• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How to make a texture pack???

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Mrmmaster3

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi guys I know this is a stupid question but how do you make a texture pack without gimp or painterly???
Thanks allot guys. :)
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Crunxie
    Crunxie

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

You'll have to use a program like Photoshop.

You open up the terrain.png and start recoloring the pixels to whatever you desire. It's actually pretty simple.

BlackZHawk

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

I used paintbrush for my texture pack.  It's easy to use for beginners and you can immediately jump into it. Where photoshop has a little learning curve to it.

Mrmmaster3

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

View PostBlackZHawk, on 19 December 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

I used paintbrush for my texture pack.  It's easy to use for beginners and you can immediately jump into it. Where photoshop has a little learning curve to it.
Ya I know that kinda thing I am just wondering if there was a fast easier way. But I will try it.
Posted Image

Dan2098
    Dan2098

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • Minecraft: Dan2098

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

View PostMrmmaster3, on 19 December 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

without gimp

What's so bad about GIMP? It is kind of a free version of photoshop, also paint.net is great as well.
Posted Image

Blaziken584
    Blaziken584

Waker of the Winds

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 2601 posts
  • Minecraft: Blaziken584

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Photoshop and Gimp can't really be compared, there is such a large gap in features to be honest =/

Also,  Paint.NET is absolutely horrible compared to either of the two. =(
Posted Image  Wind Waker Texture Pack and for Pocket Edition! ~ Texture Pack Central - Large directory of Texture Packs!

Mrmmaster3

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

View PostBlaziken584, on 19 December 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

Photoshop and Gimp can't really be compared, there is such a large gap in features to be honest =/

No there is nothing wrong about gimp it's just I want something quicker besides painterly. Do any of you know a way???
Posted Image

traceroy
  • Minecraft: traceroy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostMrmmaster3, on 19 December 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

No there is nothing wrong about gimp it's just I want something quicker besides painterly. Do any of you know a way???

If you use painterly not customize a texture pack, it is NOT creating a texture pack. It's taking someone else's textures and using them.

GIMP is your best free option for making one. There's not even a "quick" way to make a pack, it takes dedication and hard work, unless you want to come out with a piece of crap.
Posted Image

AloSec
    AloSec

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1300 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostBlaziken584, on 19 December 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

Unless you're looking to do some seriously crazy unnecessary effects to your work on the texture pack, I'm pretty sure GIMP and paint.NET would both be fine.

EDIT: I'd use paint.NET just because it's the simplest.

Blaziken584
    Blaziken584

Waker of the Winds

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 2601 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:31 PM

View PostAloSec, on 19 December 2011 - 09:28 PM, said:

Unless you're looking to do some seriously crazy unnecessary effects to your work on the texture pack, I'm pretty sure GIMP and paint.NET would both be fine.

EDIT: I'd use paint.NET just because it's the simplest.
I use Photoshop because it has all the features I could ever ask for, and I am also a graphic designer, so I use it for many different purposes =3
Posted Image  Wind Waker Texture Pack and for Pocket Edition! ~ Texture Pack Central - Large directory of Texture Packs!

AloSec
    AloSec

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1300 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

View PostBlaziken584, on 19 December 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

I use Photoshop because it has all the features I could ever ask for, and I am also a graphic designer, so I use it for many different purposes =3

Well yeah, if you're a graphic designer obv you'd want more features than just the simply cut/paste/draw/select.. I was just talking about making a texture pack in Minecraft.

Mrmmaster3

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

View PostAloSec, on 19 December 2011 - 09:33 PM, said:

Well yeah, if you're a graphic designer obv you'd want more features than just the simply cut/paste/draw/select.. I was just talking about making a texture pack in Minecraft.
Do you guys have any gimp tips for me??? Besides taking my time.
Posted Image

AloSec
    AloSec

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1300 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

View PostMrmmaster3, on 19 December 2011 - 10:52 PM, said:

Do you guys have any gimp tips for me??? Besides taking my time.

The best way to learn how to use it is to simply toy around with it and learn it's settings. Online tutorials can be a blessing but it's up to you to really make stuff happen.

Blaziken584
    Blaziken584

Waker of the Winds

• Sectional Moderator
  • Curse Premium
  • 2601 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

View PostAloSec, on 19 December 2011 - 10:54 PM, said:

The best way to learn how to use it is to simply toy around with it and learn it's settings. Online tutorials can be a blessing but it's up to you to really make stuff happen.
Yea, online tutorials are nice and all, but I learned best by just going through all of the features and when you hit a bump, just try everything you can =)

You learn things better via trial and error, instead of brainlessly watching tutorials =)

Mrmmaster3

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

View PostBlaziken584, on 19 December 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

Yea, online tutorials are nice and all, but I learned best by just going through all of the features and when you hit a bump, just try everything you can =)

You learn things better via trial and error, instead of brainlessly watching tutorials =)
Ok thanks guys you helped allot. Oh ya please look up War Zone and try it out to give
me ideas thanks.
Posted Image

Janz101
    Janz101

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Minecraft: kdsnowboarder

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

What about Mac applications? Anything out there?
I am Janz101 and I approve this messege!