Latest News Article

Mine Little Pony skins and skin requests

• Please log in to reply
7276 replies to this topic

night_bandit
  • Minecraft: night_bandit

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

View Postfalooop, on 29 November 2012 - 03:06 AM, said:

Can somepony please make a skin of my OC?

You used a spoiler for a link!? wth!

View PostX8reaper8X, on 29 November 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

Just reposting this in case it got burried. Could somepony please make the pic below into a mlp skin.

Spoiler:
combine ezio skin + RD skin

View Postthe_amazing_murderstone, on 29 November 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

Spoiler:

is this better
no, retake the pic and upload from imgur to here.
For all of you future pony-skin creators and/or people who just want to try and make your own skin! Click Here!

Register or log in to remove.

Silentbreeze

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

View Postwaffle911, on 29 November 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

The reason she looked like a wolf-pony was not just because of how shaggy she looked, but because she looked like she had the muzzle of a wolf rather than the snuzzle of a pony (even compared to real ponies). That's more of an objective criticism of your initial portrayal than just a matter of taste. Another problem is the overall patterning on the coat; that's why he tried to reduce it to one color, he just happened to pick the wrong one.

The pink and purple in the mane clash and don't read well next to one another. They're also too saturated and vibrant, causing eye strain. The colors of her coat are far too dark and visually heavy, they obscure her overall shape, and don't provide suitable contrast with each other, all of which causes even more eye strain and makes it unpleasant to look at for very long. The white bits are another part of what made her look like a wolf pony. In trying to make her "original," you've effectively ended up with a piled-on mish-mash of everything but the kitchen sink. Granted, it's much less egregiously done here than most. But rather than an interesting character that merely stands out in the crowd, she's just another over-done OC that does more to stick out like a sore thumb, which ironically makes her just like the vast majority of poorly designed pony OCs, each one different, yet still somehow entirely unoriginal and indistinguishable from the next.

Now you might say, "Who are you all to judge?"

Well, the answer to that is on my profile page, which contains a lot of information pertaining to making MineLP skins, but especially information pertaining to good practices in original character creation. We've got quite a bit of experience under our belts in this arena.

You might also say, "Why pick on me if so many other requests here are not much better and/or worse?"

To that, it is because you are an aspiring artist. You have a lot of room to improve yet, and everything to benefit from constructive criticism and honest critique. Many others here (especially those who have to rely on Pony Creator for lack of artistic talent) do not share quite the same type of creative mindset for visual art and design, and would have little more to gain from such feedback than a slightly nicer overall OC to mess around with. You have everything to gain. That's why we're giving it to you. With time, you can and should get better. If you're willing to accept feedback, you'll get better that much more quickly. The fact that you recognized the validity of dann494's criticism of Jaybird's spots is evidence of that.

It may hurt to hear now, but what doesn't kill you now really will make you stronger later.

First of all I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write all that to me. Second of all, I'd like to address what I previously said before. The thing is, I tend to write things that come out very sassy and quite frankly rude at times. Indeed, I have 20/20 hindsight. As you can probably tell not only am I an aspiring artist, but I'm an aspiring young artist. Thirteen, to be precise. And like any other teenager, I get defensive, rather easily too. It helps, I think, to take a moment to read again and try and not see from my point of view but from an objective one.

Everything you said is true. The thing is, I'm not bad at designing(at least I like to think so) characters(pony or otherwise.) But I've always had trouble with personas/furnsonas/ponysonas whatever it is, you name it. It's probably that I try and fit to much of me into one design when it really seems I don't know me. Either that or I change my opinions much too often. They always end up cluttered and looking back, very ugly looking.

You did address some things I might be thinking, and while I didn't think them(okay, maybe the first one initially) you make valid points. For now, I'll probably scrap Jay until further notice, honestly I would have ended up throwing the design out if a week or two's time anyway.

