rfw collection thungon hidden redemption

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Thungon217
  • Minecraft: Thungon

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

Thungon's Race for Wool Collection
Posted Image
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News Section:

Attention: All of these maps are balanced and recommended for minecraft v1.5. An update to Slippery Slope and Divided Together will be coming soon*.

The two more fun, more balanced, and generally better maps are #3 and #4. I'd recommend those two over the first and the second.

*Valve time

Series Trailer for v2.0 -

Full changelog: http://www.reddit.co...ly_here/c7jjc5g

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

General Section:

The Race for Wool map genre is a subgenre of Complete the Monument type maps. In Complete the Monument maps, the goal is to hunt down chests filled with colored wool, to fill the Monument with every color, with general survival-style gameplay (as opposed to adventure map gameplay). The subgenre of Complete the monument, and the focus of this series, are the Race for Wool maps. In these, the CTM concept is taken to the competitive multiplayer level, where two teams race to gather three different wool before the other team does so. Each team takes a mirrored lane, for fairness, and does all they can to get the wool, besides crafting of course.

The goal of this Series is to create RFW maps that offer unique obstacles and challenges for each team, in between each map within the series and RFW maps by other authors. In addition, my personal mission is to place a heavy importance on Aesthetics and Attention to Detail, with the actual gameplay involved. You won't find solid walls of the same material, but rather extraneous detail that adds character to the entire map.

Creation of the first map began after team 4200G and JEDS faced each other in Vechs' RFW #2, and I realized that it was something I would have fun building myself. Special shoutout goes to Aro for helping playtest and showing a lot of support!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Suggested rules for playing these maps:

1) Make team agreements beforehand: This ranges from who is on which team, and which half of the map each team will race on. It also includes rules regarding tnt cannons, wool boxes, etc. Basically the general etiquette of gameplay, decided beforehand.

2) Stay in your lane: Lanes are clearly labeled with glass above everywhere the team is allowed to go to. Leaving the lane during gameplay requires throwing yourself into the void (suicide) with all held items at the time of entering the lane, and without editing any blocks around before doing so.

3) Self explanatory: Do not craft and/or dye wools to use on the monument. Only use the wools found in specific chests throughout the map itself to complete your monument. They are in glass enclosed rooms, with obsidian framework.

4) Play fair, be cool. =)

Map #1: Split Decision
(v1.0 compl. Nov. 12, 2011)

Pics, Trailer, & Map:

Spoiler:

Description: Linear Branching, Heavy PvE, Little PvP
Recommended Players: 4 per team
Direct Download (v2.0, December 18th 2012): http://www.mediafire...df1fyzejy6447fl

Map #2: Closing Darkness
(v1.0 compl. Nov. 28, 2011)

Pics, Trailer, & Map:

Spoiler:

Style: Linear Branching, Heavy Environment, Medium PVP
Direct Download (v2.0, December 18th 2012):  http://www.mediafire...yrg61gx2ykdands

Map #3: Divided Together
(v1.0 compl. Dec. 25th, 2011)

Pics, Trailer, & Map:

Spoiler:

Style: Linear Branching, Little Environment, Heavy PVP
Direct Download (v2.0, December 18th 2012):

Private v2.1A: http://www.mediafire...pxr1aopqc74ptvo
'Messier' bridges, imbalanced play, but original version of the map.

Public v2.1B: http://www.mediafire...7jaytxu3dnz45d
This is the version used in Champions of the Map! This is also the recommended version to play, especially if you're playing it for the first time.

Map #4: Slippery Slope
(v1.0 compl. Feb. 2nd, 2012)

Pics, Trailer, & Map:

Spoiler:

Style: Linear, Medium Environment, Heavy PVP
Direct Download (v2.0, December 18th 2012): http://www.mediafire...5rv1njp70t5y3lc

As stated before, I am heavily inspired by Xerothomas's CTM series. His was the first CTM I did a play-through on, or actually ever did a play-through on, and the first two I've completed, so it holds a special connection to me. Rickstercraft made a banner based off of a comment I made in the thread, related to the fact that Xero's third map came out this Friday, Feb 17th (coincidentally), which is my Birthday. I thought I would post it here to help you find your way over there as well, in case CTM is more your style. Posted Image

Posted Image

LEGAL:
Author is not responsible for damage caused by the use of these maps / files
Do not distribute these maps / files without Author's explicit permission
Do not distribute modified versions of these maps / files without Author's explicit permission
Do not attempt to earn income from these maps / files by selling, selling modified versions or charging fees for usage
Do not attempt to earn income from these maps / files using revenue generating URL shorteners
These maps / files are Copyright 2012 and are the intellectual property of the Author Thungon

As the user you have the right to post video content of this map to video and streaming sites such as YouTube and TwitchTV. The user also has the right to use videos containg footage of this map commercially (monetization.) Be sure to properly attribute the author (Thungon) along with a link to the Official MCForums Page somewhere in the video's description.

