Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Multiple Versions on Mac OS X?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

TheGreatHilario

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

Hey gang!

Anyone know if there is a way to run multiple versions of Minecraft on Mac OS X?  I have some thoughts on how to do it, but thought I would ask around first.  I'd like to keep running 1.8.1 for my multiplayer for the time being, but would like to start playing around with 1.0.0 in Singleplayer mode.

Any thoughts?  I'm sure it's a matter of running separate minecraft folders in the application support folder, but is it as simple as just having two folders each with a different version of the minecraft.jar files?

Thanks!

Bob

Register or log in to remove.

Stealthy_Thinking
  • Minecraft: StealthyThinking

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:53 AM

Googele MCNostalgia and then save the 1.8 and 1.0.0 jars.

HeadlessBill

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:57 AM

View PostTheGreatHilario, on 06 December 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

Hey gang!

Anyone know if there is a way to run multiple versions of Minecraft on Mac OS X?  I have some thoughts on how to do it, but thought I would ask around first.  I'd like to keep running 1.8.1 for my multiplayer for the time being, but would like to start playing around with 1.0.0 in Singleplayer mode.

Any thoughts?  I'm sure it's a matter of running separate minecraft folders in the application support folder, but is it as simple as just having two folders each with a different version of the minecraft.jar files?

Thanks!

Bob

Yup! That's what I do. I have two 1.7.3 folders (one vanilla, one with mods), two 1.8.1 folders and a 1.0.0 folder. I just rename the minecraft folder I want to use to 'minecraft' and the previous minecraft folder to '*version number* minecraft.'

Sko
    Sko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2516 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

Here's how I do it.

TheGreatHilario

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Ok...

So I think I'd rather do this manually rather than use something like McNostalgia for now.  So should I just rename my minecraft folder something like:

minecraft 1-8-1

Then, login and force an update to get the new version?  That way I can just rename the folders manually when I want to choose which version I play.  

That was kind of what I was originally thinking, but wanted to check with folks here first.  My 1.8.1 is pretty modded right now, and I'd like to not have to do that again.  I already had a conflict that caused me to have to start over and reinstall them in a different order.  

Thanks guys!

Bob