Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Setting up an Xbox 360 Controller (With Free Software)


  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1

met48
    met48

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

I've seen it mentioned before, but every solution has either had usability problems (eg. Joy2Key), used shareware programs that needed a standalone client, or required custom drivers. While those solutions do work, here's a guide to using little-known free program GlovePIE!

With just a few steps you'll end up with this control scheme (Click to see the whole thing):

Posted Image

First, you'll need to plug in your 360 Controller and install it correctly (Vista or later will do that automatically. For XP, use the driver disc). Then just follow these simple steps:

    [*:1xzbiov5]Download GlovePIE (Direct Link). Windows only, unfortunately.
    [*:1xzbiov5]Unzip it somewhere. To do so, make a folder on your computer (eg. C:/GlovePIE), then open the zip file you downloaded. Select the files and drag them into the new folder.
    [*:1xzbiov5]Download the config file I made (Right Click->Save As...).
    [*:1xzbiov5]Run GlovePIE.exe, then open the config file.
    [*:1xzbiov5]If you're using Vista or Windows 7, select TroubleShooter->Fake Windows 98. You'll have to do this each time you start GlovePIE.
    [*:1xzbiov5]Click Run!

At this point it should already be working - just open minecraft and start playing, whether from the browser or with a standalone client! If not, then post and I might be able to help sort out any problems.

Troubleshooting
    [*:1xzbiov5]Nothing's happening when I use the controller!
    Make sure the controller is installed correctly. You can check this in Windows 7 by going to Devices and Printers. Otherwise, open the Game Controller Settings window and check there.
    If it's installed fine, try toggling "Fake Windows 98" under the TroubleShooter menu in GlovePIE. Of course, make sure the script actually runs when you click Run too (Should say "[Running]" in title bar).
    [*:1xzbiov5]It turns way too slow/fast!
    Once you have the script open, look at the second line - "var.TurnSpeed = 28". Change that value and rerun the script until it's good.
    [*:1xzbiov5]Inventory navigation is useless, it's way too slow/fast.
    Similar to the previous answer, adjust the value for line 3 of the script ("var.InvSpeed")
    [*:1xzbiov5]Can buttons be remapped?
    Yes, though it requires a bit of script editing. The file is commented fairly well, so if you've worked in any scripting language it should be easy to follow. You can also try the GUI tab of GlovePIE, though it's a bit unreliable - especially if you try changing the open/close inventory button.

That's about it. Good joystick to keyboard programs are hard to find (for free) and the best - GlovePIE - can be intimidating, so I hope this helps someone get their controller working with Minecraft.

If you want, you can use GlovePIE to setup configurations for nearly any input device - including WiiMotes! I don't have a script ready for that, though.

Register or log in to remove.

#2

LuciferZ
    LuciferZ

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

I'd like to program the POVhat (Dpad) so that pressing up on it will be Key.Z, left and right are Key.Enter and Key.K. I've already shifted some other things around, but the code for the POVHat confuses me a bit. Can you give me a hand?

#3

met48
    met48

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

LuciferZ said:

I'd like to program the POVhat (Dpad) so that pressing up on it will be Key.Z, left and right are Key.Enter and Key.K. I've already shifted some other things around, but the code for the POVHat confuses me a bit. Can you give me a hand?

Sure! The POVHat is actually considered an analog stick in a way - there are two variables, Pov1x and Pov1y. They have values from -1 to 1, negative being left or up, positive being right or down.

The easiest way to do this is using EnsureMapRange, like when WASD was mapped. For what you described:

Key.Z = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.Pov1y, 0,-1, 0,1)
Key.Enter = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.Pov1x, 0,-1, 0,1)
Key.K = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.Pov1x, 0,1, 0,1)

Just a note, though - the 360 D-pad hardware is really unreliable because apparently it is an analog stick, not four buttons with a hat (like most controllers). It's generally not good for irreversible commands as a result.

EDIT: Yup, that looks right for down. Glad to hear it's working!

#4

LuciferZ
    LuciferZ

    Lapis Lazuli Collector

  • Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

Thanks! So if I think of something to program to down, the format would be

Key.{whatever} = EnsureMapRange (Joystick1.Pov1y, 0,1 0,1)

Correct?

Thanks for the help, it seems to be working great :lol:

#5

Killing_Frenzie

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:16 AM

There is something called Xpadder go check it out... its actually really good and self explanitory to use!
NEW WEBSITE AT http://titansmp.webs.com

#6

SN3AK
    SN3AK

    Carpenter

  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

Killing_Frenzie said:

There is something called Xpadder go check it out... its actually really good and self explanitory to use!
That's what I use daily, I have one wireless controller just for my pc and use it as a remote with Winamp, Foobar, and Windows Media Player. I've tried XBCD+ before, it was horrible to use. XPadder is easy to use, you can also set up Cycles to do a series of keystrokes for you (such as automatically opening the console window, typing in a cheat and closing the console window with the press of one button on Jets N Guns.) You can also have multiple profiles and map a key to switch between sets.

#7

Canadian_x360a

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

Killing_Frenzie said:

There is something called Xpadder go check it out... its actually really good and self explanitory to use!

Yeah and I already made a tutorial for it awhile ago, therefore making this tutorial redundant.

Xpadder is easier.
[ Enter Canadian Multiworlds | Canadian Multiworlds Official Forums ]

Chezzmo said:

I'll bet you get into a lot of fights because you're so hardcore. I wouldn't want to cross you in a dark alley. Heck, even in a lit alley, I bet that'd be pretty dangerous.

