27 replies to this topic

FillNill
    FillNill

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Minecraft: FillNill

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

Always wanted to play minecraft with a controller? We’ll heres your chance to do exactly that!

First off, heres what your going to need:

• A controller(DUH); I used a “Xbox 360 controller for PC” in this tutorial (witch I recommend) but you can use a PS3 one too, I think! If your on a Mac then I would just use the weird one (Cheaper); witch I did because it’s just so much easier! And a wireless one is so much extra to get it working

[Pc & Mac] If you do REALLY want to get a wireless controller; you’ll need the extra receiver! It’s usually in the same pack as the wireless controller for pc!

Mac:

Pc:
  • [Drivers]Install the drivers for Windows (Should be on the disc that came with the controller or can be downloaded from their site:
    Pc Drivers

• [Programme]JoyToKey: JoyToKey (I understand It works just like ControllerMate for the mac; witch I used. More info can be found at the link; it looks easy to set up).

Mac Tutorial:

I’ll start with this one because I’m on a mac and need to figure out the Pc one first! :D

1:Install the Driver. It’s a standard mac install really, it does require a reboot and it should be done.
You’ll then get a new pane in System Preferences called “Xbox 360 Controllers” [Image bellow]

Posted Image

Your controller should appear at the top; under “Device”. You can screw around with the sensitivity of the joysticks and invert them. BUT you don’t need to really change anything there at all! [Image bellow]

Posted Image

2:Next you’ll need to open ControllerMate (Install it if you haven’t) And move to next step! [Image bellow]

Posted Image

3:You should see a window with all your controllers (also Mice and keyboards) If you don’t; it can be found under Window>Palette Window>New Palette or Command E. They turn blue when they receive input (you move them or something). [Image bellow]

Posted Image

4:Click on your controller In my case it’s “Xbox  360 Controller”
[Image bellow]

Posted Image

5:You will see a big list of all the buttons on your controller I renamed all of them to make it easier in the next steps! I would do it to for future! If you press a button, move joystick .etc it will light up and you’ll know what to change the button to. For example “Button A”.
[Image bellow]

Posted Image

6:Now you can program the controller your self by creating a new programme (The blue “G”) and dropping and Dragging the different tiles in the file. There are tones of tutorials for ControllerMate programming so just look that up!

7:BUT! Who wants to do that right? So install the pre-made programme file I made that you downloaded earlier and import it to ControllerMate. (The Import feature can be found under File>Import).

Posted Image

8:IMPORTANT Make sure you drag both files the one called “Minecraft” file and also the “Virtual Mouse” file into ControllerMate!

Posted Image

9:If you click on the little arrow next to the program “Minecraft” you’ll see all the different programme pages. You don’t really need to change anything in those files at all!

Posted Image

10:PLEASE NOTE: That the “Minecraft” programme will only work when the Minecraft application is running! Witch means the controller can be used/ programmed for the games![Image bellow]

Posted Image

Finale rap-up:So now every time you play Minecraft you can play with your controller with out turning on any settings or running anything it just all works! :D

Pc Tutorial:

(There are no pictures for the tutorial yet; maybe somebody can make some for me? As I don’t have a Pc!)

1:Install The drivers off the disc that came with your controller! After you Installed the drivers, open Start and type in “joy.cpl” and press Enter. Select Xbox 360 Controller, and then click Properties. Now test your controller by pressing a button or trigger.

2:Run “JoyToKey” and create a new game config file and programme the keys for minecraft. Like I said I’m on a mac and don’t really know how the set-up works of a Pc! :/ Anyway this site seams to be really helpful (Also download) [http://www.electraco...h Version.html]

Final rap-up:Sorry that the Pc tutorial is really shit! :/ but I don’t really know what to do there! If someone knows a better way, then please tell me. Who am I kidding?! This is the internet, I’ll be corrected in a matter of seconds!  <_<

Support this tutorial, and show off that your playing Minecraft with a controller by using this epic Sig! :D
Posted Image

[url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/765085-how-to-play-minecraft-with-a-controller-pc-mac/][img]http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy53/Julius_Baessler/Xbox369ControllerTut/mca.png[/img][/url] 

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

Ores 'n' Picks
  • Minecraft: lolcat39
  • Xbox:EvilKitty79

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

Amazing! This, Will, Be, FUN.