For now, I'd like a skin of one of my characters(all of which I'm very attached too, admittedly)
Looking to get a skin of one of my other characters made me realize how little art I've actually made of them! I mean I draw them all the time in school but it seems I never do any digital art of them~
Spoiler:

Of course, I have a ton of other characters, but these are the ones I'm more attached too.

(also sorry about that snooty "someone doesn't like my art style" comments. Mhm... )

Thunderstar4
  • Minecraft: Thunderstar4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

View PostSilentbreeze, on 29 November 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

No. No she is not a wolf-pony it's just my style of art :/ Thanks.

Anyway, Well. About the design tips. The more I look at her speckles the more I dislike them. However, I will probably keep her blue parts... I mean, her name is Jaybird(its a pet name my family gave me since forever... ) and so... for her not to be blue... (even if only males are blue, technically.)

Yes. While I'll probably make her braid the same purple colors as the rest of her mane/tail I won't be getting rid of it. It's there for a reason... Not sure why I made it blue in the first place. If you can't tell, the image is a color sketch so not much thinking really went into it. The shades of purple will stay, because quite frankly I hate those shades.

Since someone doesn't like my art style, very quickly I made a more show style picture of her.
Spoiler:

I'm not as expirienced with this as Waffles is but i too have a suggestion to make. You said you wanted to make her a Jaybird style pony? Well the purples in the mane and tail don't go with the jaybird theme. Also jays are usually a light blue. Having a color scheme that includes more light blue and light gray would come off more jaybird then that purple witch reminds me of flowers. That's just my perspective. Part of the art of making an effective OC is letting go of the colors you like and using colors that suit the character and his/her personality. And usually going with more unsaturated colors will go a longer way than saturated ones. With making a character the saying 'less is more' is extremely prevalent.
Posted Image

waffle911

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

View Postthe_amazing_murderstone, on 29 November 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

Posted Image

is this better
You missed the point entirely, and you didn't read the whole post. No, it is not better. Tiny is useless. We can hardly see a damn thing because it's so small. Go back and read through the whole post, and read the whole post it links to when you get to that part.

View PostSilentbreeze, on 29 November 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

First of all I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write all that to me. Second of all, I'd like to address what I previously said before. The thing is, I tend to write things that come out very sassy and quite frankly rude at times. Indeed, I have 20/20 hindsight. As you can probably tell not only am I an aspiring artist, but I'm an aspiring young artist. Thirteen, to be precise. And like any other teenager, I get defensive, rather easily too. It helps, I think, to take a moment to read again and try and not see from my point of view but from an objective one.
Indeed, I actually find it difficult not to write half a novel when I've got something on my mind. Ironically, it's why I really hated writing essays about things I didn't care about in school; I didn't like doing it, but I always ended up writing much more than necessary. I, too, tend to write stream-of-conscious; but because of the amount of time I typically spend on writing something, my 20/20 hindsight tends to wander and re-read what I've written over and over again before I've even finished, and I tend to catch and re-write the sections I find were a bit too…impulsive when they were first written.

I was a teenager once too, not too long ago. I know all too well about getting defensive, especially about something you've invested time and effort in and want so desperately to be proud of, only to have others shoot it down no matter how valid their reasons are for doing so. I made some pretty nice background artwork for a simple side-scrolling game project when I was a bit younger. I was complimented on the quality of the artwork, but criticized for the fact it just didn't fit at all well with the intended theme of the game. Man did that burn, and you can bet I got defensive about it. That was a bit before I began to appreciate the actual value of criticism and feedback, so in that regard, you're already leaps and bounds ahead of where I was at your age.

Everything you said is true. The thing is, I'm not bad at designing (at least I like to think so) characters (pony or otherwise).
I wouldn't yet say you're good at it, but you're not necessarily bad at it either; the best assessment would be that you're simply inexperienced, and the only real way to fix that is with practice, feedback, observation, and patience. It takes all four to get better.

