[1.7.x] Dragon Mounts r37 [WIP]

dragon ssp transportation riding

• Please log in to reply
5082 replies to this topic

BarracudaATA
  • Minecraft: barracuda

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

POPULAR

This is a mod that allows you to hatch previously useless dragon eggs. Once fostered and tamed, they'll be your faithful companion in all situations and, of course, can be used for a ride!

Screenshots

Some images of a tour through the sky (0.83):

Posted ImagePosted Image

Here's an image of two dragons on ground, one of them saddled (0.65):

Posted Image

They can also hover midair and look at you (0.8):

Posted Image
Posted Image

For less annoyance, dragons can be told to sit like cats and wolves by using a bone on them (0.83):
Posted Image

Changelog

r37:
  • Fixed walking animation speed for non-adult dragons.
  • Added "tame" chat command for admins to tame dragons directly.

r36:
  • Fixed another entity exception on dedicated servers.
  • Added config file option to override the entity ID of dragons.

r35:
  • Fixed entity exception on dedicated servers.

r34:
  • Added forest dragon (thanks to Venomari245 for the textures).
  • Fixed reproduction limitation and increased limit to two.
  • Fixed a server crash when changing ghost dragons to different breeds via chat commands.
  • Fixed an error when using non-global chat commands while no dragons are nearby.
  • Fixed tamed dragons with foreign owners in single player.
  • Fixed positioning errors in some situations for players mounted on dragons.
  • Fixed even more AI navigation bugs.
  • Increased minimum distance before dragons teleport to their owners.
  • Dragons no longer try to catch their owner in creative mode.
  • Dragons are now generally immune to damage from cacti.
  • Using a new rendering system for dragon egg entities that is independent to vanilla code and resources. This should fix some texture bugs when using additional mods and resource packs.
  • Using a new non-invasive method to override the vanilla dragon egg block. This should fix the block warning message after installing (There will be one more warning after updating, though. Just confirm it as usual.).

Spoiler:

Download

Note: this mod is still in beta stage and has known and unknown bugs. I'm not responsible for the possible loss of dragon eggs due to bugs. Test this mod with care!

Minecraft 1.7.x (Forge only):
Dragon Mounts r36 (direct link)

Minecraft 1.6.x (Forge only):
Dragon Mounts r36 (direct link)

Old versions: List
Java source code: List

Note: you may distribute this mod on mod databases on your own under these conditions:
  • State clearly that I made this mod. Don't play role games pretending you're me.
  • Please link back to this thread.
  • Use the adf.ly links if possible. (URL prefix: http://adf.ly/1327464/)
  • Don't modify the package using .exe installers, it's really bad practice for security reasons.

Feel free to use the source code for your own dragon mods! And please let me know about any forks of this mod you want to publish!

Side product: Notch's ImageGenerator class ported for MCP, used to unfold complex Minecraft models for texturing.

Download and installation notes:
  • Click the adf.ly links to support me in the development of my mods, but feel free to use the direct links if you're in a hurry.Posted Image
  • Move the Zip file in the "mods" directory inside your .minecraft directory.
  • Depending on the version, ModLoader or Forge is required for this mod! You'll need to install it first.
  • Don't forget to remove the old installation when updating!

Quick guide
  • To hatch a dragon egg, you'll need to find a good place for it first. If you found one, place the egg block and simply right click it. The egg will then start to hatch, which will take a while.
  • Once grown up, you can tame the dragon with raw fish. It will then follow and protect you like other pets.
  • You can command tamed dragons to lay down or stand up with the bone item.
  • To ride a tamed dragon, use a saddle on it, then right click it without holding an action item.
  • To heal injured dragons, feed it with raw fish, chicken, beef or porkchop (four hearts) or with rotten flesh (two hearts).
  • You can control the dragon with the Carrot On A Stick while riding it.

Future plans
  • (Re-)Add some sort of fire-based weapon for the dragons.

Banners

Here's something made by strazyplus for your signature if you enjoy this mod. Posted Image

Posted Image

[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/827863-/"][img]http://ata4.info/images/minecraft/dm_banner.png[/img][/url]

Alternative banner made by IceColdTiger2:

Posted Image
[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/827863-/"][img]http://ata4.info/images/minecraft/dm_banner_2.png[/img][/url]

And this here is made by THA-REALAlexandrowich:
Posted Image
[url="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/827863-/"][img]http://ata4.info/images/minecraft/dm_banner_3.png[/img][/url]

Special thanks

Installation instructions
Spoiler:

Mod reviews

My other mods
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

TheAjalin

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:59 AM

nice mod! ill try it out

billythegoat101
  • Minecraft: BILLYTG101

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:01 AM

Oh wow that's beautiful
Too bad I'm not skilled enough to reach the end >_<

but very nice!
Posted Image

NinjaXDude

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Good job i must say! :)

DjGyarados
  • Minecraft: DjGyarados
  • Xbox:Portugal IV

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

holy ­, this mod looks so ­ing amazing ! I'm going to try this right now !
Not liking how it edits so many base classes though.
Love the mod, just one suggestion though, maybe a way to stop and land ?
Posted Image

BarracudaATA

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

Well, right-clicking the dragon is currently the only way to stop and land. Animations for land movements would be nice, but are probably very difficult to implement, at least if it's supposed to look as good as flying.

