• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Ixeo
    Ixeo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

When you break glass blocks, they are deleted from the world instead of producing a pick-up. This is most likely because if you were to imagine someone breaking glass, you would know that they cannot 'pick up' the intact glass afterward.

Glass panes, however, would produce a pick-up when broken. This was, while "unrealistic", great, because you could re-position windows if you wanted to move them.

-

Now, in 1.0, neither Glass blocks or Glass Panes drop a resource when broken. They both just break. Thus, the only way to move placed glass/panes is to delete them from the world. Deleting resources from the world is (I assume) unsettling to a lot of players, especially if the resource is not renewable. (For example, new sand and new dirt cannot just be "created".)

-

I understand the glass breaks because, yes, if you pound on glass until it breaks, you aren't going to have an intact piece of glass to pick up.

Here is my argument.

If you were to pound on a chunk of ANYTHING until it breaks, you aren't going to be left with an intact block that you can pick up and carry around. Imagine a real "minecraft dirt block". If someone were to bash it until it was gone, you'd have particles left, not something you can pick up.

So please, with that argument, and especially since sand is not renewable, I believe that glass/glass panes should both drop pick-ups when destroyed, like every other block does.

Register or log in to remove.

ry4444n
    ry4444n

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

maybe drop glass shards that we have to cook up into glass again.

also, sand and dirt can be created, just travel somewhere you haven't been yet- i doubt you've generated 5% of the total space available to you

Ixeo
    Ixeo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:21 PM

View Postry4444n, on 23 November 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

also, sand and dirt can be created, just travel somewhere you haven't been yet- i doubt you've generated 5% of the total space available to you

That's an idea, and would be similar to mining stone = cobblestone --> cook back into stone. I do think just letting us pick up the block when breaking it would be simpler though.

And yes, all resources are "infinite" because you can generate new chunks - in this sense, diamond ore is infinite. That's not what I meant though. You can create new wood, and new stone, and new water source blocks from "nothing". There is no way to just create sand normally, in that sense. So it's a bit harsh to make the main items built from sand, glass and glass panes, only delete when broken and be non-pick-up-able.

Hyomoto
    Hyomoto

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 460 posts
  • Minecraft: Hyomoto

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Your argument is invalidated by its own bias towards a single instance.  If glass produces a drop, then why shouldn't other conditions which can lead to the removal of blocks from the world such as fire, lava and explosions, do the same?  Via your proposed logic, Creepers (or at least explosions) should also be nerfed as to prevent blocks from being removed from the world.  Whether you believe it or not, your logic also suggests tools should not be breakable as their creation too removes blocks from the world.

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, your argument is flimsy.  You've decided it is inconvenient to make new glass when you break windows, and therefore the blocks should produce a drop.  Nothing more.  I respect your suggestion as it is your own opinion, I just do not think you've put nearly enough thought into it and how it actually relates to the game and its present mechanics.  Glass shards is a reasonable alternative since there is already a precedent for this behavior via glowstone.  However, beyond major revisions to a structure (to which this argument doesn't really support either), the only annoyance that can come from this is an uncertainty of where you want to place your glass, a situation quickly remedied by adding it last, once you've decided where it will go.

Mind you, a suggestion is a suggestion.  I reiterate, I just do not think you've put as much thought into your suggestion as you ought.

DoomFire
    DoomFire

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Minecraft: DoomFire

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

Death The Kid <3

On topic: Cant you use SilkTouch to get glass back?

And if not then theres lots of sand in minecraft. just make more :)

Posted Image
Magic Chest Mod - Wood On Steroids.
"Will you be eating that cake?...
Say what you want, but I will be taking the cake."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

yuyuhakushi
  • Minecraft: nicocjc

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

yea, sand is pretty darn abundant... resource collection is all about the taking of something and using it somewhere else.
I think there are also infinite sand and gravel grinders available out there...

< Posted Image >

help me or die inside

Cake101
    Cake101

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostDoomFire, on 23 November 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

Death The Kid <3

On topic: Cant you use SilkTouch to get glass back?

And if not then theres lots of sand in minecraft. just make more :)

SILK TOUCH IS REMOVED BRO
Posted Image

quinn50
    quinn50

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

View PostCake101, on 23 November 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

no its not

btw you should have post this thread  back when glass first put in in survival
Posted Image

SILLYJIMMY5

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

I agree with what Hyomoto said. There are so much other things in the game that destroy blocks. By your logic creepers should be removed.

Also:

View PostCake101, on 23 November 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

wut?
Then who was phone.

Ixeo
    Ixeo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:33 AM

View PostHyomoto, on 23 November 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

Your argument is invalidated by its own bias towards a single instance.  If glass produces a drop, then why shouldn't other conditions which can lead to the removal of blocks from the world such as fire, lava and explosions, do the same?  Via your proposed logic, Creepers (or at least explosions) should also be nerfed as to prevent blocks from being removed from the world.  Whether you believe it or not, your logic also suggests tools should not be breakable as their creation too removes blocks from the world.

