• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

[WIP] Half life 2 map/mod

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

self_esteem_fund
  • Location: Washington, where the render distance is often set to tiny.
  • Minecraft: Self_Esteem_Fund

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image
                                             GO HERE FOR INFORMATION AND DOWNLOAD
                                                   https://sites.google...lfesteemfund11/

I need help mapping. With a new intense focus on perfect detail it is taking very long to make the maps. Anyone can help if they so wish. Contact me.

It has come to  my attention that some are disturbed by a lack of realism and recognizable parts. For that reason part 1 has been temporarily discontinued while I mcedit things into their correct size and alignment.

Future parts will still be on time and done right the first time.  
Leave a response, I read every single one. Twice.

Latest: Released part 1 on 12/16/2010
-part 2 next week
-part 3 two weeks after
  --following parts are expected in 2 week intervals
  -- there are 9 total parts

~~part one is texture and map only
~~following parts use SDK's gun and grapple mod, handheld torch mod, and Ethereal's elevator mod as well as Risu's mod loader
links respectively:
http://www.minecraft...hp?f=25&t=92206
http://www.minecraft...p?f=25&t=105332
http://www.minecraft...5&t=88517

Known issue(s) with future parts: Sound will stop upon firing the smg, and has therefore been removed. Other custom sounds for sdk's guns work fine.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's the improved readme:

HALF-CRAFT installation instructions

*NOTE THAT THIS IS ONLY PART 1 OF 9 AND THAT ONLY PART 1 WILL TAKE THIS LONG TO PRODUCE

*FUTURE VERSIONS MAY REQUIRE DIFFERENT FILES FOR INSTALLATION TO WORK CORRECTLY BUT CURRENT VERSIONS WILL ALWAYS WORK CORRECTLY WITH FUTURE INSTALLATIONS

*EACH VERSION WILL REQUIRE A DIFFERENT terrain.png DUE TO ENVIRONMENTAL VARIANCES

FOR WINDOWS

to install the base:
1. Open the minecraft.jar file in %appdata%/.minecraft/bin with winRAR or 7zip and copy the files from          'binMinecraft' into the file
2. copy the resources folder to the directory %appdata%/.minecraft

to install and run a specific part.
1. Using winRAR or 7zip open the minecraft.jar file in %appdata%/.minecraft/bin and copy the included terrain.png into it
2. Copy the world save into the directory %appdata%.minecraft/saves
3. launch and run

I can only wish to have done this alone, but these people all made it happen too(half of them also surpass my skill):

ScottyDoesKnow            
smurfton
lawligagger
GrogGuy
E rac
Rawrski
msmit71
Hurize
Derposaurus
Ethereal
Cryect
Risugami

Here are links to some of their work as well as forum and website information for Half-Craft:

SDK's Guns and grapple mod          
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92206

Cryect's Handheld torch mod
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=105332

Ethereal's Elevator mod
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=88517&hilit

Risugami's ModLoader
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=80246

Half-Craft forum thread
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=86623

Google hosted Half-Craft 2 website
https://sites.google...lfesteemfund11/
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Register or log in to remove.

pwned977
    pwned977

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

just play half life
don't try and make mincraft something it's not

Zorque
    Zorque

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:01 AM

The whole point of Minecraft is to do whatever you want in it, if he wants to recreate HL2 that sounds like a cool goal to me. Trying to restrict gameplay to your own perspective is the antithesis of everything the game is about.

self_esteem_fund

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

I'm not trying to make minecraft into something it's not, I'm trying to see if it would work to play it in a different way. The minecraft portal mod did pretty well, not too many people are complaining about that. Your response is what I would expect if I wanted minecraft to come this way stock, this is supposed to be a mod.

pwned977
    pwned977

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:14 AM

Zorque said:

The whole point of Minecraft is to do whatever you want in it, if he wants to recreate HL2 that sounds like a cool goal to me. Trying to restrict gameplay to your own perspective is the antithesis of everything the game is about.
hes wanting mods to make it like half life 2
the whole point of the game isn't to mod the shit out of it to make it into a game its not...

Zorque
    Zorque

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:24 AM

No, the point of the game is literally to do whatever you want with it. The point of playing games in general is to have fun, if turning one game into another is fun for somebody, why would you argue against them doing it?

Lawligagger

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:48 AM

We need the Cross bow, A crowbar made of iron,

noneyet77

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:50 AM

Lawligagger said:

We need the Cross bow, A crowbar made of iron,

that would be soooo sick
Posted Image

Dragondj0

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:52 AM

pwned977 said:

Zorque said:

hes wanting mods to make it like half life 2
the whole point of the game isn't to mod the shit out of it to make it into a game its not...

Looks at Warcraft III some of the custom games on that, looks at starcraft 2. I am pretty sure I remember seeing a mod that made that into a WoW deal. I could go on but I won't just don't use such flawed idealogy.

self_esteem_fund

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

I was thinking a retextured sword would work best as a crowbar, I haven't made such a thing yet, but I'm trying to get gun textures to work. If anyone has textures to submit put it in a reply and I'll start putting together an official collection. I'll also be putting up pictures of the rather impressive map as soon as I reach my home pc.

smurfton

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

For the humans, there are already humans and pigmen that you could reskin in th source code. diamond for luck. :Iron:

Icksel said:

They could make great test subjects for those of us racking our brain about how to thwart the nooby menace. You could call it 'anti-greif research'.

fusty
    fusty

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

For those of you saying this is a game that is not meant to be modded extensively I have two points.