And yes, it modifies some original classes, but mostly those that are related to the Ender Dragon and the egg. An upcoming Modloader version should resolve the conflicts with other mods.
Posted Image

DjGyarados

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 29 November 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

Well, right-clicking the dragon is currently the only way to stop and land. Animations for land movements would be nice, but are probably very difficult to implement, at least if it's supposed to look as good as flying.

And yes, it modifies some original classes, but mostly those that are related to the Ender Dragon and the egg. An upcoming Modloader version should resolve the conflicts with other mods.
Welcome,

For me all it would have to be is the dragon falling down to the floor, and just standing, i don't think it would have to be as nice as the flying, as long as i can put it in my backyard, it's all good :P .

Good to know there's a ModLoader version coming (:

Keep up the good work, i can guarantee this mod will become famous very soon (:
Posted Image

XGamerZation
  • Minecraft: CastleCarnivore

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

View PostDjGyarados, on 29 November 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Welcome,

For me all it would have to be is the dragon falling down to the floor, and just standing, i don't think it would have to be as nice as the flying, as long as i can put it in my backyard, it's all good :P .

Good to know there's a ModLoader version coming (:

Keep up the good work, i can guarantee this mod will become famous very soon (:
yeah its gonna be ULTRA FAMOUS!! and  +1 :D and youre backyard gonna explode lol also if you got a banner i will use it :D
Posted Image

BarracudaATA

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hehe, my expectations aren't that high. It's not something groundbreaking yet (well, game-breaking maybe :iapprove:).
Posted Image

DjGyarados

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 29 November 2011 - 03:44 PM, said:

Hehe, my expectations aren't that high. It's not something groundbreaking yet (well, game-breaking maybe :iapprove:).
Well, not many people look through the WIP section much, ( good thing i did :P ) but once you put this into the Released mods section, a lot more people will look at this. trust me.
Posted Image

XGamerZation

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

View PostDjGyarados, on 29 November 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

Well, not many people look through the WIP section much, ( good thing i did :P ) but once you put this into the Released mods section, a lot more people will look at this. trust me.
yes people dont care about WIP Mods some people care but almost millions of people will visit released mod section if you put this in the realeased mod section like many people more wil comment donwload suggest
Posted Image

EpicFailaah

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 29 November 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

u must add it to smp

BarracudaATA

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:24 AM

Well, don't expect full multiplayer support soon. It would be the griefer's dream at this stage and I share Jeb's concerns that it will stress servers a lot when several players are flying around at the same time. And, of course, it's difficult to code. ;)

But I managed to do an idle animation of Ender Dragons on ground:

Posted Image

I had to re-model and realign the legs for that, it would look very strange with the original leg proportions. :D
Now if I had any idea how to make them actually walk, then this could become indeed an interesting mod. And I need to figure out how to fold the wings, it's impossible with the current code base...

Oh, and I ported the ImageGenerator class for MCP. Notch gracefully released it earlier when he textured the dragon model. Could be useful for others that are texturing complex models:

http://pastebin.com/0YixvSer
Posted Image

XGamerZation

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 01 December 2011 - 05:24 AM, said:

Well, don't expect full multiplayer support soon. It would be the griefer's dream at this stage and I share Jeb's concerns that it will stress servers a lot when several players are flying around at the same time. And, of course, it's difficult to code. ;)

Posted Image

I had to re-model and realign the legs for that, it would look very strange with the original leg proportions. :D
Now if I had any idea how to make them actually walk, then this could become indeed an interesting mod. And I need to figure out how to fold the wings, it's impossible with the current code base...

Oh, and I ported the ImageGenerator class for MCP. Notch gracefully released it earlier when he textured the dragon model. Could be useful for others that are texturing complex models:

holy thats awesome !!!
Posted Image

theblackminecrafter

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

Good job, almost impossible for me to steer the dragon in the end, I keep on dying >.<

DjGyarados

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 01 December 2011 - 05:24 AM, said:

Posted Image

Awesome, so when's v2 coming out, and how would i be able to land ? Just fly towards the floor or ?
Posted Image

BarracudaATA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

Yes, right now you can just fly towards the ground to "land", and look up to lift off again. Not very smooth, but... it works ;)
Posted Image

DjGyarados

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:54 AM

View PostBarracudaATA, on 02 December 2011 - 01:23 AM, said:

Yes, right now you can just fly towards the ground to "land", and look up to lift off again. Not very smooth, but... it works ;)
Wait, does that mean you updated it already ? If so you should probably change the Download in the OP , cause it still says v1.
Posted Image

XGamerZation

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:32 AM

View PostDjGyarados, on 02 December 2011 - 02:54 AM, said:

Wait, does that mean you updated it already ? If so you should probably change the Download in the OP , cause it still says v1.
its still v1 updates or not cause im gonna download if its updated :D
Posted Image

BarracudaATA

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

No, not in 0.1, it's for the next version.
Posted Image