• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

"Can't connect to Minecraft.net" on MC Launcher

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Paperjace

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:17 AM

I recently purchased a premium account and downloaded the client.  When I go to login, I get the screen with red text saying "Can't connect to Minecraft.net", and have the choice whether to play offline or try again.  My brother, who purchased his copy minutes before I did, is on the same wireless network I'm on and he is able to connect just fine on his computer.

I have tried many different suggestions that I found on these forums, Google searches, and other places.  Nothing seems to work.  I have tried turning off Windows 7 firewall, adding Minecraft to the "Allow" list, uninstalling and reinstalling the game including deleting everything in my AppData folder (except my save files), and many other things.  Its beginning to get a little frustrating because my brother plays multiplayer all the time and I cannot, especially since I just dropped $14.  

Any help or suggestions would be great.  I have also emailed Notch with this exact message just to cover as many bases as possible.  This is a great game that I bought and I'd love for it to work at its full potential.

Register or log in to remove.

Paperjace

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

Bump

Paperjace

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

I'm going to keep bumping this until I get some sort of answer

KaiserTom

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

Ya its been the same for me, I really hate it, I can play in the browser just fine but the browser wont support HD texture packs like the standalone does.

Can someone give me/us a reasonable answer?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Banpower1

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:27 PM

well all I can tell you is that "many"/some (considering the amount of bought games) are having some problems with paypal/mojang and the only way to fix it would be to contact notch, since its probably not computer related... try using your brothers minecraft (his computer, his minecraft, just as if it was him) to test if it really is your account that is one of the unfortunate ones or if you have a wrong minecraft game?

Paperjace

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Banpower1 said:

well all I can tell you is that "many"/some (considering the amount of bought games) are having some problems with paypal/mojang and the only way to fix it would be to contact notch, since its probably not computer related... try using your brothers minecraft (his computer, his minecraft, just as if it was him) to test if it really is your account that is one of the unfortunate ones or if you have a wrong minecraft game?
Thank you for the reply.

My account definitely works on my brother's computer, so I don't think it has anything to do with the account itself.  No accounts work on my computer, for whatever reason.  Firewall off, port forwarding for Minecraft Server, reinstalling (including deleting the ".minecraft" folder in AppData), everything.  Nothing seems to do it.

Also, what do you mean about an account being an "unfortunate one"?  Have there been problems where people can't connect to Minecraft.net (via the alpha client.  Not internet browser.)?  I know there was a DDoS attack (or whatever its called) a month or so ago, but I feel that this has nothing to do with that.  And I don't think I have the wrong Minecraft.exe.  I downloaded it straight from the MC website for the correct operating system (Win 7).

Banpower1

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

ok, first by the "unfortunate one" i was thinking of those few people where the payment just don't go through, and since your brothers computer is working (with your account) we can locate the problem to your computer, i see that you know that some computer firewalls blocks the game, so far so good :P if you go to http://minecraft.net/download.jsp have you tried both of the two minecraft.exe under windows? it might be that the other launcher will work (try deleting the .minecraft folder before running the other one)

KaiserTom

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

I'm almost think that it was a recent windows update, that's the only thing I can point this to, I don't know why, or how, it is blocking this, it maybe that it just is.

Imma see if I can't get something on Wireshark if it even is a network problem of some sort

Dark_Prince946

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

turn off timestamps there is a guide in support fourms page 1 just bumped for ya

sunny946(facepunch) said:

My idiot of a brother thinking Ubuntu was a "virus" deleated all the files.(used wubi)

sim642(facepunch) said:

Install Ubuntu from CD and replace Windows. Tell your bro you thought Windows was a virus.

Paperjace

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

Dark_Prince946 said:

turn off timestamps there is a guide in support fourms page 1 just bumped for ya

Opening Minecraft.net in my browser works fine.  I can play and connect perfectly in the browser version of the game.  Its only when I use my downloaded client.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Paperjace

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:39 AM

Banpower1 said:

if you go to http://minecraft.net/download.jsp have you tried both of the two minecraft.exe under windows? it might be that the other launcher will work (try deleting the .minecraft folder before running the other one)

Did as you said.  I deleted everything Minecraft I had on my computer (except my saves of course :White:) and downloaded the second client download in the Windows download section.  I still have the same result.  When I first ran the 2nd client, it asked me to play online in the browser first before I tried connecting with the client.  I did, which downloaded the AppData files.  I closed it and ran it again and I got the same error as I did with the first client.

KaiserTom

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:49 AM

I have solved the problem. For Windows Users anyways. If anyone knows the Mac equivalent that would be great.

What you need to do is go to "Programs and Features" in your control panel (Add/Remove Programs for Windows XP) and uninstall ANY Java Runtime Environments and/or updates, basically anything with Java in the name.

Then reinstall JRE from http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and your standalone client will connect once again (or at least it did for me).

Edit: Also thanks to Paperface himself for giving me a adding "Java Platform" onto a list I requested from him which got me thinking.

Paperjace

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:28 AM

Damn.  Didn't work for me.  I tried uninstalling everything Java, restarting my computer to ensure everything was cleaned out, and reinstalled Java...and still can't connect.  I feel like I'm running out of options.

This is the only game that doesn't connect online for me.  Every other program works fine...IM Clients, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, etc etc.  Minecraft and Java are definitely on the "allow" list in Windows Firewall and Avast antivirus.  I even started using Windows to manage my wireless connection instead of the software that came with  my WiFi adaptor.

I hope Notch replies to my email soon....
Posted Image

Paperjace

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:35 AM

Still can't connect.  Anyone else have any suggestions?  I feel like the handful of you that have posted have helped make some progress.  I'm out of ideas and I'm sure some of you more tech-savvy posters will have a solution.

Paperjace

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

Bump

Paperjace

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

So its been 2 months and I haven't been able to figure out my problem.  I'm bumping this thread again to see if it will get some new suggestions.  I would really appreciate any help.  There seems to be no solution for this and I'm beginning to regret even paying a dime for this game seeing as how I can't enjoy the full features of the purchased game.

bearadactylx

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

i was having similar problems with getting it to work on my laptop after getting it installed on my desktop and running fine, just seemed like i had to try it a couple times spread out over a couple days and then one time it worked : /

MrPillow
    MrPillow

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:34 AM

Hey, I have the same problem except I'm on a MacBook. It's really a hassle having to play multiplayer in the browser. It said in your first post that you and your brother are on a wireless network. I recently hooked up my MacBook to my modem via an Ethernet cable, because I was having wireless internet problems, and now I can connect to minecraft.net and play multiplayer in the client. If this applies to you, you could hook up your computer to your modem as well. It isn't really a solution, just a way around the problem. I hope this helps, good luck!
Posted Image Posted Image    Posted Image    Posted Image