• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

pj3005
    pj3005

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

so..... everybody thinks META-INF is a bad piece of code that only is put inside minecraft to stop modders........

this is why

META-INF is the security of minecraft, when files are added it sees it and dont let minecraft run, this is to stop viruses because they change files
now a mod also add and change files so it thinks it is a virus, but yeah,computers cant think so.....you delete it

i actually want to say that you dont need to delete META-INF when you arent going to install mods
it is actually really bad.......so dont delete when you dont want to install mods ...its your own risk

Register or log in to remove.

Aweshum
    Aweshum

Diamond Miner

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:32 PM

I never delete it unless I am using mods.

Host00die
  • Minecraft: Host00die

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Proof/Article on META-INF?
Just beign curious.
Host the Pirate
Addicted since Beta 1.5

pj3005
    pj3005

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

yeah but on the internet are some persons that arent really good with computers its mainly for them

jonathanthorpe

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

The META-INF directory is actually there to store configuration files to help JAVA run the application. The reason that mods require you to delete it is because the changes mods make to the base code are incompatible with the configuration data contained in META-INF, causing crashes and other errors. It does not serve a critical purpose, and can safely be deleted with no negative impact on the application. So from a certain point of view, it does pose a minimal security risk as the application is no longer able to verify all code it contains. The chances of getting a virus that implants malicious JAVA bytecode into a specific file is... lets say... very small. Its far more likely you'd become infected by allowing malicious code to be executed by injecting the bytecode yourself in the form of a bad mod. So as long as you only download known and tested mods from reputable sources, you're fine.

xhayatox

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

View Postjonathanthorpe, on 09 December 2011 - 06:43 PM, said:

The META-INF directory is actually there to store configuration files to help JAVA run the application. The reason that mods require you to delete it is because the changes mods make to the base code are incompatible with the configuration data contained in META-INF, causing crashes and other errors. It does not serve a critical purpose, and can safely be deleted with no negative impact on the application. So from a certain point of view, it does pose a minimal security risk as the application is no longer able to verify all code it contains. The chances of getting a virus that implants malicious JAVA bytecode into a specific file is... lets say... very small. Its far more likely you'd become infected by allowing malicious code to be executed by injecting the bytecode yourself in the form of a bad mod. So as long as you only download known and tested mods from reputable sources, you're fine.

You possess the intellectual prowess of a God.

lukesterh
  • Minecraft: lukesterh

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Does anyone delete meta inf if they aren't installing mods?
I do web stuff...
http://www.lukehobster.com | Follow me on Twitter: @lukehobster

falconfetus8
  • Minecraft: falconfetus8

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

META-INF is like Gravel; it technically has a use, but nobody ever uses it anyway so they deem it worthless.
Posted Image

Yoshiapp130
  • Minecraft: Yoshiapp130

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

You could just re-name it?
Posted Image

Zakristone

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostYoshiapp130, on 05 January 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

You could just re-name it?
That's not how it works...

You could rename a person but they'll still be that person.

OmegaRainbow
  • Minecraft: OmegaRainbow

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

View Postlukesterh, on 09 December 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

I was wondering the same thing...it's like
wanting to fix something that isn't broken ;)
lol
Check out this NEW HD Minecraft Hardcore YouTube Channel :)

velociraptor24
  • Minecraft: velociraptor24
  • Xbox:utahraptor24

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

View Postlukesterh, on 09 December 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

I do
NO SIG!

3DSKing
    3DSKing

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'm using windows xp and when i delete meta inf i get blackscreen modloader or not it blackscreens! [i have winrar]

Kull14
    Kull14

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1362 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

I delete it when i install mods
Empty Signature is Empty........