But I've always had trouble with personas/furnsonas/ponysonas; whatever it is, you name it. It's probably that I try and fit to much of me into one design when it really seems I don't know me. Either that or I change my opinions much too often. They always end up cluttered and looking back, very ugly looking.
Bingo. You think you know you, and to an extent, you do; the problem is, you're having trouble separating what you know of you from what you sometimes only wish you could be. Another problem is that what you wish you could be often lacks any sort of appropriate context for you to fit into, and this is what causes character designs to be entirely overdone to the point they stick out like a sore thumb. Jaybird was created in the absence of the context provided by the show. On her own, or even among the vast majority of OC's, you might not notice anything wrong with her. Place her in the middle of the market in Ponyville, and suddenly she's the walking freak-show everypony begins to circle around to stare at from a safe distance. That's the power of context.

You did address two ways I definitely might have reacted; and while I didn't actually think them at the time (okay, maybe the first one initially), you make valid points. For now, I'll probably scrap Jay until further notice, as I honestly would have ended up throwing the design out in a week or two's time anyway.
You know the only way I could have figured you out so well—for who/what you are, what you really needed to hear, and how you'd react—is if I'd been there myself.

Your confessions about how dissatisfied you end up being with many of your character designs (and the admission that you'd have scrapped Jay after so little time) is evidence enough that you have more or less the right mindset, but currently lack much of the actual understanding behind how make great characters. You can learn quite a lot just from reading the info in my profile and going through the links provided there, including the link about the very large skin request I did because of how well-designed the characters were.

You might even want to go back a few pages to when I started helping this one right here:

View PostThunderstar4, on 29 November 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

I'm not as expirienced with this as Waffles is but i too have a suggestion to make. You said you wanted to make her a Jaybird style pony? Well the purples in the mane and tail don't go with the jaybird theme. Also jays are usually a light blue. Having a color scheme that includes more light blue and light gray would come off more jaybird than that purple which reminds me of flowers. That's just my perspective. Part of the art of making an effective OC is letting go of the colors you like and using colors that suit the character and his/her personality. And usually going with more unsaturated colors will go a longer way than saturated ones. With making a character the saying 'less is more' is extremely prevalent.
You, madam, have caught on quite quickly to what I've taught you. Well done. /salute

Indeed, the design must come after establishing the character. You should never get too attached to an early character design, as professionally done characters undergo several revisions before ending up with the final design. It's crucial that the design be an accurate reflection of the character, and that it can provide the viewer with an accurate first impression of what the character would be like to encounter in person. The colors also need to be chosen to carefully represent what the character is all about. The picture should be worth a thousand words. But you should still go read my profile page to get more insight into critical core character creation concepts.
"No no no no. You no know what you want. Luigi know what you want." -Luigi, Cars
Posted Image

PrincessNightmoon
  • Minecraft: dann494
  • PSN:PrincesNightmoon

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostSilentbreeze, on 29 November 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

No. No she is not a wolf-pony it's just my style of art :/ Thanks.

Anyway, Well. About the design tips. The more I look at her speckles the more I dislike them. However, I will probably keep her blue parts... I mean, her name is Jaybird(its a pet name my family gave me since forever... ) and so... for her not to be blue... (even if only males are blue, technically.)

Yes. While I'll probably make her braid the same purple colors as the rest of her mane/tail I won't be getting rid of it. It's there for a reason... Not sure why I made it blue in the first place. If you can't tell, the image is a color sketch so not much thinking really went into it. The shades of purple will stay, because quite frankly I hate those shades.

Since someone doesn't like my art style, very quickly I made a more show style picture of her.
Spoiler:
Sorry, it's just that as soon as TheJewelKitten said "wolf-pony", that got stuck in my head. I really liked the art style, like I said, the problem was the colors.

Glad I could help for at least some of the flaws, sorry that I went with the dark grey and not the blue, I had "wolf-pony" in the back of my head the whole time, due to TheJewelKitten's comment, and the dark grey fits better for a wolf. For a jaybird-inspired color scheme, I'd go for a lighter blue, both to be more like actual jaybirds and to better fit the white.

