• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Destroy Nether Portal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

messyhead

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi folks. I've just had my first trip to the Nether. But my Nether Portal has spawned way up high, above a lava lake and there's no land nearby.

I read that if you sleep in a bed in the portal, then the bed explodes and if it's next to a portal, it will destroy it. I've tried doing this to create a new Nether Portal, but it just reactivated the same one.

Is there a way I can get rid of the current Nether Portal and spawn a new one, that hopefully might be in a friendlier place?

Here's some shots of the view from the portal;

Edit: pic links removed

Register or log in to remove.

Minecraft Fanatic
  • Minecraft: NaughtyMaid

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

Go back to the overworld and create a new nether portal in a new position farther away from your old one and you will spawn a new portal in the nether. Hopefully not above lava this time.
Posted Image][/URL]

KangaWk
    KangaWk

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Oh man... I was on a server once, and joined a town... Outside the town was a nether portal and the view was exactly like that. Just keep the one you have and bridge it... That's what we did.
Not sure if it still works. But you can use Ladders as sort of a way to get up higher places. - - Quoted from a post by Unit7 :P

William
    William

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1082 posts
  • Minecraft: Willikesart

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

Put your diamond tools away first. ;D

Posted Image

Posted Image

tharglet
    tharglet

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Minecraft: tharglet

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

Yer, options are to wander off in the overworld and build a new portal that is far enough away to not link up with this one (details can be found on minecraftwiki if you need) or bring a whole ton of dirt or the like into the nether and build a walkway to somewhere. For building walkways, I usually hold down shift and walk backwards, whilst clicking to place blocks. Best to keep your inventory empty whilst building a walkway, if you decide to, just in case you drop off or get ghasted.
Posted Image
Here there be dragons. Please click to help it grow :) (If it's in fog, it's unwell and not in need of clicks)

2weirdy
    2weirdy

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1098 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

Make a cobblestone bridge. It will probably always link to the same portal. If you really don't like it, get ghasts to shoot at you XD
Over 90 % of the human population is stupid (in my honest opinion). Don't expect too much from them when you post something that actually involves thought.

blaze1997

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

View Posttharglet, on 15 December 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

Yer, options are to wander off in the overworld and build a new portal that is far enough away to not link up with this one (details can be found on minecraftwiki if you need) or bring a whole ton of dirt or the like into the nether and build a walkway to somewhere. For building walkways, I usually hold down shift and walk backwards, whilst clicking to place blocks. Best to keep your inventory empty whilst building a walkway, if you decide to, just in case you drop off or get ghasted.
That is a good idea for a bridge, but just make it out of something like cobblestone so you dont get ghasted in midair. you should prob build a cobblestone generator until then so you can gather all of the cobblestone you need really easily. Hope this helped :D

messyhead

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Well, I just went back and tried building a bridge to the pillars in the 2nd screenshot, but almost got ghasted. They actually look too regular to be land. Could they be some sort of structure? There was something that sounded like a slime when I got close to them.

I had actually built another portal, pretty far away from the first one, but it still went to the same one.

I do have another home built even farther away so I'll go there and try a new one. If it still goes to the same one, then I'll just need to live with it.

Thanks for your suggestions folks.

castlelion3
  • Minecraft: castlelion3

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

View Postmessyhead, on 15 December 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

There was something that sounded like a slime when I got close to them.

That would be a lava slime, or whatever they're called.
99.186.22.95 talk to boatfighter747 to get whitelisted.His profile.It's a freebuild,no TNT or griefing.

grazazel
    grazazel

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Well, I just went back and tried building a bridge to the pillars in the 2nd screenshot, but almost got ghasted. They actually look too regular to be land. Could they be some sort of structure? There was something that sounded like a slime when I got close to them.

I had actually built another portal, pretty far away from the first one, but it still went to the same one.

I do have another home built even farther away so I'll go there and try a new one. If it still goes to the same one, then I'll just need to live with it.

from the screenshoots there is part of nether fortress there made from nether bricks.  There are mobs called magma cubes but they don't drop slime when killed.  If you build to fortress you may find a blaze spawner which sometimes drop blaze rods

grelvayg
    grelvayg

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

if you deactivate the portal (in the nether) it will generate a new one if you move in the overworld.
portals can be easily deactivated with water (overworld) or lava (overworld/nether). just pour it into the portal field. it works pretty well with lava. if you're quick enough you can just pour it out and collect the lava source.
of course to return you have to kill yourself - minimum cost: 1 bucket

Heanix
    Heanix

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

Use water.
Be a man and click the Posted Image.

Daryan5x4

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Bridge to the nether fort, you should be fine once you get in there

Endy123
    Endy123

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

build a new portal once you bridge over to the fortress then go back to your first and destroy the frame with a diamond pickaxe.

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

Don't let the ghasts scare you, their bark is worse than their bite. Build your bridge with a one block high wall and a ceiling above it.  Build by holding down shift then ducking out and placing a block then, ducking back to cover.  Try and take some out with arrows if they get close and eventually you'll quiet things down to where you can build without much issue.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Zkyo
    Zkyo

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Location: A small floating island with a lone tree and a chest
  • Minecraft: Zkyo

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

View PostMinecraft Fanatic, on 15 December 2011 - 11:12 AM, said:

Go back to the overworld and create a new nether portal in a new position farther away from your old one and you will spawn a new portal in the nether. Hopefully not above lava this time.
I did that before, and it didn't work out well. I had moved away about 1000 blocks, built a small house, and a portal. I basically just ended up floating above the same lava lake, my other portal just in sight. >_>

View PostHeanix, on 15 December 2011 - 12:33 PM, said:

Use water.
In the nether? :P

View Postrodabon, on 15 December 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

Don't let the ghasts scare you, their bark is worse than their bite. Build your bridge with a one block high wall and a ceiling above it.  Build by holding down shift then ducking out and placing a block then, ducking back to cover.  Try and take some out with arrows if they get close and eventually you'll quiet things down to where you can build without much issue.
Except when you don't have armor. Then, their fireballs one-shot you half the time. D:
Posted Image

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

View PostZkyo, on 15 December 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

Except when you don't have armor. Then, their fireballs one-shot you half the time. D:

Then you need to get your priorities straight, I always have a full suit of iron armor before heading to the nether.  It's not like its hard to find that much iron.  Go explore caves for an hour and you'll easily have enough.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..