• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

ajdrake
    ajdrake

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

I don't think that there is any point for efficiency without changes, and the reasons are:

-you need to have diamond tools already to get the enchantment table to mine the obsidian.
-once you have diamond tools there is not any point to enchant iron
-diamond tools should always be enchanted anyway to maximize usage of the enchantments
-diamond tools are already the most efficient tools and have no need for speeding up except redstone, and obsidian which it does not work on.

Seriously, pointless.  If all that efficiency is good for is to speed up the mining of redstone then it should just be thrown out or changed.

If efficiency was expanded to obsidian then it would be worth having in the game, and if it is not going to be changed then I think that it should be taken out to prevent wasting levels on a crappy enchantment.

Register or log in to remove.

Kusandaa
    Kusandaa

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Minecraft: Kusandaa

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

It should have worked on obsidian and it should be removed if they won't change it.

Posted Image

nootron
    nootron

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Minecraft: Nootron

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Have you even tried efficiency III on smooth stone?  It at least doubles the speed at which you can mine.

ajdrake
    ajdrake

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

View Postnootron, on 29 October 2011 - 05:03 PM, said:

Have you even tried efficiency III on smooth stone?  It at least doubles the speed at which you can mine.
I have only gotten efficiency on shovels  <_<

nootron
    nootron

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

View Postajdrake, on 29 October 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

Ah. Well I agree that eff. On shovels is useless. Try it on pick axe. It's amazing. Large mining tasks go so much quicker!

parvomagnus

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

View Postnootron, on 29 October 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

Ah. Well I agree that eff. On shovels is useless. Try it on pick axe. It's amazing. Large mining tasks go so much quicker!

Yeah, for just carrying around while spelunking, efficiency isn't that useful. For branch mining, though, it's really pretty awesome.

volcano_fl

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

View Postajdrake, on 29 October 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

Why do you enchant shovels?? You can dig everything what shovels are made for with other tools without losing the block, and the only enchantment that is probably useful in this case is Silk Touch to get grass blocks. So, enchanting shovels is useless, not the Efficiency enchantment ...

Posted Image

ajdrake
    ajdrake

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:20 PM

View Postvolcano_fl, on 29 October 2011 - 05:16 PM, said:

Why do you enchant shovels?? You can dig everything what shovels are made for with other tools without losing the block, and the only enchantment that is probably useful in this case is Silk Touch to get grass blocks. So, enchanting shovels is useless, not the Efficiency enchantment ...
Just as you said, I wanted silk touch, but would have settled for unbreaking

nootron
    nootron

Redstone Miner

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

View Postajdrake, on 29 October 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

Just as you said, I wanted silk touch, but would have settled for unbreaking

You can get grass block with pick too.

Sinful
    Sinful

Carpenter

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

I already have jerky weirdness happening when I mine with a diamond pick already, in SMP (and that is while playing on my own server, on the PC the server is running on, with zero lag).  Blocks break, vanish, then reappear as if I never mined them. ... making it mine FASTER just seems like a step in the wrong direction for me. lol

BioRules
    BioRules

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1160 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

View PostSinful, on 29 October 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

I already have jerky weirdness happening when I mine with a diamond pick already, in SMP (and that is while playing on my own server, on the PC the server is running on, with zero lag).  Blocks break, vanish, then reappear as if I never mined them. ... making it mine FASTER just seems like a step in the wrong direction for me. lol

Are you mining around the spawn? In multiplayer servers even with no lag you have strange things happen with blocks around the spawn.
Posted Image

Sinful
    Sinful

Carpenter

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

View PostBioRules, on 29 October 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

Are you mining around the spawn? In multiplayer servers even with no lag you have strange things happen with blocks around the spawn.

No.

It is most noticeable if mining straight down through stone with a diamond pick, or (better example even) when you make a large stack of dirt or gravel, very high (for whatever reason) then try to dig straight down through it with a diamond shovel.  Blocks will break, then reappear, and the person will often get shoved off the stack by the re-appearing block.

ajdrake
    ajdrake

Iron Miner

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

View PostSinful, on 29 October 2011 - 05:38 PM, said:

No.

It is most noticeable if mining straight down through stone with a diamond pick, or (better example even) when you make a large stack of dirt or gravel, very high (for whatever reason) then try to dig straight down through it with a diamond shovel.  Blocks will break, then reappear, and the person will often get shoved off the stack by the re-appearing block.
Never dig straight down!  That sounds like lag though

Altoid2
    Altoid2

Void Walker

• Members
  • 1667 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

View Postajdrake, on 29 October 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

Never dig straight down!

Words to live (and die) by.
Posted Image
If I helped in any way, don't click that little green +, instead tell me how much you liked the post. (Only those who are incapable of earning rep the hard way have to beg for it in their signatures).

volcano_fl

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

View PostSinful, on 29 October 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

Well, Minecraft wasn't supposed to be a multiplayer game, so Mojang still has to figure out how to make it work, I guess. Also, don't forget it's a Beta of a Beta ...

Posted Image

RustyXXL
    RustyXXL

Obsidian Miner

• Members
  • 1262 posts
  • Minecraft: RustyXXL

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

I really like Efficiency...it speeds up branchmining so much and gets me my diamonds faster :P

darthmaulerX

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

After doing some branch mining with an efficiency pick I will say that I don't think efficiency is entirely pointless, just not anywhere near as useful as all of the other tool enchantments, which is probably why it is the most common enchantment, unfortunately.
When no one was looking, the Endermen took forty blocks.
They took 40 blocks. That’s as many as four tens. And that’s horrible.

applesick
  • Location: not over there but over here, in the opersite direction of the place that wasn't parrel to the place where i am not thats next to the creeper behind u >:)
  • Minecraft: mayo9000

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

View Postvolcano_fl, on 29 October 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

Well, Minecraft wasn't supposed to be a multiplayer game, so Mojang still has to figure out how to make it work, I guess. Also, don't forget it's a Beta of a Beta ...
THATS WHY SLIMES ARE SO DERPY
LOOK AT THE WIKI!
every post is a BUMP!!!

cancinex

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

guys, a pickaxe with silk touch does obtain grass i tried... :D no nedd for shovels
Youtube commentator with Let's play's and tutorial's.
http://www.youtube.c...ex?feature=mhee

stellardawn

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Diamond has some use off speeding up? haven't you tried gold pickaxes? :D
Posted Image