Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Minecraft Modding Tutorials

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Wouter10123
  • Minecraft: Wouter10123

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Ever wanted to make your own mods? Now here's your chance!
I'm making some tutorials on making mods for 1.0.0, so if you're interested please go ahead and watch them either on my channel (http://www.youtube.c...ser/Wouter10123), or just in this thread:

(Put them in a spoiler to decrease page loading times xD)

Spoiler:
Let me know if you're looking for a specific tutorial, and I'll see if I can make it for you!
Thanks for watching if you did!

Also, please follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Wouter10123
Modding Tutorials: /topic/846178-minecraft-modding-tutorials/, SkyBlock Let's Play: /topic/785602-skyblock-survival-lets-play/  Redstone Tutorials: /topic/775054-redstone-tutorial/

Register or log in to remove.

katmoo
    katmoo

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Minecraft: katmoo

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

I've been wanting to make an NPC Mob mod, Perhaps you could help?
Can someone direct me to the nearest Age?

Wouter10123

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

View Postkatmoo, on 06 December 2011 - 03:40 PM, said:

Thanks for your response! I've done it myself, so I think I can make a tutorial on it as well ;D Do you want your NPC to have the same model as an existing mob, or does it need a whole new design? I can do both, the latter just takes a bit more time ;)
Modding Tutorials: /topic/846178-minecraft-modding-tutorials/, SkyBlock Let's Play: /topic/785602-skyblock-survival-lets-play/  Redstone Tutorials: /topic/775054-redstone-tutorial/

BrotherOfShadows
  • Minecraft: BrotherOfShadows

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I commented just to save this. xD I gonna make a mod later, you see. :P

It didn't save... Atleast i Ctrl+c. xD

Posted Image

Wouter10123

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

View PostBrotherOfShadows, on 06 December 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

I commented just to save this. xD I gonna make a mod later, you see. :P

It didn't save... Atleast i Ctrl+c. xD
Thank you very much! If you need a tutorial I don't have yet, just let me know ;)

Wouter10123

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Just updated my code to 1.0.0, I'll record tomorrow and upload tomorrow or later this week ;)

OrangeHolyMango

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:32 AM

I always wanted to do modding can you teach me how to make a food?

View Postchris123456789, on 10 April 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

i mean u lay an egg and a mini steve comes out like a lil follower

Wouter10123

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

View PostOrangeHolyMango, on 07 December 2011 - 06:32 AM, said:

I always wanted to do modding can you teach me how to make a food?
Sure thing! I'll record and upload somewhere this week!

Wouter10123

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Just uploaded Tutorial 02 and 03!

Here you go!
I hope it helps, and thanks for watching!

matheusbacha

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

My mod is almost ready (a block), I'm just having problem with the texture.

Should I create a 16x16 image of my block and put it in the same folder as terrain.png?

Wouter10123

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

View Postmatheusbacha, on 09 December 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

My mod is almost ready (a block), I'm just having problem with the texture.

Should I create a 16x16 image of my block and put it in the same folder as terrain.png?
The texture should indeed be 16x16, but it needs to be in the directory you set in the
blockName.blockIndexInTexture=ModLoader.AddOverride("/terrain.png", "your directory here");
In my case, it was "/christmas/present1.png", so it's in a folder "christmas" in the minecraft.jar in my MCP/jars/bin folder. If you put your texture in the root minecraft.jar (where terrain.png is as well), you need to change the texture line in your code to
blockName.blockIndexInTexture=ModLoader.AddOverride("/terrain.png", "/imageName.png");
. The "/" in the front and the ".png" at the end is very important. (If it's a .png file, that is, I'm not sure if minecraft can read other files than .png)

In my 3rd tutorial I showed how to do this, because I forgot to do so in the second one ;) If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll try my best to help even more :D

matheusbacha

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thank you so much Wouter10123, my block is now ready!!!

If possible, could you create a tutorial on how to create a multiple texture block (for example, the top of it should be green while the rest yellow), how to create a sword, pickaxe...?

Anyway, I just have a minor question now... If I want to send my block to a friend of mine, I just need to send him my _modBLOCKNAME and my texture folder and tell him to put in a specific place? (if that's it, please, tell me where :D)

Again, thank you so much, your tutorial was perfect.

Wouter10123

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

View Postmatheusbacha, on 09 December 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Thank you so much Wouter10123, my block is now ready!!!

If possible, could you create a tutorial on how to create a multiple texture block (for example, the top of it should be green while the rest yellow), how to create a sword, pickaxe...?

