Latest News Article

How do you pick up TNT blocks?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

City Builder
  • Minecraft: CityBuilder

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

I created a TNT storage shed near to my home and placed some TNT blocks in there, but when I wanted to go and grab one from there and place it in my inventory, it ignited instead.  Fortunately, I was able to ALT+F4 fast enough that the explosion was not recorded to the save and the TNT shack is still standing with a lot of TNT inside.

Is there a way to collect TNT blocks that I've placed on the ground instead of igniting them?

Thanks,
Posted Image  Minecraft Schematics at: MCSchematics.com
-A community creating Minecraft (MCedit) Schematics .  Over 180,000 Members and thousands of schematics to download

Register or log in to remove.

zeroelement

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

As of yet there is no way, best way is to put them in a chest. If you need more the rare candy glitch(youtube it) will give you more.

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

Soon as you drop em you're kinda screwed unfortunately. If you want to prevent catastropic damage dig a pit carefully under the blocks and make sure water is running through it, then whack them from the bottom up, if they land in flowing water they'll still knock you back but do no damage.

Still don't get your TNT back sad to say.
That one dragon coding thingy.

Proso
    Proso

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:25 AM

Satharis said:

...if they land in flowing water they'll still knock you back but do no damage...
Wrong, Mr. Anderson.
They DO damage, at least they did some patches before (didnt used TNT much after that). Well, They wont hurt terrain, but You will die being close to TNT, they still do damage :--+:

City Builder
  • Minecraft: CityBuilder

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Satharis,

Sounds a bit risky "if they land in the water' for me.  I guess I'll just leave the TNT shack for eye candy and not place anymore inside of there.  Hopefully one day Notch will give us a way to pick back up TNT blocks.
Posted Image  Minecraft Schematics at: MCSchematics.com
-A community creating Minecraft (MCedit) Schematics .  Over 180,000 Members and thousands of schematics to download

Bilkokuya

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

If you equip yourself with diamond kit you can remove them. You just need to use your diamond sword and hit it really fast.
Posted Image

Proso
    Proso

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Troll detected. Sending task force Alpha
:obsidian:  :obsidian:  :Diamond:  :obsidian:  :Diamond:  :Diamond:

City Builder: Just water all the tnt, after You fire one, they become non-block, if they land on water of be covered with it, they wont hurt terrain.
:Diamond:  :obsidian:  :Pig:  [] []   :obsidian:  []
:obsidian:  :White:  :obsidian:  [] :White: :White: []
Wont explode, nothing where water is (even smallest branch of main stream) negates tnt/creeper explision.

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

Proso said:

Satharis said:

...if they land in flowing water they'll still knock you back but do no damage...
Wrong, Mr. Anderson.
They DO damage, at least they did some patches before (didnt used TNT much after that). Well, They wont hurt terrain, but You will die being close to TNT, they still do damage :)

No.. not wrong.. go test it, if they land in flowing water and don't block the source block they will push you back with a shockwave but not damage you or the terrain, infact you hear the damage sound to yourself but receive no damage.

City Builder said:

Thanks Satharis,

Sounds a bit risky "if they land in the water' for me.  I guess I'll just leave the TNT shack for eye candy and not place anymore inside of there.  Hopefully one day Notch will give us a way to pick back up TNT blocks.

Its the same process people use for a TNT cannon, if you want to try it a semi safe way, carefully build a trench around the bottom most sets of TNT then make sure water flows into them, the TNT will temporarily block the water but once they are active it flows through them and blocks the explosion. It can still be risky and you have to make sure only the BOTTOM most TNT detonates first, otherwise it'l explode the ones that get stuck. (Safest way to do this if you manage to make the trench without dieing is to make a little redstone detonator, just run redstone alongside the TNT and put a pressure plate at the end)

Sad to say i don't know of a safer way to do it unfortunately, the only other 'semi' safe way to do it is to place a layer of obsidian around the TNT then detonate it, but that would be a massive task.

Proso
    Proso

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

No.. not wrong.. go test it, if they land in flowing water and don't block the source block they will push you back with a shockwave but not damage you or the terrain, infact you hear the damage sound to yourself but receive no damage.
As soon as I get some tnt in hand :SSSS:

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

Okay turns out i was wrong, my mistake, TNT -can- still damage you through water, infact the same blocking rules seem to apply, if you're far enough away you take minor to no damage, which can only be two or three steps. Doesn't really change the content of my idea just make sure to back up to a safe range.