The problem with the braids was the color clash, sticks less out now, but as I have said, the pink/magenta is doesn't mix well with the rest, and as waffle911 specified: overly saturated and vibrant. The purple is too, but not as much as the pink.

"The shades of purple will stay, because quite frankly I hate those shades." - The shades I put in? I only replaced the pink/magenta with the original's "blue" coat color, the light purple is the same as before. If you think the blue and purple colors clash, that says just as much about your own design as my recolor ;)
The reasons I chose to use those colors: 1) Not introduce any new colors - in early stages of revision, it's usually best to stick with the original colors or just small changes to the color. 2) The contrast between the two shades of purple fits with the coat's contrasting white/dark grey.

Posted Image

Enhancing your minecraft pony experience.

dragon_fire_brony

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

can somepony please make this pony for me.I can't do it because1.i'm on a mac and 2.I suck at drawing.Here is the pics
sorry it's that big.I don't know how to make it smaller
cutie mark:is a bow and a arrow.Thank you *brofist*
ps:I'm new,so forgive me for that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Emilie
    Emilie

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Minecraft: Emilielol123lal

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

View Postsupremedr, on 27 November 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

2S1H0U30004F2E15544134000013D3D00UN1A3510002000250000000FF7FFF00107F3FCC004CB2

OK someone make this pony please. (can't find attachment button) can someone also give this thing a suit?
here's a link to the pic
please make his skin:
http://imgur.com/Z3Kta

Schlutt
    Schlutt

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Minecraft: Schlutt

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

View Postwaffle911, on 28 November 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Hmm, you're right. The S2 Luna is indeed the old skin design, but S1 Luna is up to date.

Ah, that's the one I ended up using.
For ages I have been using Zuwena:
Spoiler:
The zebra filly by LordDominic
I like the cute little filly models, but was in a Luna mood for a change.
"I don't always watch cartoons for little girls, but when I do, I prefer My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic"  -Dustykatt

Biiim
    Biiim

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostBiiim, on 28 November 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

This is a simple request, but... Well, i just dont have talent for cutie marks ^-^'

You just need to put the cutie mark on it. If you make any other change, please tell me at the reply;
Spoiler:

Just put a Quill, or a Book, or anything that symbolizes literature (No letters, please).
Reposting.
"Love as a principle and order as the basis; progress as the goal"

Mine_Me_Baby

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Hay, My name is Yunnie ^-^..
I Was wondering if you could posibly make this HS skin :P

LINKIDY LINKIDY CLICK.

http://sassyfillymol...t.com/#/d5mnk7a

:>

Thank you for viewinngggg

X8reaper8X
  • Minecraft: reaper461

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

View Postnight_bandit, on 29 November 2012 - 04:36 AM, said:

You used a spoiler for a link!? wth!
combine ezio skin + RD skin
no, retake the pic and upload from imgur to here.
that sounds about right.
Posted Image

Kraigerex1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Hello. I am having trouble using the advance template but before I go any fur is it compatible with the 1.3.2 version of the Mine Little Pony Mod? (The problem that I am having is a case of a missing tail.)

night_bandit
  • Minecraft: night_bandit

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:33 AM

View PostKraigerex1, on 30 November 2012 - 02:11 AM, said:

Hello. I am having trouble using the advance template but before I go any fur is it compatible with the 1.3.2 version of the Mine Little Pony Mod? (The problem that I am having is a case of a missing tail.)
why do you have the 1.3.2 version is what i want to ask...
For all of you future pony-skin creators and/or people who just want to try and make your own skin! Click Here!

Kraigerex1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

View Postnight_bandit, on 30 November 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

why do you have the 1.3.2 version is what i want to ask...

The server that I play on hasn't updated yet. Also it appears that I can't get the tail to show up using the basic template either.