1.  It is a sandbox game.  The game plops you down in a world and there are no mandated forms of gameplay.  It's all about being creative.  Creative survival?  Sure for some.  Creative modifications?  Definitely for some.

2.  Mods are optional.  People should not be disturbed that I installed the diamond generator mod or whatever.  YOU do not have to install it.  YOU don't even have to talk to me about it.  Just leave it alone.

If someone wants to try and introduce half life elements into minecraft, all the best of luck!  Maybe they will come up with a great idea that can be shared with the entire community.  They wouldn't come up with that idea if they were stopped form even attempting a mod.

It really comes down to this.  When you set out to make a mod, you really can't care if it will be "accepted" or not.  That kind of doubt won't foster progress.

self_esteem_fund

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

And that is why I wont stop after the first negative opinion. But I have reached the problem that I need depressed looking citizens and the only upright peaceful mobs are humans, the humans are just too excited! I the only other upright mob that isn't planned for use in something else is the normal pigmen but I don't want the citizens ganging up on you if you accidentally hurt one. How similar is the pigman AI to the zombie pigmin AI?

self_esteem_fund

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

Bump for update to version 1.01
No functional version as of this update
No submitted work as of this update
3 completed entitie textures as of this update
1 near completed terrain.png as of this update
.9 x2 completed maps (parts 1 and 2 [modular mod]) as of this update
Please comment and try to help!

Lawligagger

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

i helped contribute this mod by saying stuf Yes.

self_esteem_fund

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

More like positive feedback, which I do appreciate.
But I really need texture work and modding info.

smurfton

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:49 AM

self_esteem_fund said:

(...) I just need some way to 1: keep mobs from spawning but still have zombies. 2: replace the bow and arrow functionality to be realistic the the varies weapons used. 3: if possible have multiple weapons of this function. 4: put non aggressive humans and passive humans in place (citizens and police) and later have aggressive humans in place (soldiers). I'm thinking the police can be reskinned zombie pigmen and the soldiers can be reskinned skeletons with some way of not burning up. Please respond or pm or something!

Hi again, spiders, slimes, and creepers don't burn... maybe you could look for what they have in common that skeletons and zombies don't, or, an easier(?) route would be to make it always night (there are mods that could help with that), but give the moon the same texture as the sun, and make it much brighter. (skeletons don't burn in torchlight, after all)
The bow... make it a gun into what the skeletons are supposed to shoot... otherwise, you'd have to change skeleton's attacks.
multiple weapons of this function??? do you mean like 303's arrow mod, where you can scroll through arrow types? the humans in the source code are VERY excitable, but you could pretend that they are running away from zombies... maybe (regular, not zombie) pigmen are less excited.
I hope this helps... good luck, friend :iapprove:

Icksel said:

They could make great test subjects for those of us racking our brain about how to thwart the nooby menace. You could call it 'anti-greif research'.

self_esteem_fund

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:35 AM

I'd prefer to get non burning skeletons withiutout forever night, it would throw a monkey wrench in the whole design.  I will keep it as a back-up option just in case nothing else works. As for weapons, I figure an smg will be the only projectile weapon  until I can figure out how to change damage and fire speed/restraints in addition to adding new ones entirely. It also makes sense that it be the only soldier weapon. I've also decided that the zombie pigmen reskinned to be police will also carry reskinned golden swords to look like stunsticks.

smurfton

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:15 AM

maybe you could take the ability to collide and AI from the zombie pigmen, apply it to humans, remove the sword and ability to cause damage, and make them run away from anyone that hits them... just for fun, you could give the humans the ability to do a very weak attack, and have them do it when running away and someone gets in the way. I think that would look a lot like pinball...

Icksel said:

self_esteem_fund

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:11 AM

I don't want citizens bouncing about the streets XD
Editing the AI s also beyond my ability, not that I've tried.
What I've decided to do is remove all friendly farm animals: Pigs, cows, chickens, and sheep. What
I will then do is make mob specific spawners in locations not easily accessible by the player and have the mobs come out into the daylight into the gameplay area.This removes the players ability to come across something friendly in an  unlikely situation, the only remaining problems involving mobs is that nothing can be planned because mobs aren't kept in saves, unplanned mobs can still spawn in dark areas that might require the mood lighting, and mobs can still combust in daylight when we really, really don't want them to.

On an un-mob related note: Block durability still is an issue that needs to be fixed before alpha release, for developer version it's fine and might be included in my next update expected tomorrow. But as for a playable release I don't want to give them an to option to A: complete the objective, or B: destroy a section of wall and craft custom tools to escape the city and live in the hill sides.

In recent decisions I have decided to have tnt be retextured into a deployable tool with all the same functions of regular tnt. This will not be included in any version that does not have the issue stated above covered.