Latest News Article

Millenaire Building Editor - v1.03

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

BloodyRain2k
  • Location: times I broke MineOS: often enough to stop counting now oô
  • Xbox:sucks

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

Since I've already made the BC Template Manager I remade it also into one for Millenaire buildings since they are nearly working the same way my BCTM image import/export worked.

It's a simple editor to create and edit Millenaire building templates.

Important:

To be safe keep backups of what you edit, that applies not only to this 3rd party tool but all, you NEVER know where a bug may lurk that could ruin everything.

Since it's written in VC#2008 you need to install .Net 2.0 in order to run it
(for the few that would know, it would have been .Net 3.5 but that's over 200mb so I set it to 2.0 which is just 25mb)

You should be able to get it here: http://www.microsoft...tion.aspx?id=19
64-bit users may want this instead: http://www.microsoft...on.aspx?id=6523
(why is 64-bit nearly twice as big as 32-bit? XD)

Here's the link to the program itself: v1.03 - http://www.mediafire...sgdybkb5kuwxll1

Older:

If you're also for some reason not using MC in the default folder (AppData\.minecraft) then you can specify your millenaire folder this way:
create a settings.xml next to the exe and write this into it:
<settings>
<setting name="path" value="D:\blub"/>
</settings>
Where "D:\blub" is the path of your millenaire folder. The "" are only important if your path contains spaces but it wouldn't hurt to add them either way. Since it's xml it should also work as one liner.

Changelog:

Spoiler:

About errors you may encounter and how you can help me:

First off you'll mostlikely receive the .Net error dialog, it looks like this (yeah I know it's not from this editor)
Posted Image
The best thing would be that you click on "Details" and click into the lower field, press ctrl + a to select everything, press then ctrl + c to copy it and then post it here, best inside a [ spoiler ] to keep it clean. (without the spaces)
Also tell me what you did or were trying to do, that can speed up finding the source as the error mostly tells me where it happened, but not everytime how.

Here is a nice example how a helpful error report looks http://www.minecraft...ost&pid=9130298 (yeah I know it's not from this editor too)

If you just write "I haz a errorz" you'll just get ignored so don't do that.

How to use it:

Posted Image

You'll be able to see every layer of a template from the top. Layer 0 will always be the bottom.

The status bar at the bottom shows various information like the coordinates you're hovering over and the blocktype at that position.
The coordinates are upper left oriented like in most image editing programs so the first pixel in the upper left corner is 0,0.

The red border is the add and remove area.
So how does it work? Simple, left clicking into this area will expand the template into that direction. Shrinking works the same but with right click.
Be careful though, you can't undo that. I didn't add that since it's a matter of one or two seconds to repair that, unless you changed the layers already. Neither way is your template in danger, it only applies your changed when you click Save.

Left clicking on a block changes it to the currently active one (shown next to the coordinates) and right clicking selects the one you're hovering over as the current one. Middle click removes a block (sets it to 0,0,0,0).

The mousewheel changes the layer if you use it while you hover over the layer area (this also applies changes made to the layersize to all layers)

If you got a 5 button mouse you can also switch between available upgrades of a building (it's the same as clicking the <- / -> Upgrade buttons in the menu, but depending on your mouse or taste it could be that you find the direction reverse)

So now about the buttons and lists:
The first list contains the layers of the template. Layer 0 will be at the bottom and is the lowest layer of the template. One thing you should know is that expanding or shrinking the current layer doesn't affect the others until you change the actual layer, so if you shrunk it by mistake expand it again and repair it, you only have to fix that layer then.
If you shrink it and switch all layers will be shrunk so you'll have more to repair then if you made a mistake.

You can also hold down left to select multiple layers for copying or ctrl + click the ones you want to be selected.
Also be aware that while you can copy layers with gaps between them they will get pasted right after each other.

The Add Above button adds a new layer either at the top of the template, if no layer is selected, or above the selected layer(s) and selects that new layer.
The Add Below button does the same but at the bottom or below the selected layer(s).
The Remove button removes the selected layer(s).

The second list is the list of known blocktypes, the two None at the top are the program's own ones which are used to turn black into transparent and mark it as None in the statusbar, otherwise it would be Unknown.

Since the list is long there's the search bar which focuses and selects all present text upon moving the mouse over it to hopefully ease quick searching. Be advised that the lists and the layer area also take the focus if you just hover over them, this is to make the mousewheel work for them.

The way it works is plain simple, it lists all types that contain what you enter and it's case-sensitive, so if you enter E you won't find anything since there are no capital letters yet. I may remove the case-sensitivity if I find it not useful anymore but for now I have maybe an own blockname list planned that replaces blocknames with friendlier to read ones like adding spaces and a capital letter for each word like "Wooden Stairs Left" or etc.

The Data Editor:

Posted Image

To make editing a buildings info the Data Editor was added. To open it simply click the Data menu button after loading or creating a building, it will then load the building's txt and present it in a tree view.

Each root node represents an upgrade of the building (or a line if you look into the file with a normal text editor).