TheJewelKitten
  • Minecraft: TheJewelKitten

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

I'll see if I can do some GOOD pony OC requests. Come at me c:

waffle911

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostKraigerex1, on 30 November 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

The server that I play on hasn't updated yet. Also it appears that I can't get the tail to show up using the basic template either.
Yup, advanced template was introduced before 1.3.2. It's possible you just have the skin configured incorrectly somehow. Put the skin up on Imgur and embed it here to let us have a look at it.

View PostTheJewelKitten, on 30 November 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

I'll see if I can do some GOOD pony OC requests. Come at me c:
Alternatively, you can do as some of us have done in the past and take some not-so-good OC requests and fix their problems in the skin. That would be a better test of your skill, and gives you a much larger pool of potential requests to work from. Alternatively, I'd love to see someone tackle this one. He's been very patient and his character is very well-designed, but it is fairly complicated, even without the hat and goggles. I haven't worked up the gumption to try and do it myself, and I still have a pair of skins to finish for S0mmerR0se that I've been working some kinks out of; I just haven't gotten them quite right yet.
"No no no no. You no know what you want. Luigi know what you want." -Luigi, Cars
Posted Image

Kraigerex1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

View Postwaffle911, on 30 November 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Yup, advanced template was introduced before 1.3.2. It's possible you just have the skin configured incorrectly somehow. Put the skin up on Imgur and embed it here to let us have a look at it.

Alternatively, you can do as some of us have done in the past and take some not-so-good OC requests and fix their problems in the skin. That would be a better test of your skill, and gives you a much larger pool of potential requests to work from. Alternatively, I'd love to see someone tackle this one. He's been very patient and his character is very well-designed, but it is fairly complicated, even without the hat and goggles. I haven't worked up the gumption to try and do it myself, and I still have a pair of skins to finish for S0mmerR0se that I've been working some kinks out of; I just haven't gotten them quite right yet.

Okay well here are all that I have tried thus far w/oc included for giggles. (classic skin [first attemp])http://i.imgur.com/ki74B.png / (classic skin [second attempt]) http://imgur.com/iGz...iGzDy��/��(adv. skin) http://imgur.com/cLKZT / (oc) http://laughterislos...imgur.com/all/

waffle911

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PostKraigerex1, on 30 November 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

Okay well here are all that I have tried thus far w/oc included for giggles.
(classic skin [first attempt]) Posted Image
(classic skin [second attempt]) Posted Image
(adv. skin) Posted Image
(oc) http://laughterislos...imgur.com/all/ "laughterislosing does not have any public albums or public images. There's nothing else to see here."

Have you considered using one of the existing advanced skins in the MineLP Skin Pack as a base to work off of?
Posted Image

Kraigerex1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

View Postwaffle911, on 30 November 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

Have you considered using one of the existing advanced skins in the MineLP Skin Pack as a base to work off of?

Actually the had never crossed my mind. I shall look into it tomorrow and hopefully I will return with good news.

PrincessNightmoon
  • Minecraft: dann494
  • PSN:PrincesNightmoon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostKraigerex1, on 30 November 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

Actually the had never crossed my mind. I shall look into it tomorrow and hopefully I will return with good news.
As long as you keep using the editing program you're currently using (MS Paint?), you'll return with bad news. You need to use a program that supports transparency.

Skin Loading Stuff
If the entire  "transparency quadrant" is opaque, it won't load at all, you need at least one transparent pixel (usually, you don't want the entire hair to the opaque, as that would obscure the head completely). Skin surfaces located in the TQ: Hair/Mane, tail and stomach/horn (advanced/basic, respectively).
I recommend Paint.NET or Gimp. Personally, I use PDN, but several of the other skin artists use Gimp.

Transparency quadrant (checkerboarded insides, top right quarter of the skin)
Posted Image
Note: The colored outlines of the checkerboarded insides are part of the TQ as well.

Posted Image

Enhancing your minecraft pony experience.