Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How To Build A Medieval Home - 30+ Pics

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

xRILLIANx

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hey guys,

Rillian here! As per request, I have created this tutorial to show you how I build most of my homes in my medieval town, which you can view here or by clicking the link in my signature. This is my first tutorial, so please go a bit easy on me. The texture pack I'm using is DokuCraft, The Saga Continues: Light [Click Here] Anyway, on to the tutorial!

Materials:
Posted Image
Wooden Logs - 125
White Wool - 74
Wooden Stairs - 116
Wooden Planks - 84
Glass Panes - 22
Stone Bricks - 46
Stone Brick Slabs - 5
Stone Brick Stairs - 8
Netherrack - 1
Door - 1
Torches 5

Step 1:
Posted Image
Clear a flat space in the shape of a 7x9 box.

Step 2:
Posted Image
Lay out logs and white wool in the above pattern.

Step 3:
Posted Image
Expand the logs and white wool for a total of 3 high. Make sure to leave space for windows in the white wool.

Step 4:
Posted Image
Fill in the spaces in the wool with glass panes.

Step 5:
Posted Image
Lay out the wooden floor in the above pattern.

Step 6:
Posted Image
Lay out the beginnings of the fireplace: a 3x3 square of Stone Bricks, with the bottom-middle square being a Stone Brick Slab. Make sure that the middle of the square is empty, with space in the bottom for Netherrack, which we'll add later.

Step 7:
Posted Image
Continue the fireplace, by adding another layer of Stone Bricks, but only on the first two rows, as seen in the above picture.

Step 8:
Posted Image
At the back row, add one Stone Brick in the middle, and a Stone Brick Stair piece on either side of it.

Step 9:
Posted Image
Add a Stone Brick on both sides of the middle row, and repeat Step 8 for the front row.

Step 10:
Posted Image
Start on the second floor by adding your layer of Wooden Logs. Make sure to have them jetty out from the first floor on all but the back sides, as seen in the above picture. Also, add a layer of stone bricks in the pattern seen above.

Step 11:
Posted Image
Lay your second wooden floor, leaving a four-block hole where the stairs will go.

Step 12:
Posted Image
Expand your logs and wool in the pattern seen above.

Step 13:
Posted Image
Cut out holes for the windows. Above is the front view.

Posted Image
And above is the side view.

Step 14:
Posted Image
Replace the holes in the wool with glass.

Step 15:
Posted Image
Make your second-floor fireplace using the pattern seen above: a 2x3 Rectangle in front with a hole in the middle; behind it, another 2x3 Rectangle, and behind that, one Stone Brick.

Step 16:
Posted Image
Make the cross seen in the above picture on the fireplace.

Step 17:
Posted Image
Make these arches with Wooden Logs and Wool on either side of your house, as seen above.

Step 18:
Posted Image
Bring the cross on your fireplace up by 2 blocks, forming the chimney.

Step 19:
Posted Image
Make your roof using Wooden Stairs, covering the arches, with overhangs, and make sure to come right in to the chimney.

Step 20:
Posted Image
Top the Stone Brick blocks with Stone Brick Stairs, as seen above.

Step 21:
Posted Image
Place Stone Brick Slabs on top of the Stone Brick Stair pieces.

Step 22:
Posted Image
Place a Stone Brick block on the inside of your chimney, and a torch on top of it for lighting.

Step 23:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Here's our fireplace on the first floor. Place Netherrack in the hole in the middle, and light it using flint and steel. If you followed the steps correctly, the house will not catch fire.

Step 24:
Posted Image
Create your stairs ascending from the first floor to the second floor in the pattern above.

Step 25:
Posted Image
Use your other four torches to line the inside tops of the roof on either side in the second floor for lighting, as seen above.

Step 26:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Add the door in front and look at your new house! This is the daytime and nighttime view.

---------------------------------
Decoration:

First Floor:

A Kitchen:
Posted Image
Use Three Stone Bricks and a Furnace to make a small kitchen. No Refrigerators! Remember, this is medieval.

A Dining Table:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Dig two blocks down and place a Redstone Torch.
Then, place a Piston for a table.
Around that, place two Wooden Stairs for chairs.

A Sitting Chair:
Posted Image
Place a Wooden Stair block for a chair, and then place two signs on either side for armrests.

A Rug:
Posted Image
Place Two colors of Wool blocks in the floor in any pattern. I used Red and Dark Grey.

Second Floor:

Bed and Endtables:
Posted Image
Place two Beds next to each other. Then place a Crafting Table on either side.