Let me know if you plan on recording yourselves playing! I would love to see how people take on the map blind, to know what I did well and what I did poorly. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

- Thungon

Posted Image
Maze Collection, Youtube channel, & RFW Series

Register or log in to remove.

christ1029
  • Minecraft: christ1029

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

Wow looks cool
Posted Image

Canias
    Canias

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Minecraft: Canias

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Awesome ;)

xerothomas
  • Minecraft: XeroThomas

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Looking great, I'll definitely play it with some friends and tell you about our (mis)adventures! :)
Posted Image

Leadmau5

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, spawn's messed up, you spawn up top. :/ Might wanna fix somehow.

Thungon217

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostLeadmau5, on 14 November 2011 - 07:13 PM, said:

Yeah, spawn's messed up, you spawn up top. :/ Might wanna fix somehow.

Thanks for telling me! V1.2 is up, with the fix.

I went through the pains of downloading the server and setting it all up to run on my computer (which is harder to do on a Mac I read). I spawned right by the entrance of team one's area, so I believe it should all be good now. All I did between this version and the previous was remove the roof at the start and make the stone brick half slabs around the start full blocks.

Posted Image

Leadmau5

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Ah, that works now! :) Thanks. I was going to record and post my friend's and my battle but I can't record very stably and no mics. :P Sorry!

Thungon217

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

View PostLeadmau5, on 15 November 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

Ah, that works now! :) Thanks. I was going to record and post my friend's and my battle but I can't record very stably and no mics. :P Sorry!

Ah yeah. Forgot to say to everyone: Tell me when/if you record your battles! I would love to watch and see what I did right and wrong with the making of the first map!

Also, I plan on having will have a "news" section on the top of the OP, so be sure to keep checks on this thread, I won't be bumping for most updates!

Posted Image

Lord Aro

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

How goes editing the video of Closing Darkness?

rayman86
    rayman86

Zombie Killer

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 238 posts
  • Minecraft: rayman86

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

This little piggy tried to build a brick house then a creeper blew his ass up lacking enough clay. -Sartharis
My YouTube channel

stuntdude
  • Minecraft: stuntddude

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thungon, sir, I love you in a brotherly, non-homo way.

View PostOmegaLambda, on 18 January 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

With science, evidence comes before explanation. With religion, explanation comes before evidence.

MrMsmg8
    MrMsmg8

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Minecraft: MrMsmg8

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

I love your maps. I wanted to make some RFW and CTW maps myself, but mcedit does not like my computer. If you need any ideas for RFW or preferably CTW maps, just PM me.
Posted Image

Thungon217

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostMrMsmg8, on 21 January 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

I love your maps. I wanted to make some RFW and CTW maps myself, but mcedit does not like my computer. If you need any ideas for RFW or preferably CTW maps, just PM me.

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your computer problems, but I do have a possible solution. Maybe you can try out worldedit (within the singleplayercommands mod) to help editing and creating your map? Or if you have the ability to run a server locally, you can even get world edit and VoxelSniper which can really help. In fact, my 4th RFW has been about 90-95% WorldEdit/VoxelSniper, mostly to play around with the latter but still a fairly nice alternative none the less!

As far as ideas go, I generally like to come up with my own. I just like the feeling that each map is my creativity coming out. If you have ideas, keep them! Hopefully you'll be able to use them using some method if mcedit doesn't quite cooperate with you.

Posted Image

Brenostar

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

This is absolutely amazing better then vechs!

bman1255
    bman1255

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

I have a match recorded as an announcer and a match i play in comign to my channel over the next few days
http://www.youtube.c...id?feature=mhee
there both on map 3

Adog353
    Adog353

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hey thungon. Me and a bunch of people just played Divided Together.
Video will be up at youtube.com/DogIsHealthy soon.
For some reason though, at one point our auto bridge builder broke. You will see it there. After, i opened it up and it seemed that the water was destroyed. I have no idea how but you might want to look into this. Possibly surround it with bedrock?

-Adog353/Justin

Lord Aro

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

Hey did you fix that thing in the area with the stuff?
It seemed mostly fine aside from that issue with the functionality interfering on the other side.

belowextraordinary
  • Minecraft: aboveordinary

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

might do a video on it. 2v2 with mics.
Redstoner, cmd block expert, and youtube manager for DazeMinecraft
http://www.dazeminecraft.com/

Posted Image

Thungon217

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostLord Aro, on 25 February 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Hey did you fix that thing in the area with the stuff?
It seemed mostly fine aside from that issue with the functionality interfering on the other side.

I updated Divided Together recently, the tournament edition, and the major problem with the bridge building mechanics was fixed. I also edited the bridges at the end, so the TNT doesn't have any chance of blowing up the floating button/redstone, as well as having a way to get back from Cyan if the other team blows up the last bridge. It also looks a lot cleaner. =P

Posted Image

theawesomeonehhh

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

nice maps
Posted Image