Latest News Article

[1.4.4][SSP/SMP] Fewer Ravines/Less Caves 2.2

caves ravines world generation 1.4.4

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

NoxVulpes
  • Minecraft: noxvulpes

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

I was really looking forward to this mod (I hate caves/ravines)--tried this out using both approaches when creating a new world. It doesn't work. :(

I used a seed that I knew had some cave systems close to the spawn point without this mod, followed the instructions and changed the config so that no caves or ravines would spawn. The cave system still spawned in the same spot. >__< I then tried changing the config again (set both caves and ravines to 10), and the cave system was still unaffected.

Register or log in to remove.

ozzymud
    ozzymud

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Minecraft: Ozzymud

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostNoxVulpes, on 09 December 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

I was really looking forward to this mod (I hate caves/ravines)--tried this out using both approaches when creating a new world. It doesn't work. Posted Image

I used a seed that I knew had some cave systems close to the spawn point without this mod, followed the instructions and changed the config so that no caves or ravines would spawn. The cave system still spawned in the same spot. >__< I then tried changing the config again (set both caves and ravines to 10), and the cave system was still unaffected.

To get spawn area chunks to generate with 0 ravines and 0 caves, you must create the save folder beforehand and put the cfg file in /before/ generating the world... make a folder called "world" in .minecraft/saves, create a text file named "fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg" in there... here is the contents for 0 caves/ravines....

; generate no caves or ravines - still has underground water and lava lakes
caves = 0
ravines = 0

View PostBlazingRiver, on 02 December 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

The mod doesn't work in 1.4.5 Posted Image

You might be doing something wrong, i have it along with MANY other mods working fine in 1.4.5. Is it giving an error? crashing? is the "fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg" file generating in a new worlds save folder? (%AppData%\.minecraft\saves\world_name_here\fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg)

Here is my list:

Minecraft 1.4.5
Forge 6.4.1.426
Optifine 1.4.5_HD_D5
Millenaire 3.2.7 (upped from 3.2.6 trying to get Sadhu back)
Thaumcraft 3.0.0i
Craft Guide 1.6.5.11
Easy Crafting 1.1.2
Rei's Minimap 3.2_05
StatusEffectHUD 1.7
Death Chest 1.4.5 (replaces Keep Inventory on Death)
Minions 1.4.4
EnchantingPlus 1.11.1 (replaces Better Enchanting)
Pfaeff's Modpack 1.1.0
Mo' Creatures 4.3.1 (with GuiAPI 0.15.1-1.4.5 & CustomMobSpawner v1.9.0)
InvTweaks 1.45-1.4.4
Risugami Armor Stand
Risugami Shelves
DaftPVF Ingame Info
DaftPVF Treecapitator 1.4.5.r01
DaftPVF Floating Ruins
DaftPVF Crystal Wing
DaftPVF Starting Inventory
More Fuel 1.2.5 (old version works in 1.4.5!)
Balkon's Weapon Mod 1.10.1 [1.4.4]
Battle Towers 1.4.4
Ropes+ 1.44
--
Fewer Ravines/Less Caves 2.2
Risugami Sign Tags
Risugami More Stackables
Pam's Get all the Seeds 1.5 (MC 1.4.4)
Pam's Simple Recipes 1.8 (MC 1.4.4)
Minecraft Capes 1.4.4/1.4.5
ExtrabiomesXL universal 1.4.5-3.6.0
Twilight Forest 1.13.1
Forestry 1.6.2.8
Faithfull32 (w/ Balkon's Weapon Mod added) or Painterly Pack (default settings)

Edited by ozzymud, 13 December 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Posted Image

Taiine
    Taiine

Blaze Extinguisher

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 4175 posts
  • Minecraft: Taiine

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

This BADLY and I mean BADLY needs to add MINESHAFTS to the mix! I am so sick of running into them! I want them rare, I want them special, not 'ugh ANOTHER freaking mineshaft!'

Posted Image

Keybounce

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:25 AM

Hmm ...

Can you make mineshafts both rarer and bigger when they do generate?

View Postarthahar, on 22 November 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Can be very cool in future have support different cfg files for different dimentions (original like Nether, or mystcraft generated for example). So save own config for each dimention, and maybe provide some API for mystcraft-like mods for control values for generated dimentions.