It adds one upgrade for each X.png of that building it can find, so if you got 0-9 you'll get 10 upgrades in that view, where 0 is always named Base.

To edit a value simply double click it or right-click -> Edit. That will open the small dialog on the screen, left is the property, right the value.
The property list is populate from a list I got from running an internal scan function which's off by default since I hardcoded what that gave me back.
It's a text dropdown combo box so you can enter whatever you want as property for the case there's something that's not in the list.
Closing the dialog will save the changes, if you want to discard them close it with ESC.

For adding a property simply right-click an upgrade or one of it's properties and select Add, that will open the same dialog but with empty fields, upon closing that dialog it will add that property with the value you entered although it tries to not add empty pairs. (but I forgot to test that...)

To remove a property simply right-click it and select remove. Removing and Edit are disabled for upgrade nodes since they aren't to be edited that way.

You can also ignore the width and length of the building, upon clicking Save in the menu it will update these two on it's own. Or create a building info with just that info if the file's not existant upon saving.

TODO:

Spoiler:

PS: if you find things that refer to the BC TM sorry, I'm too lazy to rewrite all this from scratch if they are so identical so I just copied most over. Just point it out and I'll fix it.
Same goes for stuff that you wanna know and isn't mentioned.
Posted Image

View PostEloraam, on 28 August 2011 - 02:47 AM, said:

Logs or it didn't happen.

Register or log in to remove.

Zalom
    Zalom

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Minecraft: Zalom

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Awesome! Time to make HUUUUUGEEE buildings >=)
Posted Image ~Darkness. My only passion.~

BloodyRain2k

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

View PostZalom, on 18 November 2011 - 08:43 AM, said:

Awesome! Time to make HUUUUUGEEE buildings >=)
You don't happen to know the fastest way to test what a made building looks like ingame? I haven't tested the made files yet nor my first creation : /
That part's built purely theoretical...

Also don't make them too large, if ML has limitations I'm not aware of them and therefore the editor neither :3
Posted Image

Grr Moo Gamer

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

Ok im getting this to test it out but how can I use this to create my own buildings for a new culture I want to add?

Also, any chance you could make it where once I am done making my building, I just need a few button clicks to save it in the right spot so that Mill' will find/use it? I guess kind of like a 'new culture' or 'add building' button,
in fact how about a whole Culture Creator or something with maybe starter templates or something?

Anywho, keep up the good work!
Posted Image [SSSS]

BloodyRain2k

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

View PostGrr Moo Gamer, on 22 November 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

Ok im getting this to test it out but how can I use this to create my own buildings for a new culture I want to add?

Also, any chance you could make it where once I am done making my building, I just need a few button clicks to save it in the right spot so that Mill' will find/use it? I guess kind of like a 'new culture' or 'add building' button,
in fact how about a whole Culture Creator or something with maybe starter templates or something?

Anywho, keep up the good work!
About how to use the files that the editor makes you better ask in the ML thread, I don't really know that, just how the building png's are built.

Also I'm aware that it shouldn't save into the main but instead into the custom folders. I'm still trying to figure out a good way.
I guess for the next version it'll go into the culture's custom sub folder, like "millenaire-custom\cultures\norman" and maybe as deep as the previous path fits.
Currently I don't know much about the structure and other files anyways but if I can get to understand them I'll mostlikely widen what you can edit, it may end up as a full ML Editor.

I don't even know if I'd have to place my two customized vanilla buildings into the folder "buildings" (which I'd have create first) or "custom buildings".
Posted Image

Avskygod0
    Avskygod0

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1009 posts
  • Minecraft: Avskygod0

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Nice! This needs more attention!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Mac1976
    Mac1976

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hello,

First of all, this is a great application.

Now to my problem.

I have added to an existing building a new extension, in my example, the "Norman Fort"

At the start of "Minecraft" now this error message
Spoiler:
and then Minecraft is finished.

As far as I understand the message will be the wrong place at the specified color value. The editor will be displayed at other sites as well as value "Unknown".

I use Minecraft 1.2.3 and Millenair 2.4.4, has been since the creation of the editor, the BlockType list changed

I hope you can help me here

Ronessmagic
  • Minecraft: ronessmagic

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

Can you post some custom building on here plz?

Wyr3d
    Wyr3d

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'm kinda new to Minecraft in general, so I'm prolly gonna ask a noob question but:

How do I edit just the contents of a chest in a building already in the game? There's one ruin from Millenaire 3.0.0.r3 that has two chests that are always empty. I'd like to change this so they have random chance for a little free stuff at least - just to make it worthwhile digging them out :/

The building is: "sandblasted" and used to be a saray (which for some reason seems to be removed from this version, along with all other active Hindi lone buildings D:
Posted Image

Avskygod0
    Avskygod0

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1009 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

-snip-
Posted Image

Posted Image

Avskygod0
    Avskygod0

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1009 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Installed .net framework and did the stuff,for some reason it fails to launch says "dumb idiot windows found error"
Posted Image

Posted Image

Hindarion
  • Minecraft: Melandros

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Is there an update possible? I just get 'Millenaire building Editor has stopped working' after I tried to run it.

Posted Image