I use glass as a sort of greenhouse and it works fine but also use glowstone about 5 blocks above the wheat for fast growing. I have found a great automatic pumpkin/melon farm. I did not make it and don't take any credit in it except watching it...

My link
Thx and if I helped plz + me :)

#7

branko888
  • Location: Scotland
  • Minecraft: branko88

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

i don't think the glass will make much of a differance, but the glowstone is the same as natural sunlight so even if you cover the farm with dirt or something it still might grow
when life give's you lemons, throw it back in life's face and ask for diamonds

#8

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:42 AM

View PostSteve_S, on 22 December 2011 - 03:27 AM, said:

glass currently blocks light.
How does glass block light? O.o that really makes no sense.
Posted Image

#9

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:42 AM

[site made me double post sorry]
Posted Image

#10

cooldan114
  • Minecraft: cooldan114

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

It can't hurt to add torches.  anything can grow faster when theres torches.
Posted Image
Click to make him stronger

#11

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

[site error making me post more then once sorry]
Posted Image

#12

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:44 AM

[site error making me post more then once sorry]
Posted Image

#13

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:47 AM

[site error making me post more then once sorry]
Posted Image

#14

Kill2Blit
  • Location: In teh End trying to get that damn egg through the portal
  • Minecraft: Kill2Blit

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

reply is working uve got shits of posts

#15

Flopster
    Flopster

    Stuck at Home

  • Members
  • 413 posts
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Minecraft: floppy_gunk

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:53 AM

As far as I know (and from my research on the wiki), glass does not block sunlight, meaning your wheat will grow perfectly well with a roof over it's head. For aesthetic design, you can use fences (or glass panes or iron bars) like Steve_S said.

Posted Image
Help us at soartex.net!


#16

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

View PostKill2Blit, on 22 December 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

reply is working uve got shits of posts
It didnt post them when i first tried.

Now its posting them 10+ mins later then i actually posted random site error i guess

View Postfloppy_gunk, on 22 December 2011 - 03:53 AM, said:

As far as I know (and from my research on the wiki), glass does not block sunlight, meaning your wheat will grow perfectly well with a roof over it's head. For aesthetic design, you can use fences (or glass panes or iron bars) like Steve_S said.
Can you confirm glass blocks does not block light for the others? :s I like to make 100% sure myself
Posted Image

#17

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:15 AM

it be nice to see some proof that light glass blocks or doesn't block light.

I think it doesn't but i just wanna make sure.


Also if light does go though glass blocks, does it effect that light in any way? does the light value number change when going though a block? just wondering
Posted Image

#18

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Okay at this point im just going to guess that light isnt effected in the least :s thanks for the posts people
Posted Image

#19

Rpsfunkey
    Rpsfunkey

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 1112 posts
  • Location: New Zealand
  • Minecraft: RPSfunkey

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

To answer the thunder question, snow in the game appears to be rain, but in a snow biome. So if it's snowing you can walk to a normal biome and it'll be raining. So if it's a thunderstorm in the rainy places it'll have lightning in the snowy places.
THE MORE YOU KNOW :3

#20

Conker
    Conker

    Ghast Hunter

  • Members
  • 2807 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

View PostRpsfunkey, on 22 December 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

To answer the thunder question, snow in the game appears to be rain, but in a snow biome. So if it's snowing you can walk to a normal biome and it'll be raining. So if it's a thunderstorm in the rainy places it'll have lightning in the snowy places.
THE MORE YOU KNOW :3


However I'm in the middle of a snow bio

Miles and miles of snow.

So when i hear lighten exit my mind see snow then see lightening hitting down on the ground around me....makes me wtf O.o

The point I was making is if its snowing why is thunder hitting the ground around me still :/
Posted Image