Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

DOUBLE MONSTER SPAWNER FOR XP FARM

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

RuffleBump
  • Minecraft: RuffleBump

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Okay, one more for today.  Just discovered something on our server that I thought was pretty cool.  We have 3 monster spawners that we have found and made into xp farms, you know we built a big tower that they drop down like 23 spaces so they are easy to kill and they keep spawning.  Okay, but I just found two zombie spawners that are literally 3 blocks apart, not including the 2 block area right around the spawner, but basically they are right next to each other and one block different in elevation.  So of course we are in the process of building a large xp farm and hopefully it cuts the time in half, has anyone ever seen anything like this.  Mind you, these are natural, we are running vanilla at the moment, so it is nothing we have generated.
Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

lolsasory

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

seems legit
Message me if you need art done for a mod/skin/texturepack

RuffleBump

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

View Postlolsasory, on 28 November 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

seems legit
Thanks, but I'm also wondering if anyone has every seen two spawners this close?  I have played a long time, never seen it yet.  Is it just luck, or I haven't seen it and it is more common than I think?
Posted Image

Kensei
    Kensei

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

View PostRuffleBump, on 28 November 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

Thanks, but I'm also wondering if anyone has every seen two spawners this close?  I have played a long time, never seen it yet.  Is it just luck, or I haven't seen it and it is more common than I think?

For the older enemies (Zombies, skeletons etc) these ocurrences are pretty rare, but they do happen. In my experience however, cave spider spawners have a tendency to spawn close to each other. On my server at this moment, I'm sitting in a mob trap I built around 3 cave spider spawners I found in close proximity to each other. All 3 are close enough that I'm within the 16 block limit to have all 3 spawning.

Posted Image

I can't actually show the spawners because entering the trap would be suicide. As you can see above, that built up in about a couple minutes. I can go from level 1-50 in about an hour with this trap.

RuffleBump

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

View PostKensei, on 28 November 2011 - 05:01 PM, said:

For the older enemies (Zombies, skeletons etc) these ocurrences are pretty rare, but they do happen. In my experience however, cave spider spawners have a tendency to spawn close to each other. On my server at this moment, I'm sitting in a mob trap I built around 3 cave spider spawners I found in close proximity to each other. All 3 are close enough that I'm within the 16 block limit to have all 3 spawning.

Posted Image

I can't actually show the spawners because entering the trap would be suicide. As you can see above, that built up in about a couple minutes. I can go from level 1-50 in about an hour with this trap.
That is awesome, that is what we are hoping to do.  The old single farms just aren't working as fast as they used to since 1.0 is out.  I know it won't be as much as 3 spawners, but it has to be better than one.  When I'm done I will post some pics of it.
Posted Image

funmerlin

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

View PostRuffleBump, on 28 November 2011 - 05:15 PM, said:

That is awesome, that is what we are hoping to do.  The old single farms just aren't working as fast as they used to since 1.0 is out.  I know it won't be as much as 3 spawners, but it has to be better than one.  When I'm done I will post some pics of it.
Our 1.8 map had 2 cave spider spawners about 6 squares apart as well.   We made a water trap and used it to get wool, since you couldn't breed sheep yet.  About 1/3rd tended to escape though, and needed a smacking.

RuffleBump

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

Well we finished the spawner last night, it was late, and it works extremely well.  I would make a guess that we got about 9 lvls for 7 min, my thought is that we should be able to get a good 25-30 lvls in 30-40 min.  That is acceptable to me.  I will get some screen shots up here later today.
Posted Image

MrChris_CJ

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

I have something very similar

On the server I play on, I found 2 dungeons, literally right on top of eachother, the spawners are 1 block out of alignment in terms of X and one is a few blocks above the other (the original dungeon basically bordered on the other one)

originally I made some rubbish contraption to just mob farm them, but did not understand the mechanics behind the spawners

after 1.0 and the need for experience and after watching a few youtube videos (mainly the ones by Kasper and his crazy farm)

I hollowed out the area slightly, had 2 water sources under each spawner that pushed the mobs toward a single point (both spawners are arrow skeletons) from which they go up into a water lift which then shunts them into another passage and series of water sources that push them along to a 2x1 sized shaft that drops them down. The spawners use different water lifts, but connect up top to the same shaft, the room where they drop allows you to stand within 15 blocks of each spawner so they keep spawning.

Its brutally effective, arguably the hardest part of building it was how to kill them since on a server you can't really hit the mobs legs (they seem to lag out)

so at the bottom of the shaft they land on the 2x1 platform, which has half slabs on, there is also a ring of half slabs going around the hole which basically prevents them from shooting while you are stood in the room

then you just stand back and wait and shoot them with arrows; you use up bows but meh, you get a stupendous amount of arrows anyway

although if anyone knows a good way to manually kill them, that works well on a server then I would love to know because like I said hitting them can be a bit unreliable

generally I like to leave myself in the room, then go off and browse for a bit and come back to a crazy pile of them, then spam arrows, but killing them constantly gives a good stream of XP, level 50 doesn't really take that long at all with it

RuffleBump

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

That sounds good, you gave me some new ideas with the half blocks I think I'm gonna try.  Ours is just hollowed out all the way down 23 blocks.  There is a stairwell that leads down to the bottom, you just chill out up top for as long as you want and then head down to kill them.  These are zombies, not as bad as skels, so all we do is there is an opening one block up, and one dirt block on the bottom you can break to go in and get the xp when you're done.  Basically all you do is stand at the opening and hit them with pretty much whatever you like, they die very quickly.  The floor above that runs between the two spawners(3 blocks wide) is made of glass, so you can see how many have spawned from time to time.  Like I said, I will get some screen shots today and get them up here.
Posted Image

RuffleBump

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:32 PM

Okay, as promised, here are some screen shots.
Posted Image
Kill zone down below.
Posted Image
This is the center door, the spawners are on either side of it.
Posted Image
Glass floor between the spawners so you can see the badies.
Posted Image
Stairwell leading down to the kill zone.
Hope you can see what is going on.
Posted Image

LifeGoesOn100

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

I have seen pics of these but I have never found one for myself
Posted Image

RuffleBump

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:54 AM

We have a castle right next to it that will be expanding over where it is now, so it is real nice that it is that close to where we are residing.
Posted Image

Bobler420
  • Minecraft: Bobler420

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

i like it only thing is ive built a massive spawner pad on a pvp factions servers o putting to much work into using spawner isn't the best idea since we can lose them to other factions or even be taken over losing our spot but i will try using a pot of harming :)

Posted Image

liquidmonkey

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

View PostRuffleBump, on 28 November 2011 - 04:32 PM, said:

deep in a mineshaft i found 3 spawners quite close together.
so close that it took me forever to clear them!

i like ur idea of a expFarm and will try that out eventually.

THEFID
    THEFID

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostMrChris_CJ, on 29 November 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

On the server I play on, I found 2 dungeons, literally right on top of eachother, the spawners are 1 block out of alignment in terms of X and one is a few blocks above the other (the original dungeon basically bordered on the other one)

If the two spawners are within 8 blocks of each other, their effectiveness diminishes. For example, if one spawner activates the other one will not activate if there are too many mobs within 8 blocks of it. The most efficient exp farms will pull the mobs away quickly. The ideal is 2 spawners from 16 to 30 blocks away from each other. Set up your receiving point to be within 16 blocks of BOTH spawners and build your cruncher or drop tower based from that point.