• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Slots/People per 1 Gig of ram?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

WhiteDragon32

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

I keep getting conflicting information all over. So, I'm putting up a post for this question.

How many people can be on your server at one time and not have bad lag if you have 1 Gig of ram dedicated to the MC.java server?

Register or log in to remove.

drewy911
    drewy911

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

Depends on what host your using.

Posted Image

thecrowflys
  • Minecraft: alexhaslam

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

i work for a hosting company and we dont limit slots but we do give guidlines to avoid lag, we say 1gb can host 20 player (vanilla) or 16 with bukkit.

we find this works well on out servers...

but depends on the type of ram its speed, your prossesors ect..

pm me for more details

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lord_Ralex
    Lord_Ralex

Typoing Absolmin

• Forum Admin
  • Curse Premium
  • 5806 posts
  • Minecraft: Lord_Ralex

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

It is not always about how much RAM you got. I could have 8 GB of RAM, but it won't mean anything unless I have a upload and download rate that can support those players. Both are an important factor, each one can only tell you so much, so whichever is worse is what you should assume your max is, until you get testing done and can see if it is so. I have a dedi and I have seen others of the same size run 7 people no problem with 1 GB of RAM, but they have a really good upload rate, they claim 100 Mbps, so what would slow me down is the RAM in this case. You will need to take your internet speed, whether from your own internet or a service, to answer this fully.

MCF Admin for Servers and Mapping and Modding

Posted Image

weepoorjimmy

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

1GB on my server can host 20 people

literarylogan
  • Minecraft: literarylogan

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

5 people per 256 MB of RAM seems to work pretty well, but it won't support that many if you're doing any flying, world editing, animal spawning, etc.  You might get some lag also.  To be safe, I'd say 7-8 people per 512 MB of RAM, maximum of 10.
I make Minecraft videos!
They are on my YouTube channel. http://youtube.com/literarylogan/

WhiteDragon32

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for the replies everyone. It was helpful.