Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Failed to bind to Port?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Prince_Alle
  • Minecraft: Prince_Alle

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

I didnt used to have this problem. When i  try to start up my server it says ailed to bind to port maybe its being used somewhere else? I whiped my computer clean of all minecraft and it still does it. If i type in my internal ip it works fine but people say they cant connect my external is 75.136.29.172 when i type that in on the server properties i get failed to bind to port whats up?!

Register or log in to remove.

Tspro
    Tspro

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Minecraft: Tsproggy

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

I didnt used to have this problem. When i  try to start up my server it says ailed to bind to port maybe its being used somewhere else? I whiped my computer clean of all minecraft and it still does it. If i type in my internal ip it works fine but people say they cant connect my external is 75.136.29.172 when i type that in on the server properties i get failed to bind to port whats up?!

Try using a different port, what it is doing is trying to listen on a port and if it can't it tosses you that error.

You can do this by editing your server.properties
server-port=new number //25565 is default

Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward.... - Thomas Edison

MinersUndead
  • Minecraft: MinecraftUndead

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

Try port forward.
Google "How to port forward"
Hit the green + in the bottom-right corner if I helped you.

IanIvy
    IanIvy

Carpenter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Minecraft: ianivy

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

That happened to me in my "console" when the adminstrator updated to the new Minecraft_server.jar;  tell us more.

Prince_Alle

View PostTspro, on 26 November 2011 - 09:22 PM, said:

Try using a different port, what it is doing is trying to listen on a port and if it can't it tosses you that error.
see idk what a port is! how do i use a different one and i have googled port forwarding it worked before now it dosnt theres so many people showing how to do it differently now

Tspro
    Tspro

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

see idk what a port is! how do i use a different one

Ports are kind of like a docking port, if someone wants to sail into your city and have no ports open, they can't dock anywhere! So what do you need to do? You need to open up a port! If a port is already opened but occupied then you need to specify a different port for people to use.

If you want a more technical answer:
A port is a number that your computer can use to help it send or recieve data.

The default port number for Minecraft servers is 25565, if you already have another program using this port you could maybe try hosting your server on 25566 or something instead. Just be sure to port forward(open) the port so people can join.

You can do this by editing your server.properties
server-port=new number //25565 is default

Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward.... - Thomas Edison

SeaWry
    SeaWry

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7078 posts
  • Minecraft: Flutterwry

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:23 PM, said:

see idk what a port is! how do i use a different one and i have googled port forwarding it worked before now it dosnt theres so many people showing how to do it differently now

IF it is still saying failed to bind to port, and you port forwarded 25565 correctly. Some other program on your computer is using the port 25565. If so, just change the port to something else in the server.properties text file, refer to this image to see what I mean by that, just say 25566 or so, but when you give people your IP make sure to put it like this.

0.0.0.0:25566  Else wise, Minecraft will use port 25565 and not connect to the server.

Spoiler:

Prince_Alle

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

i have changed the port to 25566 25564 and i still fail to bind

Tspro
    Tspro

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

i have changed the port to 25566 25564 and i still fail to bind

Refer to my post above as it has a link on port forwarding.

Prince_Alle

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

View PostTspro, on 26 November 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

that cost money

SeaWry
    SeaWry

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7078 posts
  • Minecraft: Flutterwry

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

View PostTspro, on 26 November 2011 - 09:34 PM, said:

Do not derp, if the server says it failed to bind to port, IT IS NOT A PORT FORWARD ISSUE.

Now with that said, try some random port, say 56654 or 3203 or something. If it still says failed to bind to port, may be a nerf up in your Firewall or so, doubt its a router/gateway/modem problem.

Tspro
    Tspro

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

that cost money

No it doesn't, you must be looking at the ads on the site or something. Here is a simple example of port forwarding:

• I go to my web browser

• type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click go

• it asks me for a username and password to login to my router

• Then I login with my specific account but yours will be different depending on if you/your family changed this. It could be default like.. username:admin password:admin, username:admin with the password as nothing, sometimes there might not even be a prompt for logging in, in which case you'd be lucky.

• Now that i'm logged in to my router I click port forwarding, I see a list of boxes where I can type numbers

• I click one of the empty boxes, put in 25565 (Minecraft port I use)

• Then I see a drop down list that says tcp, udp, tcp and udp, which is what kind of connection the port supports which I just click tcp and udp.

• After that I click save changes and close out of my browser

• I start up my server

• and happily play on my minecraft server.

View PostFlutterwry, on 26 November 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

Do not derp, if the server says it failed to bind to port, IT IS NOT A PORT FORWARD ISSUE.

Now with that said, try some random port, say 56654 or 3203 or something. If it still says failed to bind to port, may be a nerf up in your Firewall or so, doubt its a router/gateway/modem problem.

I'm merely trying to help him with a step he probably missed as he doesn't know what a port is. It is possible he doesn't have any ports open for his server either which would be the next needed step anyway.

Prince_Alle

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

firewall is off im trying alot of things when i went into my port on my linksys router i went to port range forwarding i put start 1000 end 8888 to try lots of things but it wont work im trying lots of ports. i dd exactly what you said 25565 named it minecraft clicked on both for protocool typed in 192.168.1.101, my ipv4 address, and clicked enable save continue didnt work. Tried that on rang didnt work failed tyo bind to port

Prince_Alle

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

someone try to connect maybe i cat connect with my external but i can with my internal it works fine someone join 75.136.29.172

Tspro
    Tspro

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:50 PM, said:

firewall is off im trying alot of things when i went into my port on my linksys router i went to port range forwarding i put start 1000 end 8888 to try lots of things but it wont work im trying lots of ports. i dd exactly what you said 25565 named it minecraft clicked on both for protocool typed in 192.168.1.101, my ipv4 address, and clicked enable save continue didnt work. Tried that on rang didnt work failed tyo bind to port
Well then maybe another instance of your minecraft server is running, you said you turned off your firewall, have you checked your process manager for all instances of minecraft/java? Try ending those and trying to run your server again or restart your computer.

Prince_Alle

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

View PostTspro, on 26 November 2011 - 10:00 PM, said:

Well then maybe another instance of your minecraft server is running, you said you turned off your firewall, have you checked your process manager for all instances of minecraft/java? Try ending those and trying to run your server again or restart your computer.
i have done that

Tspro
    Tspro

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 09:59 PM, said:

someone try to connect maybe i cat connect with my external but i can with my internal it works fine someone join 75.136.29.172

I connected just fine, i'm on now in fact. If you're trying to connect to yourself then do this.

Go to multiplayer
click add server
name it whatever
for the ip address type 127.0.0.1
press ok
connect to it.

Prince_Alle

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED thanks to everyone

Tspro
    Tspro

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:06 PM

View PostPrince_Alle, on 26 November 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

PROBLEM SOLVED thanks to everyone
Glad to help, have fun hosting.

cyberpwn
  • Minecraft: cyberpwn

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

that usually is caused by another entity using that port I.E. another server. just change the port, or remove the other source using that port

The best minecraft server is waiting for you.  All you have to to is go there. 64 Players, 24/7

MC.TMCU.US-- thats the ip!