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, your argument is flimsy.  You've decided it is inconvenient to make new glass when you break windows, and therefore the blocks should produce a drop.  Nothing more.  I respect your suggestion as it is your own opinion, I just do not think you've put nearly enough thought into it and how it actually relates to the game and its present mechanics.  Glass shards is a reasonable alternative since there is already a precedent for this behavior via glowstone.  However, beyond major revisions to a structure (to which this argument doesn't really support either), the only annoyance that can come from this is an uncertainty of where you want to place your glass, a situation quickly remedied by adding it last, once you've decided where it will go.

Mind you, a suggestion is a suggestion.  I reiterate, I just do not think you've put as much thought into your suggestion as you ought.

Creepers? What?? Whoa!

Folks, making glass drop a pickup on destruction has no negative side effect; I am not sure why you go so far to try and 'prove me wrong' :)

When you beat something with your hand in the game, it produces a pickup of that block, in it's intact form. I don't see why glass should be different.

Exceptions to the rule are when you should need a specific tool to remove that object, such as shears for "carefully" removing leaves and pickaxes for mining stone. If you just bash the leaves with your hand or a sword, you destroy it - I get that.

Going out of the way to program a new tool would be silly, but, I would not disagree with allowing "an existing tool" to be the only way to safely remove glass/windows. (Problem is: there isn't one I can think of that would make sense.)

As far as I know, glass and windows are the ONLY building material in minecraft that one would use to build a normal structure, that you cannot EVER move. You could, in theory, move an entire castle made of wood and stone, violently tearing up the walls with picks and the wood floors with axes, punching all the paintings and beds and treasure chests, and relocate the entire castle without losing a single resource - except for glass.

I hope you see the awkward inconsistency here! :)

Rain71
    Rain71

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Minecraft: Rain71

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

View Postry4444n, on 23 November 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

I agree, except instead of "cooking" it, you need 4 (2x2) to make a glass pane and 3x3 to make a glass block? Oh well, just an idea.

Posted Image

Zaryan
    Zaryan

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1437 posts
  • Minecraft: Zaryan

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

Well the fact that they make a shattering sound upon breaking worries me a little. It was cool how glass panes originally could be reused, but they do make a shattering sound, so how could they be reused realistically?
I like to give +1's out to the grammatically inclined.Also if you want me to reply to you, quote me.

View Postblaster, on 04 December 2011 - 10:37 PM, said:

Grab a mug of bacon and sit down.

Spaceboot1

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Here's a better suggestion: broken glass blocks and panes drop sand blocks. That way you don't lose the resource, you just have to furnace it again.

As an added bonus, crafting sand into glass panes would technically allow you to create infinite sand. All at the cost of tons of coal, of course.
I think you are going to love my Survival Let's Play series on YouTube! It's called Spaceboot1's Garden. I make pretty things.

Want to play Minecraft SSP like Spaceboot1? Try my modpack, all mods made by me, Spaceboot1!

Xintron
    Xintron

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

View PostHyomoto, on 23 November 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

Whether you are willing to admit it or not, you are making a vain attempt to prove yourself cool at the expense of OP. All of which you stated is false; I know this because past the first sentence I could not decipher the jargon that you turned the English language into.

Ixeo had a very valid point, and the second suggestion of recooking glass shards is an excellent proposal. You however, had nothing positive to suggest, so in essence you were just bashing OP.

Until you are ready to contribute something positive to the discussion at hand I will please ask you nicely to refrain from trolling.

Ixeo
    Ixeo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

View PostZaryan, on 24 November 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

Well the fact that they make a shattering sound upon breaking worries me a little. It was cool how glass panes originally could be reused, but they do make a shattering sound, so how could they be reused realistically?

True!- I do not wish the glass break sound to be changed. But, thing is, all blocks make a *pop*/destroy sound when you hit them with the "killing blow". :)

View PostSpaceboot1, on 24 November 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

Here's a better suggestion: broken glass blocks and panes drop sand blocks. That way you don't lose the resource, you just have to furnace it again.

As an added bonus, crafting sand into glass panes would technically allow you to create infinite sand. All at the cost of tons of coal, of course.

I'd be ok with this. It's be a little weird, but I'd be ok with it. I'd either have this, glass shards dropping (which you cook back into glass), or the simplest: dropping the block pickup. Anything that keeps the actual resources there for use.

--

Btw, all what I meant about "renewable resource"?

- All blocks are technically infinite because you can wander in any direction and generate new chunks...With this said, diamond ore is "infinite"

- However, some resources are *renewable* as in, in a limited area you may have infinite of X resource if you set it up right.
   * For example you can CREATE infinite Cobblestone by setting up lava and water source blocks.
   * You can CREATE infinite Water source blocks by setting them up right.
   * You can CREATE infinite Wood or Tree trunk blocks by planting trees over and over, since saplings are infinite too

- Dirt and sand, for example, are actually Non-renewable :<