Seconded!

As simple as "If I'm generating the overworld, use the default; otherwise, use the config settings". Then, I can set the config settings to 20%, and use mystcraft cave/ravine symbols to control how much I get.
My channel with Mystcraft, and general Minecraft Let's Plays: http://www.youtube.com/user/Keybounce
** NEW: FtB "Magic Farm", performance testing and java flags.
My main world: http://www.minecraft...ts-play-series/
(season 3 is officially on hold for performance issues; season 2 has "teasers" at the start of each episode, I apologize for confusion)

BlazingRiver
  • Minecraft: blazingriver
  • Xbox:I prefer PS3...
  • PSN:blazing_river

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

View Postozzymud, on 13 December 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

To get spawn area chunks to generate with 0 ravines and 0 caves, you must create the save folder beforehand and put the cfg file in /before/ generating the world... make a folder called "world" in .minecraft/saves, create a text file named "fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg" in there... here is the contents for 0 caves/ravines....

; generate no caves or ravines - still has underground water and lava lakes
caves = 0
ravines = 0

You might be doing something wrong, i have it along with MANY other mods working fine in 1.4.5. Is it giving an error? crashing? is the "fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg" file generating in a new worlds save folder? (%AppData%\.minecraft\saves\world_name_here\fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg)

Here is my list:

Minecraft 1.4.5
Forge 6.4.1.426
Optifine 1.4.5_HD_D5
Millenaire 3.2.7 (upped from 3.2.6 trying to get Sadhu back)
Thaumcraft 3.0.0i
Craft Guide 1.6.5.11
Easy Crafting 1.1.2
Rei's Minimap 3.2_05
StatusEffectHUD 1.7
Death Chest 1.4.5 (replaces Keep Inventory on Death)
Minions 1.4.4
EnchantingPlus 1.11.1 (replaces Better Enchanting)
Pfaeff's Modpack 1.1.0
Mo' Creatures 4.3.1 (with GuiAPI 0.15.1-1.4.5 & CustomMobSpawner v1.9.0)
InvTweaks 1.45-1.4.4
Risugami Armor Stand
Risugami Shelves
DaftPVF Ingame Info
DaftPVF Treecapitator 1.4.5.r01
DaftPVF Floating Ruins
DaftPVF Crystal Wing
DaftPVF Starting Inventory
More Fuel 1.2.5 (old version works in 1.4.5!)
Balkon's Weapon Mod 1.10.1 [1.4.4]
Battle Towers 1.4.4
Ropes+ 1.44
--
Fewer Ravines/Less Caves 2.2
Risugami Sign Tags
Risugami More Stackables
Pam's Get all the Seeds 1.5 (MC 1.4.4)
Pam's Simple Recipes 1.8 (MC 1.4.4)
Minecraft Capes 1.4.4/1.4.5
ExtrabiomesXL universal 1.4.5-3.6.0
Twilight Forest 1.13.1
Forestry 1.6.2.8
Faithfull32 (w/ Balkon's Weapon Mod added) or Painterly Pack (default settings)

No crashes, i have the config file generate in the save folder, i delete everything apart from level.dat and config yet i still see those caves! And i also change it to 0 in the config.

I have sim-u-kraft, too many items, stoves carts and some others but i have tried it without mods and it still doesn't work. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

Levy
    Levy

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Minecraft: Levy_Wilson

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Works fine for me in 1.4.5. On default settings, using the glowstone-see-through-world trick, I can see one lump of caves and the rest of the world is nothing but a few lakes here and there. I love having worlds that aren't swiss cheese.

zatoichi

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

holy hell where has this been and why is it not way more popular? could not believe I found it just now linked from another post, thank goodness. I really want to see it go further to fix the absurd endless swiss cheese theme park circus this world gen has become, another vote to unstack mineshafts and change rarity/manipulate their size if possible. this mod along with strongholdfix really does alot to clean up the world gen and make mining/exploring fun again.

would it be possible to seperate the size/rarity of caves into different variables? like say we wanted to have far fewer caves, but each cave sysem be made of much bigger caverns, similar to the swiss cheese example but very rare. this would make them so much more enjoyable to stumble upon, instead of tripping over them every other block you want to dig through.
overzealous moderators incapable of thinking for themselves are more of a danger to any forum than anyone trying to abuse it.