Chests:
Posted Image
Place a Large Chest on the floor. For aesthetical purposes, place one more on top of that. Please note that if you place the smaller Chest on top, the bottom Chest will be inaccessable.

Bookshelves:
Posted Image
If you want, place some Bookshelves for aesthetics.

Another small table:
Posted Image
This is made using a Fence block with a Wooden Pressure Plate on top. Then surround it with two Wooden Stairs for seating.

Outside:

Small Pillars:
Posted Image
Simply place Fence blocks at each corner of the house for added "support," which is purely aesthetical.

Flower Boxes:
Posted Image
To make these, place two dirt blocks outside the windows. Then place Flowers on top of them. Then surround all sides of the dirt blocks with Trapdoors.

---------------------------------

So thanks everybody for taking a look at this long tutorial! I hope you enjoyed viewing it as much as I enjoyed making it! Please leave feedback, appreciation, critique or anything else below.

Register or log in to remove.

Zahnradfee
  • Minecraft: Zahnradfee

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

It's great!

I like your ideas and the design of the house. Very cosy yet everything neccessary is included. And the white-and-brown outside looks very pretty.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Another little idea: You can also add a cauldron to the kitchen as a water basin.
Posted Image

xRILLIANx

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

View PostZahnradfee, on 13 November 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

It's great!

I like your ideas and the design of the house. Very cosy yet everything neccessary is included. And the white-and-brown outside looks very pretty.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

Another little idea: You can also add a couldron to the kitchen as a water basin.

I could, yeah. However, I'm playing on 1.8. I'm waiting for the full release of 1.9 to play it.

OMGChase
    OMGChase

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

This is so awesome! thanks for sharing

estherbunny

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Wow! I think you really put a LOT of work into this. I think i am going to try it!  :D
I hope to see more! :D
I AM A NINJA!!! I AM QUIET!!!!

Posted Image

dancinghoboman

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

It's great a lovely looking house with everything you need
Posted Image

Jimaras101

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for sharing this tutorial , its awesome :D
Posted Image

Obsidian_12198
  • Minecraft: Relapze12198

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

Sick this is the best home ive ever made thanks to you lol. Hope you make more and post a demonstration soon!
Very Helpful!
Posted Image

Madders
    Madders

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Minecraft: Lucky_Liam

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

The thing I love about this design is that it is not only efficient, but it is also adaptable and customisable! This means that there won't be millions of the same house knocking about, but variations of the same blueprint!
Great tutorial; you should definitely make more to meet the popular demand ;)
Posted Image
My Newly Started Blog On The Annoyances Of Life : http://thoselittlean...s.blogspot.com/

Koragi85
  • Minecraft: Koragi85

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:50 AM

Wow! I love the design! Simple and functional!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Genavie
    Genavie

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Minecraft: foolishpyrite

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

I just wanted to say I built one of my own (with blue wool, since I use Dokucarft High and everything is blue anyways). It's wonderful! Very clear, easy to follow tourtial. Thank-you!

Posted Image

xRILLIANx

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

View PostGenavie, on 17 January 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

I just wanted to say I built one of my own (with blue wool, since I use Dokucarft High and everything is blue anyways). It's wonderful! Very clear, easy to follow tourtial. Thank-you!

-snip-

That looks really cool! I personally would have gone with white to simulate pargetting, but awesome job! I like the torches on the door; did you use darker wood for the timber framing? Nice job!

Arcchen
    Arcchen

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1621 posts
  • Minecraft: Arcchen

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Took damn long enough for somebody to realize all of the other house tutorials are mediocre.

xRILLIANx

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostArcchen, on 17 January 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Took damn long enough for somebody to realize all of the other house tutorials are mediocre.

Ha, thanks mate! I do try! C:

Mjohlnir
  • Minecraft: CarlThebeaver

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

Im confused about on whether or not the back of the second floor should stick out...
Posted Image

xRILLIANx

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

View PostMjohlnir, on 18 January 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

Im confused about on whether or not the back of the second floor should stick out...

It doesn't have to if you don't want it. I was going for a timber-framed house, which were generaly jettied (jettying being the process of making the higher floor(s) stick out from the bottom floor). But honestly, you can do whatever you like.

Krakenoint
  • Minecraft: corpralsharp

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

Thank you for this, I've just built it on my survival map, a great building without a high cost in materials.
IGN: corpralsharp

xRILLIANx

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

No problem mate!

Fergiedaboss
  • Minecraft: Baku2000

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

very nice 8diamonds

:Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond: :Diamond:
Posted Image

DJ4TC
    DJ4TC