• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Phoxly
    Phoxly

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

I'm a java programming student, and I know quite a bit about programming from college. I'm curious where I should start if I wanted to have custom NPC's. Is there an open source citizen API that I can play around with and add my own NPC types?

I'd like to have basic citizens to populate a city we are building on a server, maybe an assassins guild with quests to kill X player or kill X target.

Just looking for the right direction to go with it. I'm also hoping to keep my java-fu fresh in my mind, I figure Minecraft modding would be a good start?

Thanks in advance!

Register or log in to remove.

Chronosmith

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Look at something like EntityVillager or EntityZombie to learn how a simple biped might work, but EntityWolf or EntityEnderman would probably be the current height of mob complexity in vanilla Minecraft. If you can thoroughly learn how they work, you should have a good idea of how to program the movement and AI of most any NCP.
Check out my advanced tutorials --> HERE

Phoxly
    Phoxly

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

Thanks, the group I play with are a bunch of D&D type folks, and we built the city based on a campaign and currently use the zombies as our main antagonist in the campaign essentially. We gave them a custom skin and everything. I'll look into the entity for zombies and the villagers.

BTW if I make a custom NPC, such as those found in other plugins, does each client attached to the server need to have files to load a custom skin for that NPC? I always wondered this on plugins that support town guards on their server.

BrandonMin
  • Minecraft: PAARNG11B

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

If you make a bukkit plugin they do not need client side for a bukkit server however if you are basing it in a vanilla server you will have to port your mod to MP and they will all need it.  I have no idea about bukkit plugins but as far as porting to MP look into ModLoaderMP http://www.minecraft...-mputils-teams/

Phoxly
    Phoxly

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:48 PM

I'll probably stick with Bukkit, since atm that's what I have the most experience with, and I host the server locally on my gaming PC. Should I attempt to make my own NPC plugin for bukkit or should I use one that's already out there as a reference? Such as the Citizens plugin?

I don't really intend on making a distributable plugin, just using one for my server. I like how some out there have the ability to "place" NPC's and choose where they spawn (Admin/OP's only). It would be convenient for placing town guards.

Phoxly
    Phoxly

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Turns out the Citizens bukkit plugin comes with an API with useful methods for creating your own NPCs. :D