Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Mobs aren't spawning.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

UK_Legend
  • Minecraft: xUK_Legendx

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:54 AM

With several attempts at making a mob trap in these particular maps, they spawn not a single mob.

The area(s) are more than big enough, more than high enough, 25+ blocks away from my location, pitch black inside the area but no hostile mobs spawn, what so ever.

It is a gravity trap, the easiest of them all, I followed the same design when playing this survival map a while back and it worked perfectly then, but for some reason like I said, this time it doesn't want to work.

I've tryed the same trap in an SSP world as well as an SMP world, both the same problem, a friend also build a different design following the same rule, and again, it didn't work.

Was there an update effecting the spawn rates that I overlooked?

Minecraft version 1.8.1 if that's any help.

Edit: for the record, I am not playing on peaceful  <_<

Register or log in to remove.

Doozy
    Doozy

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1341 posts
  • Minecraft: Doozy

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:55 AM

Make sure you have the difficulty set to normal or above.

FoxRacer30
  • Minecraft: Fox_Racer30

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

Spawning for non-hostile mobs has been altered. they are generated on world creation, and no longer re spawn (well... I *think* there is a VERY small chance for a new mob to spawn.)
Not sure if Hostile mobs have changed any, but it doesn't appear so.

Posted Image

UK_Legend

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

View PostDoozy, on 11 November 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

Make sure you have the difficulty set to normal or above.

I would much like it if people read my post before posting.

View PostFoxRacer30, on 11 November 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

Spawning for non-hostile mobs has been altered. they are generated on world creation, and no longer re spawn (well... I *think* there is a VERY small chance for a new mob to spawn.)
Not sure if Hostile mobs have changed any, but it doesn't appear so.

This it where I am confused, I am talking about hostile, and I've played survival maps on 1.8.1 and they've spawned fine in the traps i've build on there, it seems to work or it doesn't and in these cases, it doesn't.

MrJongberg

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Could you specify how you build your trap

FoxRacer30
  • Minecraft: Fox_Racer30

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Only thing I can tell you for Hostile is to try moving it (your trap) to a different chunk(s)
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Don't know why, but above-ground grav traps seem to work more often than those built into the ground.

Posted Image

UK_Legend

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

View PostMrJongberg, on 11 November 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

Could you specify how you build your trap

Sure, it's roughly 30 blocks high ( I'm aware only 22 is needed, but better to be safe than sorry, right?)

The platform is roughly.. 30x30? with a 5x5 maybe 10x10 hole in the center, there are 3 platforms stacked with 3 blocks high between them.

like I said, this trap has worked wonders in the past, but doesn't seem to want to work on this map.

It is pitch black inside, as the bottom is opened by pistons which usually lets the items past for me to collect.

redomer
    redomer

Coal Miner

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

Try moving your char a bit further away hostile mobs seem to spawn more (but as much as in previous version) easily. I had the same problem in my world even trough my mob trap works with water and is only two blocks high.

BrokenEye
    BrokenEye

Nether Resident

• Members
  • 2283 posts
  • Minecraft: BrokenEye

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

If you're using 1.8 or later, mobs don't respawn. If you're using 1.9 you can make them respawn by breeding.
Posted Image
"Your "reality", sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever" — Baron Munchhausen

Tonyflow1

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

do you have a bed anywhere nearby?? idk but maybe that might do something. or maybe if you have mods they might not have got installed correctly and messed with mod generation.

i had the same problem sometime earlier....for some reason no mobs were spawning even in pitch black caves. so maybe this is a bug

UK_Legend

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

View PostTonyflow1, on 11 November 2011 - 08:07 AM, said:

do you have a bed anywhere nearby?? idk but maybe that might do something. or maybe if you have mods they might not have got installed correctly and messed with mod generation.

i had the same problem sometime earlier....for some reason no mobs were spawning even in pitch black caves. so maybe this is a bug

I'm thinking it's the area I am in.

There is no mod conflicts, as I've run the same .minecraft on other saves, and the trap has worked perfectly.

View PostBrokenEye, on 11 November 2011 - 08:06 AM, said:

If you're using 1.8 or later, mobs don't respawn. If you're using 1.9 you can make them respawn by breeding.

I am talking about hostile mobs, in 1.8.1, please read the post before posting.

Besides, I don't feel comfortable running up to a creeper with wheat in hand asking him to breed <_<

Another thing, which I have just remembered, It has been awfully quiet trekking caves, despite playing on 'Normal' difficulty.

My friend pointed that out to me the other day.
----------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Upon pressing F3, I realise that there is actually no Entity's what so ever, regardless of which way I look, apart from when I come across the occasional naturally spawned Passive/hostile mob. regardless of whether or not I stroll into newly generated chunks, or move back and forth from my old loaded ones.

I built several different mob traps throughout my world. and none are spawning any hostile mobs.

I'm coming to the conclusion that this is a bug which occurs only in certain worlds.

The reason It works so perfectly in my survival world, is there is only a set amount of chunks, with only a set amount to choose from they have no choice but to spawn there.

If anyone is still reading this, I believe I found the problem.

Apparently, when playing in SMP, reducing the View-distance in the server.properties file is the bug, it actually eliminates hostile mobs spawning, I set it to 3, as I am running a small server on a fairly low end computer, but putting it back to the default 10 had mobs spawning like normal, though it lags, least I found the solution.

It's a bug listed in the known bugs section of the wiki, one of many SMP's bugs that needs to be fixed.

Edited by iUK, 11 November 2011 - 05:58 PM.

Doozy
    Doozy

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1341 posts
  • Minecraft: Doozy

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

View PostiUK, on 11 November 2011 - 08:00 AM, said:

I would much like it if people read my post before posting.

You said nothing about your difficulty settings until after I mentioned it. Then you went back and edited. Don't imply that others thought or acted wrongly when you are the one who didn't initially supply the information. Very poor move on your part.

UK_Legend

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostDoozy, on 11 November 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

You said nothing about your difficulty settings until after I mentioned it. Then you went back and edited. Don't imply that others thought or acted wrongly when you are the one who didn't initially supply the information. Very poor move on your part.

I edited it for better understanding, if you read it you'd of noticed me saying "it's worked on other maps" settings ingame transfer over from map to map.

I will admit it may have been poorly described, but it was there.