Anyway, I just have a minor question now... If I want to send my block to a friend of mine, I just need to send him my _modBLOCKNAME and my texture folder and tell him to put in a specific place? (if that's it, please, tell me where :D)

Again, thank you so much, your tutorial was perfect, my only "tip" for you is to explain a little bit more about the texture (my ex-problem), a simple text like the one you posted is good enought.
You're welcome :D
To export your mod, you need to run the MCP/recompile.bat, and then the MCP/reobfuscate.bat file. Then, in the reobf folder, you'll find a .class file (or multiple if you made multiple files). If you put that .class file and your texture (texture can go in a folder, if you had it like that before) in a winRar archive, you can send that to your friend, and he'll have to add them in his %appdata%/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar file, together with Risugami's ModLoader.

I haven't done multiple textures myself yet, but I think it's not that hard, and I'll look into it this weekend. A new tool/armor set is definately gonna be a future tutorial ;D (I'll make them out of snow, that isn't weird is it?)

I'm glad you like the tutorials!

matheusbacha

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

View PostWouter10123, on 09 December 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

You're welcome :D
To export your mod, you need to run the MCP/recompile.bat, and then the MCP/reobfuscate.bat file. Then, in the reobf folder, you'll find a .class file (or multiple if you made multiple files). If you put that .class file and your texture (texture can go in a folder, if you had it like that before) in a winRar archive, you can send that to your friend, and he'll have to add them in his %appdata%/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar file, together with Risugami's ModLoader.

I haven't done multiple textures myself yet, but I think it's not that hard, and I'll look into it this weekend. A new tool/armor set is definately gonna be a future tutorial ;D (I'll make them out of snow, that isn't weird is it?)

I'm glad you like the tutorials!

Out of snow... Sounds awesome :D :D

Can't wait for it!!

matheusbacha

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Wouter10123, not wanting to bother you, but already, I was hoping you could also create a tutorial on how to create blocks for multiplayer (if you know how to do so), how to create a block that spawns in the map (like an ore), how to set a drop of an item (like sapling, when destroying a leaf) and for last, how to set that a block only drops an item when destroyed by a specific weapon (like de diamond ore, that only drop an ore when destroyed by a specific pickaxe).

I know it's a lot and you have other things to do, so if it's not possible to help me, no problem, I'll understand :D

Wouter10123

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

View Postmatheusbacha, on 09 December 2011 - 05:01 PM, said:

Wouter10123, not wanting to bother you, but already, I was hoping you could also create a tutorial on how to create blocks for multiplayer (if you know how to do so), how to create a block that spawns in the map (like an ore), how to set a drop of an item (like sapling, when destroying a leaf) and for last, how to set that a block only drops an item when destroyed by a specific weapon (like de diamond ore, that only drop an ore when destroyed by a specific pickaxe).

I know it's a lot and you have other things to do, so if it's not possible to help me, no problem, I'll understand :D
Well, I´m sure glad you like 'em :D I don't know how to do multiplayer (yet, but I'll find out ;D), but I can do the other 3 (I think). I'll make them this weekend or somewhere next week. Next tutorial coming up is about food ;)

cherubster122
  • Minecraft: cherubster122

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hi, i was wondering could you make a tutorial on creating a liquid with waters properties but lavas spread speed, and that when place in a specific biome it changes to a solid state, like ice, and also how to create a new biome? or a new dimension, also how would i go about making an item i have already created into a tool, that when right clicked, it changes the block you are looking at into a different block?

Thanks,
-Cherubster122
Posted Image

BloodPheonics

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

I want to second Cherubster122's idea....

I also need help with creating new dimensions and adding new liquids.   However! I would like a simple tutorial...for example;
1) How to make new liquids into the game with own images.
2) How to make a new dimension (but using the nether world biomes (but say replace netherrack with stone, so you can tell difference)

OpelSpeedster
  • Minecraft: OpelSpeedster

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

What about new dimensions?

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2002. One of the best NFS games made. Never Forget.

Pictured in my avatar is a modified Lamborghini Diablo VT, fitted with an Artificial Intelligence core, granting it self-awareness. It can control itself, so don't think about stealing it. Picture not taken by me.

Wouter10123

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

@OpelSpeedster @BloodPheonics @ cherubster112
I will eventually do a tutorial on a new dimension, but it's gonna take a while to prepare, record and edit, and it's also very complicated, so I wanna do some other stuff first. But it's definately gonna be there one day!
Liquids: I'm working on it myself, as soon as I find out how to do it, I'll make a tutorial on it.

Planned tutorials are: Food, Exporting your mod, Ores, Armor, Tools, Multiple textures, Placing blocks with items, ..., ..., ..., ..., ..., ..., Dimension ;) (In that order)

I'd like to thank all of you for watching my video's and suggesting new tutorials, which makes me know you like them and you want more of them! I really appriciate it ;)