• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Loons
    Loons

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

We all know the sponge block is now around for a long time but never had any use or even appeared in the game naturally.
Well, I have two things in mind that maybe make the sponge an unseful block:

1) sponges soak water up in reallity but since the water physics in minecraft are very different I just thought that the sponge could be something like a border for water. That means that water on top of the sponge does not spread further.
An example: You build a mobtrap and all the canals that transport the mobs to the holes they fall in has to be at least 8 blocks away from the hole so that the water does not flow over the edge. But if the border of the hole is made out of sponge you are able to make canals that are shorter than 8 blocks because the water does not flow over the edge. I flows on tob on the sponge but not further. This could replace all this constructions with signs.

2) Since 1.8 water seeps through blocks, if it is directly above. I think it would be nice that, if water is on top of a sponge and it seeps through, it waters your fields. You would not have to make canals of water through your field but could build a construction of sponges with water on top of them over your field to water it.

Here is a picture to explain what I want to say:
Posted Image

So what do you think about thais idea? What else could the sponge be used for?

Register or log in to remove.

kewsi
    kewsi

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Minecraft: kewsi

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

I like the plant watering idea alot.
Posted Image

mr.italy

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

so do i! That's fantastic! Thanks!!! Im gonna be building that tonight  =D

Loons
    Loons

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

IHATEPINK
  • Minecraft: IHATEPINK

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

View PostLoons, on 05 November 2011 - 11:09 PM, said:

We all know the sponge block is now around for a long time but never had any use or even appeared in the game naturally.
Well, I have two things in mind that maybe make the sponge an unseful block:

1) sponges soak water up in reallity but since the water physics in minecraft are very different I just thought that the sponge could be something like a border for water. That means that water on top of the sponge does not spread further.
An example: You build a mobtrap and all the canals that transport the mobs to the holes they fall in has to be at least 8 blocks away from the hole so that the water does not flow over the edge. But if the border of the hole is made out of sponge you are able to make canals that are shorter than 8 blocks because the water does not flow over the edge. I flows on tob on the sponge but not further. This could replace all this constructions with signs.

2) Since 1.8 water seeps through blocks, if it is directly above. I think it would be nice that, if water is on top of a sponge and it seeps through, it waters your fields. You would not have to make canals of water through your field but could build a construction of sponges with water on top of them over your field to water it.

Here is a picture to explain what I want to say:
Posted Image

So what do you think about thais idea? What else could the sponge be used for?
the sponge has beed used to absorb water but it was removed , but we can still find the item with inv edit or creative mode. but it's proprieties are removed. i dont think they will add it again after they removed it.

Acejhm
    Acejhm

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Minecraft: Acejhm
  • Xbox:Acejhm

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Good ideas!  This would make neat looking greenhouses, and maximize your planting area.  Plus, you could make some neat mob traps with this.

---Ace---

Posted Image

kewsi
    kewsi

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Minecraft: kewsi

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Finite liquid added properties to the sponge, it soaks up water and releases a bit when you right click it.
Posted Image

Loons
    Loons

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

View PostIHATEPINK, on 05 November 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

the sponge has beed used to absorb water but it was removed , but we can still find the item with inv edit or creative mode. but it's proprieties are removed. i dont think they will add it again after they removed it.

Yeah, i seems very unlikely that they will do that but there is a hole bunch of modders who maybe like the idea and turn it into a mod or something like that :)

snipesalot0
  • Minecraft: snipesalot0

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

awesome idea!
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world blind -Ghandi

TrojanKnight
  • Minecraft: ESPAlchemist

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

Good idea but in reality I never really like the default texture for sponge
Posted Image

KyoShinda
    KyoShinda

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8155 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:05 AM

Having a sponge in the terrain folder is an eyesore when it has no purpose right now.
I was trying to think of how a sponge would soak up water without being like any other placed block but this idea makes a lot of sense.

So would dripping sponge water grow plants and regular drip water not?
Posted Image

TheLamaDuck
  • Minecraft: TheLamaDuck

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

Very nice idea and the picture was really nice :)
Posted Image

Loons
    Loons

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

View PostKyoShinda, on 06 November 2011 - 02:05 AM, said:

Having a sponge in the terrain folder is an eyesore when it has no purpose right now.
I was trying to think of how a sponge would soak up water without being like any other placed block but this idea makes a lot of sense.

So would dripping sponge water grow plants and regular drip water not?

When I saw the water dripping from blocks I tried to water my field with it and was a little sad that it did not work so I came up with this idea :) But I think the dripping water is not the best way to indicate water flowing on top on a block. It ruins all the houses with a swimming pool on the roof and stuff like that.

But yeah the ability to water plants should be exclusive for the sponge :)

acs_148
    acs_148

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 623 posts
  • Minecraft: a1c4s8

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

The irrigation/firefighting? use is a great idea. :D
Posted Image

KyoShinda
    KyoShinda

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8155 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostLoons, on 06 November 2011 - 08:03 PM, said:

When I saw the water dripping from blocks I tried to water my field with it and was a little sad that it did not work so I came up with this idea :) But I think the dripping water is not the best way to indicate water flowing on top on a block. It ruins all the houses with a swimming pool on the roof and stuff like that.

But yeah the ability to water plants should be exclusive for the sponge :)
How about 'sponge pools' drip more water, that way it's feasible. lol
Posted Image

ngdrex
    ngdrex

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Minecraft: ngdrex

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

dude good idea :goldore:  :GoldBar:

robo111
    robo111

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1265 posts
  • Minecraft: robo111

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Crafting though...
4 YELLOW wool and a water bucket, getting the bucket back?
Great idea.
Posted Image

Loons
    Loons

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

View PostKyoShinda, on 06 November 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

How about 'sponge pools' drip more water, that way it's feasible. lol

Thats maybe the best way, because even if the water dripping is kind of annoying, sometimes you can do cool stuff wit it like building flowstone caves and stuff like that :)

EDIT: @ robo111
Yeah , sponges being craftable would be nice.

KyoShinda
    KyoShinda

Enderman Ender

• Members
  • 8155 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

What I still don't understand is how rain is just, for the most part, an aesthetic entity that only affects enderman, you would think it would turn lava into obsidian just to avoid being a double standard.
Posted Image

PigManZombie

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

The best idea I have ever came across..

Posted Image