iFinity
    iFinity

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Minecraft: iFinity

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

I updated my server to 1.0.0 today and when I joined to test it out it said
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?
This only happened as soon as I joined and the framerate dropped to nothing.  I couldn't move at all.  This used to happen before sometimes and I changed to Bukkit and it stopped, then it happened on Bukkit so I changed back to the normal server.  It makes the game unplayable so is there any way to fix it?

Register or log in to remove.

Royalmackk
  • Minecraft: Royalmack

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hey, just out of curiosity. Have you tried dedicating more RAM to your server and launching it without the GUI?
You Are The First To Be Touched By My Perfect Body.

RobbeeRascal

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

View PostRoyalmackk, on 26 November 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

Hey, just out of curiosity. Have you tried dedicating more RAM to your server and launching it without the GUI?

That's what I do and still have the same problem...

dsohler
    dsohler

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Minecraft: dsohler

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Specs?
Removing and copying back the program file
is not a solution for configuration problems.

zorrothefox

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

According to Jens Bergsten, Mojang employee: "This message is written when the server is unable to update the world in normal speed (20 frames per second). This is mainly due to saving and loading chunks. We're working on it...

It doesn't usually affect the server.  You might try dedicating more RAM to the server, but that probably won't eliminate the whole problem.  I have a computer whose only mission in life is to run the minecraft server, and I'm getting that message a lot less frequently since I put it into service, but it still happens every now and again.

BoomItsHarrison

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

I'm having this problem aswell, it keeps spamming the [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Thingy... I have no GUI and dedicatedd the whole lot of RAM into it and still says that! PLEASE HELP!

aidancbrady
  • Minecraft: bradyaidanc

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

how much ram do you have total?  I host a server with my friends on my macbook air (1.8 ghz, 2 gigs ram) and it gets extremely laggy and spams me after more than 5 people join.  How many people were playing when you had the problem, also?
There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle.
-Deepak Chopra

Fille
    Fille

Carpenter

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Check your CPU usage on the processor.

Most computers with dual core processors have problem running both a minecraft server and minecraft at the same time, due to the fact that they both use a lot of CPU, and if they both don't get enough CPU, they will both lagg.

My computer has dual core processor, so i moved the server to a remote computer which i use a program to remotecontrol.

Check in the activity-handler if your CPU is at 100%, and it's most likely.
Posted Image

VegBerg
    VegBerg

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Minecraft: VegBerg

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

To all of you having this problems, what OS Specifications do you have? (RAM, CPU, Graphic Card etc).

It's a common error to people with <2GB RAM and not so good processors, or if the server is doing some massive calculations, world generation etc.
Posted Image

ThisUsernameIsMine
    ThisUsernameIsMine

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

I often get this and AFAIK (for me) it has something to do with the amount of HDD read/write IO(PS) or a fragmented hard disk, since i'm getting it no matter how much RAM i reserve (while the CPU is barely used).

System-specs are as followed:

Intel Core i7-2600K
16GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
MSI R6870
2x2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 @ 5.940 rpm

Probably need to defrag or look for a 7.200 rpm drive?

SikoSoft
    SikoSoft

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

I get the same thing!

.... and I have when running a server on 1.7b and 1.8b. I'm disappointed to see its still happening in 1.0

And yeah, here are my server's specs:

CPU: Quad Core @ 3.Ghz
16 DDR3 RAM

I have tried using a ramdisk partition since I've heard it could be an I/O problem - natta - the problem persists.

I would love a proper solution. I've tried all sorts of things and nothing makes a difference.

Oh, and this is with a meager 1 or 2 people on.

I monitor my server's load vigorously; java is constantly pushing the load up. With the minecraft server running a load of 10+ is not uncommon. I've actually had my load go as high as 25.

Now surely there must be something wrong here.

Nozgo
    Nozgo

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

View PostSikoSoft, on 22 December 2011 - 09:07 PM, said:

I get the same thing!

.... and I have when running a server on 1.7b and 1.8b. I'm disappointed to see its still happening in 1.0

And yeah, here are my server's specs:

CPU: Quad Core @ 3.Ghz
16 DDR3 RAM

I have tried using a ramdisk partition since I've heard it could be an I/O problem - natta - the problem persists.

I would love a proper solution. I've tried all sorts of things and nothing makes a difference.

Oh, and this is with a meager 1 or 2 people on.

I monitor my server's load vigorously; java is constantly pushing the load up. With the minecraft server running a load of 10+ is not uncommon. I've actually had my load go as high as 25.

Now surely there must be something wrong here.

Mayhaps the amount of mods/plugin's and/or the size of 3rd party programs and the amount of work they are trying to do?

SikoSoft
    SikoSoft

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostNozgo, on 28 December 2011 - 02:42 PM, said:

Mayhaps the amount of mods/plugin's and/or the size of 3rd party programs and the amount of work they are trying to do?

Actually, I'm not even running a single mod. :( It's a complete virgin setup...

I have a sneaking suspicion about what could be the problem though now - and if what I'm thinking is correct, I'll share my findings since I know LOTS of people seem to have lag issues with the server.

I discovered the linux kernel I have installed on the Ubuntu OS is only 32 bit (as are most of the libraries). The processor is 64bit capable, so I'm thinking it may provide some benefit to re-install Ubuntu as 64 bit. I base this off of the fact that the Minecraft 1.8 client used to crash for me CONSTANTLY when running the 32 bit java. When I removed 32 bit java and installed 64 bit java, I never had a single crash again.

I'm going to try the re-installation of the OS this weekend and I'll share my findings.

lexkebuild

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

I have a bukkit server and i had the plugin world edit.I wanted to prank someone and mark two points and //set chest.
It said changed 40399 blocks.Eversince my server is SUUUPER lagy evvery hour i move 1 mm. How long would it take to load all and delete all chest???

ThisUsernameIsMine
    ThisUsernameIsMine

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything...

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

View Postlexkebuild, on 09 January 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

I have a bukkit server and i had the plugin world edit.I wanted to prank someone and mark two points and //set chest.
It said changed 40399 blocks.Eversince my server is SUUUPER lagy evvery hour i move 1 mm. How long would it take to load all and delete all chest???

Have you tried /undo (or //undo)? Or you could try to replace the chests with something else using the //set command.

Otherwise restore to a previous backup, if having any.

builderbot
  • Minecraft: thedragonflame

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Look you guys need more and more RAM. It wont work if you dont. To check, go on this website www.canihavemyminecraftserver.com
Mods are off, post ponies >:3

koeno100
    koeno100

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

builderbot, no real site???

mizatt
    mizatt

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

I have this problem as well and I don't think it has anything to do with RAM. I have 16GB and I can dedicate as much of it as I want to the process and this still happens.

p00smack
    p00smack

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I have the same issue:

Could not connect to my server from a 2nd PC. Nobody was on the server, no other programs were running on the server PC. People can connect fine, I've had up to 4 people at once. I do experience lots of lag sometimes, even with 1 person but this may be due to my internet connection.

Minecraft Server version 1.1
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Gigabyte GTX 260 1GB @ 448 bit
8GB DDR3 of RAM
- 4GB allocated to the server
Windows 7 64 bit
- 64 & 32 bit Java installed

Average Stress:
CPU Usage < 10%
Memory Usage ~ 2GB

dispereo

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

Same issue here... before I just ignored it, but since 1.2.3 my server just crashes without warning after about 20 "Can't keep up!"-messages. However with the 1.2 pre-release versions I had the msg once in a while and server never had any issues despite the warning messages. So I am not really sure what causes that. It's certainly not the hardware as it was working fine before.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
(Mark Twain)