• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Has anyone had luck with spider spawner xp grinders? (not cave spiders)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Nutshell38

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:50 AM

I've seen a few videos about xp grinders built off of cave spider spawners. I tried to replicate them for a regular spider spawner that I found. I know they are 2 blocks wide so I adjusted the designs accordingly, but they still seem to get stuck on each other no matter how I try to corral them. Does anyone have an example of an efficient xp grinder specifically made for regular spider spawners?

Register or log in to remove.

Infernograve
  • Minecraft: BlackIce100

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

Spiders rarely work in XP grinders because they climb on the walls. If you are trying to use a gravity trap to lower their health, it won't work.

dylanshaann
  • Minecraft: ddyyll

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:14 AM

i recommend using a zombie spawner. its really quite simple. dig down one block, place water soarce in a corner, in the opposite corner, open a hole in the corner, 2 blocks off the ground. you will get drops and XP from the zombies, but they wont kill you.
Made You Look.

Posted Image

Nutshell38

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:24 AM

View PostInfernograve, on 09 November 2011 - 04:52 AM, said:

Spiders rarely work in XP grinders because they climb on the walls. If you are trying to use a gravity trap to lower their health, it won't work.

I can keep them on the ground no problem. I dug out a deep 11x11 shaft so they immediately fall and cannot get to the walls until they take the fall damage. I have a lip around the edge of the room near the bottom, so only an occasional spider gets on the walls. The trouble is getting them in the same spot once they are down there. I can cut out a 1 block hole in the corner of the room and hit them all, but they back up behind each other so it takes a little bit for the rear ones to move up once the front ones are dead. technically it works, but it's not as efficient as I'd like .I tried making a vertical water ladder with an entrance in the bottom, but they keep getting stuck on each other

View Postdylanshaann, on 09 November 2011 - 05:14 AM, said:

i recommend using a zombie spawner. its really quite simple. dig down one block, place water soarce in a corner, in the opposite corner, open a hole in the corner, 2 blocks off the ground. you will get drops and XP from the zombies, but they wont kill you.
If I can't get this to work better soon, I may just have to go hunting for another spawner. I'm just kinda anxious because this is the only spawner I've found so far.

bugmanc
    bugmanc

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

I sugest a sticky piston crusher. This is probably too late though... Oh well.

Zide
    Zide

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1220 posts
  • Minecraft: Chaecter

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Cacti worked for me.
Hello there!
Spoiler:

Faustnero

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

they won't kill you but they can hurt you right? i saw this trick on youtube but he's doing an exp farm.

i recommend having armours and edibles for this.

xXMiner49erXxx
  • Minecraft: alancole64
  • Xbox:Alanmaster64

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:15 AM

I had one. It really was not that good :P
Now I use Zombie spawners and double cave spider spawners ^_^
[link='']Posted Image[/link]

VariusEtland

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

I don't have a tutorial but on the survivor server I have one that lowers their health to one hit. Just a basic crusher with a delay

Dexter_Drake

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

My first XP Farm was a Spider Grinder, my own build. It took me to LV30 in about 20 minutes while AFK.

1) First, I built a 7x7 square area with the spawner in the perfect center
2) Then, I built a 4 wide/17 deep pit in front of the square. Just place water on the opposite side (7 buckets are recommended).
3) Spiders spawn in a 3x1 area in front of the spawner, but since they're 2x2, they are pushed into the pit by water currents
4) Spiders can now be killed with a single blow, bare-handed. Build a way to your 17-deep pit, and mine small 1x2 windows, just to make sure you can hit 'em without getting hit
5) Put torches on the wall counting 4 blocks from the basement
6) Profit

I still have the structure in my Survival World, although I dug a deeper pit to make it a String Farm, since my Blaze XP Farm is much more effective. I can post screenshots if you need them.

Sutireme
    Sutireme

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Minecraft: Sutireme

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

you can put water over fenceposts at the bottom of your pit to push them into the corner you want.  the fenceposts prevent the spiders from being slowed down by the water before they hit the... well fenceposts in this case.  but you'll need a collection area below because sometimes their drops will fall through.
[represent]

drrn12
    drrn12

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Whats the point of making a xp grinder for spiders? It is so much easier to make it out of any other mob. Make yourself a Flushing Mobtrap :P. Youtube bruh.

Coyote81
    Coyote81

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Dexter for the insight. In my survival, a spider spawner is the only think I've found so far, so I'm going to amek due with what I got.  It works well.

@drnn12:  If all you got is a spider spawner, you gotta make due.

joaopada
  • Minecraft: joaopada

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostDexter_Drake, on 16 August 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

My first XP Farm was a Spider Grinder, my own build. It took me to LV30 in about 20 minutes while AFK.

2) Then, I built a 4 wide/17 deep pit in front of the square. Just place water on the opposite side (7 buckets are recommended).
3) Spiders spawn in a 3x1 area in front of the spawner, but since they're 2x2, they are pushed into the pit by water currents
4) Spiders can now be killed with a single blow, bare-handed. Build a way to your 17-deep pit, and mine small 1x2 windows, just to make sure you can hit 'em without getting hit
6) Profit

I still have the structure in my Survival World, although I dug a deeper pit to make it a String Farm, since my Blaze XP Farm is much more effective. I can post screenshots if you need them.

I would like pictures please! I just found one, and i'm too lazy to find another one. Preferably, screenshots of the spider (like the step by step images) and from the blaze one :D
Portuguese? Português? Check out my YouTube channel! Dá uma olhadela ao meu canal do YouTube!

ZOOMAN2000

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

View PostDexter_Drake, on 16 August 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

6) Profit

This is a really good farm. I'm going to use it for myself! Posted Image