Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Desert Style Houses?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Lord_Ochi
  • Minecraft: Lordochi

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

So I have been eager to try out living in a desert biome for a while now, but I can't think of any good desert-themed house designs...may I get some help with this? Sorry if this is the wrong section, pretty new to the forum :P
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

ommojommo
  • Minecraft: awritem8

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

We See That You are new to the Forum, and Welcome,
Posted Image

BlastFromHell

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

I think wood and sandstone will do the work.
Or use bricks\stonebricks\netherbricks.

Lord_Ochi

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, I was contemplating sandstone walls with wooden flooring, but I'm not completely sure yet. Thanks for the idea!
Also, how does my title change? I've seen people with "Lapis Lazuli Collector" and I'd love to have that, as I, well, collect Lapis Lazuli xD
Posted Image

DeadUniverse
  • Minecraft: _Dune_

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

View PostLord_Ochi, on 19 December 2011 - 06:08 PM, said:

Yeah, I was contemplating sandstone walls with wooden flooring, but I'm not completely sure yet. Thanks for the idea!
Also, how does my title change? I've seen people with "Lapis Lazuli Collector" and I'd love to have that, as I, well, collect Lapis Lazuli xD

depending on how many posts you have the higher your title becomes, when you are around 2000 I think you get mining god. Around 600 is redstone miner etc.
Posted Image

Grump
    Grump

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • Minecraft: Grump

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

I've had a desert-style house before - it focused on using glass, sandstone, sand, and gold blocks (with the occasional lapis lazuli block thrown in for decoration).  Think Egyptian styled.  Sometimes, colored wool can be used sparingly for trim (one of the browns or yellows works well, depending on your texture pack).  Cobblestone generally looks ugly, but smoothstone might be used to form columns for support (though I personally think clay looks better in this case).
"If I be known as anything, let me be known as a man that stands by his principles."

Program12
  • Minecraft: Program12

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

OMIGOSH

The ONLY way to make a desert place is a sandstone bunker, or a sandstone/netherbrick castle!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

strenbeath

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

i'm at work, so i don't have access to my desert house, but i'll post something when i get home.  it's teh awesomes.

Lord_Ochi

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

View Poststrenbeath, on 19 December 2011 - 07:49 PM, said:

i'm at work, so i don't have access to my desert house, but i'll post something when i get home.  it's teh awesomes.
Lol, great to see you're working hard! Thanks for the suggestions guys, I may post a picture of what I come up with soonish.
Posted Image

Shibo_Hebihime
  • Minecraft: Shibo_Hebihime

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

Make it with sandstone (looks better with a texture pack on) and make it how big you wish. I made a village one day.Posted Image

Posted Image

Dear Internet, I don't mean to sound slutty,but you can use me whenever you want.   -Sincerely, Grammar.

Lord_Ochi

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostShibo_Hebihime, on 19 December 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

Make it with sandstone (looks better with a texture pack on) and make it how big you wish. I made a village one day.-Picture-
Wow, put my building to shame xD big when I think about it, I have never done a big building like that, lol. Nice house
Posted Image

strenbeath

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

mine's simple, square, but still has a lot of room inside.  it's got a storage basement, main level, bedroom with a terrace and fountain, and the roof has a fireplace.

Posted Image

here's a close-ish view of the walls.  i combined sandstone and sand because i liked the decaying kind of look, kind of like hispanic-type buildings that have plaster falling off bricks.

Posted Image

strenbeath

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:33 AM

/removed repost

Qwertyman365
  • Minecraft: Qwertyman365

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

View Postommojommo, on 19 December 2011 - 06:05 PM, said:

We See That You are new to the Forum, and Welcome,

You Have Only Forty Posts.

Okay, I'll stop.

But styling makes a big difference. Think Mexican, Arabian or Egyptian.

View PostQwertyman365, on 13 December 2011 - 07:13 AM, said:

First off POST A PROPER ERROR REPORT. Use
Spoiler:

Sixtennis
  • Minecraft: Sixtennis

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

I built a desert style house once, and I thought it turned out pretty nicely! I usually focus on using sandstone for the walls, and wood for the floor (occasionally with some glowstone patterns thrown in if possible). Then I style the interior with gold blocks, lapis blocks, and water features that all attribute to the kind of yellow/blue style I think of when I think desert.

Usually desert houses are square structures with a flat roof. On this roof can be multiple things, such as a terrace with gardens, fountains, or even another level of the home itself! You kind of just have to experiment and see what will work best with the area you have available, as well as your personal taste!

Hope this helped a little bit!

~Sixtennis

"Now why would you do that?"