#8

hello4am

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

i've been trying to do this for a really long time, i have everything working how i like it- but i can't control the camera at all, it is always moving and always either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

#9

met48
    met48

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:49 AM

hello4am said:

i've been trying to do this for a really long time, i have everything working how i like it- but i can't control the camera at all, it is always moving and always either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

Is that with this script? You can use decimal numbers on line two to adjust sensitivity.

Canadian_x360a said:

Killing_Frenzie said:

There is something called Xpadder go check it out... its actually really good and self explanitory to use!

Yeah and I already made a tutorial for it awhile ago, therefore making this tutorial redundant.

Xpadder is easier.

Wouldn't really call it redundant, since this tutorial gives a different fully-free piece of software and a ready-to-go mapping file, with some scripted features.

Both are viable options, but it's my opinion that GlovePIE is a better choice for most applications. It supports basically every gaming device your OS will recognize (including Wii controllers, which is how I initially found it), allows for scripting more advanced actions in, and is as easy to map as options like Xpadder once the initial accessibility problems are overcome. Plus its development is still supported, while Xpadder has moved on to requiring payment.

#10

Canadian_x360a

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:07 AM

Yes, it requires payment, as I just saw today.

But you can still find it for free.

Minecraft 5.3: http://www.mediafire.com/?xinoyyqjzqy
[ Enter Canadian Multiworlds | Canadian Multiworlds Official Forums ]

Chezzmo said:

I'll bet you get into a lot of fights because you're so hardcore. I wouldn't want to cross you in a dark alley. Heck, even in a lit alley, I bet that'd be pretty dangerous.

#11

Mikesword221

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

met48 said:

    [*:ev4ph0wy]If you're using Vista or Windows 7, select TroubleShooter->Fake Windows 98. You'll have to do this each time you start GlovePIE.
If you go into properties and click the compatibility tab, you won't have to do this all the time if you change the compatibility to Windows 98/me. Don't know if this works for Windows 7 though.
It's MikeSWORD221 not Mike's word221. Got it?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#12

Sickofguessing

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

using it now...and ...omg..wow..very good but need to change the sensitivity down lots :D to like 18?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13

hello4am

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

edit: j/k

:o

#14

Navineous
  • Location: Virginia

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:17 AM

I have a logitech USB controller with this work?

TheCommieDuck said:

Kanza said:

Successful troll is successful, then?

Yes, he was pretty successful. Mostly since this community is made of 12 year old kids who can't control themselves.

Lasci said:

Don't sleep naked on your period, girls.

#15

MrDoom
    MrDoom

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:52 AM

Hope I'm not digging this post up too far.

I picked up a MadCatz 360  controller last week and spent a while setting things up in GlovePIE. I was wondering about the functions you used for the joystick mapping, specifically EnsureMapRange. Does this account for the slight "off-center"-ness inherent of analog controls? I'm having to account for my controller's deadzone with some fancy range setting.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of explosives.

Ditherliss said:

Everyone wants the Minecart to push itself and fly into outer space and have an attachable Microwave.

#16

Zaneo
    Zaneo

    Coal Miner

  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

It might be better to set open inventory to x, and adjust fog to select, It makes more sense based on how often each is used.
forum: http://minecraft.novylen.net
server: mc.novylen.net

#17

Cassian
    Cassian

    Gold Miner

  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

what coding language is this done with?

and how would i use a wireless 360 controller?
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18

gudenau
    gudenau

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • Location: /dev/null
  • Minecraft: gudenau

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

I love glovePIE! It is the best app for stuff like this.


Cassian said:

what coding language is this done with?

and how would i use a wireless 360 controller?
If you want a wireless controller you need this (http://www.google.co...ed=0CD0Q8wIwAg#)
Once that is hooked-up and ready you you it like a regular controller!
:P  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:
:Yellow:  :Black:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Black:  :Yellow:
:Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:
:Yellow:  :Black:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:   :Black:  :Yellow:
:Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Black:  :Black:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:
:Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:  :Yellow:

#19

gudenau
    gudenau

    Zombie Killer

  • Members
  • 227 posts
  • Location: /dev/null
  • Minecraft: gudenau

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:57 AM

met48 said:

LuciferZ said:

I'd like to program the POVhat (Dpad) so that pressing up on it will be Key.Z, left and right are Key.Enter and Key.K. I've already shifted some other things around, but the code for the POVHat confuses me a bit. Can you give me a hand?

Sure! The POVHat is actually considered an analog stick in a way - there are two variables, Pov1x and Pov1y. They have values from -1 to 1, negative being left or up, positive being right or down.

The easiest way to do this is using EnsureMapRange, like when WASD was mapped. For what you described:

Key.Z = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.Pov1y, 0,-1, 0,1)
Key.Enter = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.Pov1x, 0,-1, 0,1)
Key.K = EnsureMapRange(Joystick1.Pov1x, 0,1, 0,1)

Just a note, though - the 360 D-pad hardware is really unreliable because apparently it is an analog stick, not four buttons with a hat (like most controllers). It's generally not good for irreversible commands as a result.

EDIT: Yup, that looks right for down. Glad to hear it's working!

You can also say joystick.povhatleft joystick.povhatright joystick.povhatup and joystick.povhatdown, thay are only 1 or 0 (true or false).

#20

Manjamad
    Manjamad

    Out of the Water

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Says glovepie's account is suspended, where can i find this program?
Night Shift Super Admin
Server IP:   Jadon.ath.cx
Forum/Website: jadon-mc.net