MinecraftStunter
  • Minecraft: BigYellowSnow

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Not trying to be a pest (again), but any news on how long the update will take?

Levy
    Levy

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just want to make my support for this mod known. It's one of my most depended upon mods. :D Take your time on a stable 1.4.6 release, please.

MinecraftStunter
  • Minecraft: BigYellowSnow

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

Right now I refuse to use 1.4.6 until this mod is updated.

ChMorto
    ChMorto

Carpenter

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

update to 1.4.6 please

Levy
    Levy

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

I want to add that this mod is the last mod that I want to install that modifies world generation. I can't really start playing how I like without it. I really hope you update it soon. Thanks.

Levy
    Levy

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Okay, since Raptor411 hasn't shown signs of being online in a while, I took the liberty of updating the client version of the mod to 1.4.6. All it took was a decompile, recompile, and a reobfuscate with MCP.

Don't ask me to do the server version. I have little knowledge in what I am doing, I barely got this to work. But it does work from what I can tell.

http://www.mediafire...wal4gndin9g53en

ozzymud
    ozzymud

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostLevy, on 24 December 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

I have little knowledge in what I am doing, I barely got this to work. But it does work from what I can tell.

It is not creating the "fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg" for me... even when the config file is placed in the save folder directly with 0 & 0, caves and ravines are still there. Not working here.
Posted Image

zatoichi

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

View Postozzymud, on 27 December 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

It is not creating the "fewerRavinesLessCaves.cfg" for me... even when the config file is placed in the save folder directly with 0 & 0, caves and ravines are still there. Not working here.

well did you have the config set before generating your world? it only works for new chunks, so if you don't do it till after, generated land around your spawn will still have caves. the update is working fine here when following directions in op.
overzealous moderators incapable of thinking for themselves are more of a danger to any forum than anyone trying to abuse it.

arthahar
    arthahar

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

View Postozzymud, on 27 December 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Config created in world save directory: MinecraftDir/saves/WorldDir

ozzymud
    ozzymud

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

View Postzatoichi, on 27 December 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

well did you have the config set before generating your world? it only works for new chunks, so if you don't do it till after, generated land around your spawn will still have caves. the update is working fine here when following directions in op.

View Postarthahar, on 27 December 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

Config created in world save directory: MinecraftDir/saves/WorldDir

Let me clarify, i had been successfully using this mod before, If you just create a world...  default config was generated in the worlds save folder. I normally placed a custom config in a folder then created a world with that folders name... placing one in an empty folder.. say "world 1" with "caves = 0" & "ravines = 0" ... then creating a new world in minecraft named "world 1"... loading the world, then checking it with Minutor shows many caves and ravines.

No issues using the OP's mod, just this one from Levy.
Posted Image

Levy
    Levy

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

It does create the config file for me.

I just did a quick test with a 0 cave 0 ravine world. I can confirm that there's nothing but mineshafts and water/lava ponds underground.

Posted Image

Perhaps you installed it incorrectly? This is a jar mod, so it goes in the jar.

Voqar
    Voqar

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

I think the server jar just needs a recompile and obfuscate.

It's silly to me that they obfuscate when everyone can undo and/or redo it at will.  All it does is break mods like this every time they do any kind of release.

Pretty sure that most of the time the only thing that has to be done to update this mod is that recompile routine.

I'm a programmer but I do .net and have no desire to setup all the crap necessary to do this (looked into it and, meh, screw that mess).

This is the ONLY add/mod I use and me and my crew won't update new releases until this mod catches up, which sadly is usually days/weeks after the fact.

We're swiss cheese intolerant.

This game BADLY needs built-in map generation control.

I would imagine when/if they ever get mod integration built in to the game that this mod will be done for and that's something that makes me a sad creeper.

drakray
    drakray

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Minecraft: drakray

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:42 AM

Any news for an update to 1.4.6?, I REALLY am in need for this king of genControl, tired of endless cave exploration or wall making, when in search for resources.., again, Thanks :)
I am from Québec, so be gentle with my english  ;)