• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

CSieg
    CSieg

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

This challenge is heavily inspired by The City Construction Challenge by Iamchris27.  I loved the challenge, but I became completely derailed towards the end because I wanted to develop a modern city instead of a kingdom.

Update 6/2/12:
All mods have been updated for 1.2.5.  You can find them at the links provided or search for the Technic Pack.  I'll be updating the challenge a bit since there seems to be more interest.  I'm open to suggestions for additional mods or rule changes.

I've removed the need for running water and bathrooms in buildings, as they didn't really serve a purpose.  The outhouse stays, I like the outhouse.

Update 6/9/12:
I've given a grace period before the earthquake affects you, for those that don't stockpile iron.  I've also added a seventh stage, which is random challenges associated with different mods.

Before You Begin
To establish a modern feel, this challenge is heavily reliant on mods.  If you are unable or unwilling to use mods, this challenge probably isn't for you.

The Mods
Required
IndustrialCraft 2
Buildcraft
or
Arrrg's Mine Craft Overhaul This is a great mod compilation containing the above mods plus many more.
Optional
Pretty much anything you want that doesn't break the challenge for you.  I'm not using Equivalent Exchange for a reason.  It's great, but it's pretty unbalanced when combined with other mods.

Some that I use:
RedPower - Huge mod, but, I mainly use it just to simplify redstone.
Not Enough Items - Great for recipes so you don't need to check wikis every few minutes.
Forestry - This adds many automated farms and makes IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft play well together.
Better Dungeons - Adds great places to explore with new bosses and valuable treasures.

The Challenge
I challenge you to build a modern city.  Throw away your old Minecraft habits and join the 21st century.

General Rules Always in effect
Spoiler:

Stage 1: A New Land
Spoiler:

Stage 2: Building Begins
Spoiler:

Stage 3: Promising Future
Spoiler:

Stage 4: Earthquake!
Spoiler:

Stage 5: Civilization
Spoiler:

Stage 6: A Modern City
Spoiler:

Stage 7: Mod Mastery
Spoiler:

Useful Tips
Spoiler:

Mod Wikis
Industrial Craft 2 Wiki
BuildCraft Wiki

Register or log in to remove.

btwsupporter
  • Minecraft: Mikesully52

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:13 AM

awesome, a challenge that requires well known mod(packs). Unfortunately I can't download them because media fire is blocked in china. Asked Arg to upload the modpack to keepandshare.com but I'm guessing he wont. If he does though, I look forward to completing this challenge.

Aerarius
    Aerarius

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1032 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Cool challenge

yuyuhakushi
  • Minecraft: nicocjc

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

stage 1: howto make torches to survive the night in your pitch dark abode?

< Posted Image >

help me or die inside

wells123456
  • Minecraft: well845

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

View Postyuyuhakushi, on 31 October 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

Yep, thats a hole in the challenge.

CSieg
    CSieg

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

View Postyuyuhakushi, on 31 October 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

A. Finish stage 1 before nightfall and you can craft torches.  It's 6 logs and some dirt.
B. Sit in your dark hut all night listening to the monsters outside.  They won't spawn next to you if you don't sleep.

yuyuhakushi
  • Minecraft: nicocjc

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

View Postbtwsupporter, on 31 October 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

awesome, a challenge that requires well known mod(packs). Unfortunately I can't download them because media fire is blocked in china. Asked Arg to upload the modpack to keepandshare.com but I'm guessing he wont. If he does though, I look forward to completing this challenge.
ANOTHER PERSON WITH THE GREAT FIREWALL PROBLEMS, huzzah!

wish more people used planetminecraft...

as for stage one, just allow wooden tool use.

< Posted Image >

help me or die inside

CSieg
    CSieg

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Alright removed Stage 1 temporary home and food requirements.  All you have to do is build a lumber yard, which is 6 logs.  The point is to require you to build a structure before being able to process wood.

CSieg
    CSieg

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

I spent some time modifying the challenge to have a bit more story and adjust the difficulty levels.  I found it was too difficult to get the redstone needed without using old school mining methods.

Yes, I still want you to spend your first night in the dark, listening to the monsters outside.  You don't need torches to survive.

bobob167
    bobob167

Newly Spawned

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

I have started the challenge and im having fun with it. My only question is what you consider "running water" do i need waterproof pipes? or can I just throw a bucket of water into a bunch of empty space in the wall that leads outside?

CSieg
    CSieg

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

View Postbobob167, on 17 November 2011 - 08:38 AM, said:

I have started the challenge and im having fun with it. My only question is what you consider "running water" do i need waterproof pipes? or can I just throw a bucket of water into a bunch of empty space in the wall that leads outside?

It's totally up to you.  I used a bucket of water to create a "toilet" and had the water lead to a sewer system, which in turn leads to my recycling center.  It's really an overly complicated system that doesn't even get used.

Towelsauce
  • Minecraft: Py1on

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like a fun challenge, but I have no experience with those mods and would be rather overwhelming to learn it and to install them only to wait till they are updated for the release of MC.
Bow chika bow wow

WunderWaffleHD
  • Minecraft: WunderWaffleHD

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'm not sick of castles. I like them because a modern city doesn't really work in Minecraft.
Like my post? Give me a Posted Image for reputation!

superjer76
    superjer76

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1146 posts
  • Minecraft: superjer76

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

Looks cool!

miauw62
    miauw62

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1958 posts
  • Minecraft: miauw62

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Nice challenge.
I think im gonna bookmark this.
But not beining allowed to mine underground anymore is a bit tough.
Mining is part of minecraft after all.
Like the maker of industricraft said:
Minecraft means 3 things:
Mine = its my game
mine = mine stuff
craft = crafft stuff.

Spiskellepigreeperjockey said:

Place the melon and smash it with your hands karate-style.
Problem solved.

CSieg
    CSieg

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

There's no underground mining because I want you to focus on using the Industrialcraft miners.  It's also a bit too easy to do the normal routine and build a mine shaft to dig up a bunch of diamonds.

procommander

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

hey guys how should i download this mods how please replying me ty

pi4t
    pi4t

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

Step one: Read the original post. Step two: Find the link in the original post. Step 3: Click on the appropriate link, and follow the instructions on the page loaded.

Seriously, though, this looks like a good challenge. I haven't read beyond part 3 to avoid 'spoilers', but am going to try to persuade a friend to join in.

allHailtheTwig

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

stage 3 has a problem - it says you can use redstone, and that you learn about redstone, but you can't get redstone if you can't use refined iron?
Interested in getting some creative building or writing done for a large RPG server? head over HERE to apply!

Megaloneus
  • Minecraft: Megaloneus

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:48 PM

Although I'm a vanilla player, I'd like to see how this goes. It seems interesting.
Quote me to be sure to get a response!

WTFClock said:

He who lives in a water house should not throw sponges.