And i am sorry, i guess i never died out of 50 or so tests so i assumed a bit about the fact it damages you or not.

Proso
    Proso

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

No problem :Notch:
In armor it really seems to not harm You, especially in peacefull where this half-heart or something is healed instantly.

Good way to be safe is to build wall between You and tnt, it halfs damage, or just put top of tnt on fire and run, it works like priming, and gives additional time to run. (Probably whole tnt will be in water so I doubt redstone will work)

Fredfredbug4

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:02 PM

You can't pick up TNT once it has been placed.

The best way is to place water around it and hope for the best.
Posted Image

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

Semi-safe TNT removal:

First remove anything you have around the TNT, like your shack or whatever may catch the blocks.
Posted Image

Dig an access trench 2 deep around the blocks so you can work easier, be careful obviously.
Posted Image

After that carefully hollow out under the TNT too, if you are two blocks down and aim carefully its pretty easy to avoid hitting it. Once thats done, get a bucket and place water depending on how you need to till the area is covered. If the hole is small, one on each corner will work, if you have a bare spot in the middle place a single spring there too, make sure all ground is covered by SOME water atleast.
Posted Image

Finally, hit the blocks down two or three at a time in quick succession, make sure to run back as far as you can to avoid detonation damage, they shouldn't harm any blocks around them. Make sure to work from the bottom up as if a block gets stuck on a non-lit one they will all explode.
Posted Image

Once all the TNT is detonated, simply fill everything back in, voila, semi-safe.

Dr_Hax
    Dr_Hax

Obsidian Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 1229 posts
  • Minecraft: Windows_i7_920

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

Just use INVEdit to replace all your TNT after safely removing them.
Posted Image

Proso
    Proso

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Satharis: Situation from images can result in ricochet: A TNT will be pushed by exploded TNT, probably... But idea is good, I would suggest putting water in top of tnt pile and priming it.

Satharis
    Satharis

End Dweller

• Members
  • 6541 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:36 PM

Proso said:

Satharis: Situation from images can result in ricochet: A TNT will be pushed by exploded TNT, probably... But idea is good, I would suggest putting water in top of tnt pile and priming it.

The TNT doesn't detonate other pieces, if you read what i wrote i specifically put to hit the bottom most pieces first so they fall in the water and don't get stuck, i tested it myself on that entire pile, didn't have any problems destroying them all as i was careful.

EDIT: The detonated TNT can push the other ones around in the water but i didn't get any block damage, it was for this reason mainly i suggested you run back quite a bit after hitting a few, the blocks can fly around in the pit rather randomly.

Bilkokuya

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

Use lava instead of water. You'll lose the TNT, but it won't explode - it'll just burn.
Posted Image

Vihtic
    Vihtic

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

I really don't understand how none of you know this. To pick up TNT, you hit it once to start the fuse, then dump one bucket of water on top. This will stop the fuse and basically break the TNT so you can pick it up. The only bad part is the water goes away. (It must be a water source that hits the TNT)
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end... but not necessarily in that order."

TheOmni
    TheOmni

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

Vihtic said:

I really don't understand how none of you know this. To pick up TNT, you hit it once to start the fuse, then dump one bucket of water on top. This will stop the fuse and basically break the TNT so you can pick it up. The only bad part is the water goes away. (It must be a water source that hits the TNT)

This does not seem to work. I just tested it with individual TNT blocks three times. The water prevented physical damage to the surrounding area, but nothing would stop it from exploding.

Proso
    Proso

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Satharis said:

Proso said:

The TNT doesn't detonate other pieces, if you read what i wrote i specifically put to hit the bottom most pieces first so they fall in the water and don't get stuck, i tested it myself on that entire pile, didn't have any problems destroying them all as i was careful.

EDIT: The detonated TNT can push the other ones around in the water but i didn't get any block damage, it was for this reason mainly i suggested you run back quite a bit after hitting a few, the blocks can fly around in the pit rather randomly.

Well, it seems I are wrong, but I had lot of situations with 4+ tnt that they seemed to be pushed and create something randomly flying, nasty death bringer.

But idea to flow a water on top is still good, but than the one needs to prime the topmost tnt, and flow away b4 fail.