FillNill
    FillNill

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostOres, on 05 November 2011 - 08:10 AM, said:

Amazing! This, Will, Be, FUN.
You welcome! :)
Posted Image

SeaWry
    SeaWry

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7097 posts
  • Minecraft: Flutterwry

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

Meh, I prefer GlovePie scripting for that. The mouse movements is so much smoother and more customization. Still, some may find this useful, good job.

Evolution Zero
  • Minecraft: MeowDesu

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

I prefer XPadder.

EmoKnight
  • Minecraft: zDeathKnightz
  • Xbox:ZzCKYzZ

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

View PostEvolution Zero, on 05 November 2011 - 08:26 AM, said:

I prefer XPadder.
same use it all time and can set up it for other controller :)
Posted Image
#### ^ Click Image to Download Mod Page ^ ###

lucifersa
  • Minecraft: casualjon

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Nice, clean, tutorial. Great job!

Read the guidelines before posting!

FillNill
    FillNill

Out of the Water

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

View PostxJon, on 05 November 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

Nice, clean, tutorial. Great job!

Thanks, sorta new at this! :D
Posted Image

GabrielSv

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

quick question:
     Can you do it with a Philips PC controller?

artturi98

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

If you have an XBOX 360 controller, i think you have an XBOX 360. Would it be better (and easier) idea to just buy minecraft for X360?
Posted Image

MrTripStack
  • Minecraft: MrTripStack

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

I use Xpadder as well and it works perfectly with a wired Xbox 360 controller. I figured this out when I used to play the Nintendo 64 emulator, because the X360 controller is much more comfortable than the N64. My N64 is still in storage though, for when I'm in one of those "retro gaming" type of moods.

View Postartturi98, on 26 November 2011 - 06:33 AM, said:

If you have an Xbox 360 controller, i think you have an XBOX 360. Would it be better (and easier) idea to just buy minecraft for X360?

Minecraft just got released for Xbox 360, though it's been out for PC for a long time now! We already have been playing on our PC, so we have our saves and other files associated with Minecraft already installed, so it's better to just continue playing on the PC. Also, it's much easier to add mods, Texture Packs, etc.

Posted Image

seajay1221

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

does this have sprinting?

seajay1221

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

can't get sprinting to work. also, the mouse-camera is SUPER slow on macs. any way to speed it up? the system prefs driver config didn't change anything.

krawte89
    krawte89

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thanks a lot for this tutorial! I do have one question, though. How do you turn off the rumble for an Xbox 360 wireless controller when the right and left triggers are pulled?

iJumbo
    iJumbo

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Minecraft: iJumbo

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:33 AM

The right analog is really slow while trying to look around (Similar to moving your mouse). The sensitivity is unbearable to play with. How can this be fixed?

Posted Image

☆ FIGHTCRAFT ☆ 1.2.5 ☆ #1 HARDCORE PVP SERVER ☆ TEAMS ☆ MCMMO ☆ CUSTOM PLUGINS! ☆

Hemptatious
  • Minecraft: highlife

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

Helped a lot! fast instal thank you!

kilz
    kilz

Tree Puncher

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

when will you have the tutorial for the pc because im trying to do it so i can let you no s it would  esier for you since you said u play on mac but i just cant do it  :(

Badgerlover

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

i'm using a mac, my controller isn't showing up in the devices.

JaffaCake_Joe

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

This is very unhelpful for windows with no pictures Posted Image
Posted Image

DuncanTheEnderman
  • Minecraft: SwiftEnderman
  • Xbox:Duuuncan

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Wont work for me.

Only thing that works is the WASD.
:/