• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts
  • Minecraft: Paril

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Check us out on Facebook!

READ THE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS BELOW! I'm tired of answering the same questions over and over again! D:

Current version: 1.4.2.255 (Jan 27, 2014)

Well, what is it?!

(ordered in time they were sent to me at, not because I pick favorites)

Video of the now:

1.3 Videos:

Older Videos:

Spoiler:

Hey there guys!

I'm new to the Minecraft scene, but, after seeing the inflow of skin editors and not being very satisfied with them, I decided to take matters into my own hands and start developing programs for Minecraft. My first release here, I present to you MCSkin3D: a 3d, real-time skin editor for Minecraft!

Unlike other real-time editors, this editor actually lets you paint on the model, as well as the 2d texture map, also providing a neat management facility for all of your installed skins, and a convenient upload button.

Overview

MCSkin3D is both a skin management and skin editing tool. It holds all of your skins in a convenient place, lets you manage them from within the program, and even lets you upload your skin directly to Minecraft.net without ever needing to open a browser.

I consider this one of my first "public" programs, as in one that I've released directly to a large community - hopefully it's well-received and I hope you guys don't go too hard on me, but, here we go.

MCSkin3D was inspired by several sources, notably Q2MDL, an old Quake 2 skinning tool, SkinEdit (http://www.minecraft...ha-3-pre-7/), an excellent 2d skinning program for Minecraft, as well as modern editing tools such as The GIMP.

The code is licensed under the GPL, and visible here:
http://code.google.c...cskin3d/

Before attempting to use the painter, please go through the View options and get to know them.

Screenshot(s)

Spoiler:

Notes/Todo

MCSkin3D requires that you have the .NET Framework version 3.5 installed. A Linux and Mac port is in the works!

The program should be self-explanatory, and I made sure to tooltip any important things. When in camera mode, left mouse button rotates the camera while right mouse button (or mouse wheel) zooms - in paint mode, right-mouse button rotates while middle-mouse button will zoom.

Some suggested features for future versions:

- Fill bucket

- Brush size

- 3D preview for the 2D editor (or vice versa? viewports maybe? not sure how I'm going to fit that in there)

- Possible Mono support, for Linux/Mac users

- Folder support for skins (something like a tree)

- Painting collaboration over TCP

- Super code cleanup 2000

- Noise

- Optimized tool shortcutting (left-click for one tool, right-click for another, shift for another, etc)

- Selection tool

- Block & mob texturing support

- HSV/HSL tab

- 2D mode zoom support

- Multiple skin importing

- Background color change

- Posing

- Screenshot

- High resolution skin support

- External program support (picks up on skin changes)

- CMYK

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are all the samples?! (1.4)

The samples are now not included with the program, and are extra downloadable updates. Check "Help < Check for Updates" to download them automatically!

Why is the chin upside-down? (1.9/1.0 only!)

Apparently, someone down at Mojang changed the model format in 1.9/1.0 and rotated/flipped the bottom of the chin. You can use the tools under "Options" to flip a skin automatically.

Windows asks for permissions or "elevation" when trying to run it!

This is normal - if you used the default setup directory, Windows requires permissions to run anything inside Program Files. If it won't run at all, try running it as an administrator via the right-click menu.

It says Swatches/Skins are missing!

Extract!

Why does the drawing mirror on the arms/legs but not anywhere else?

Drawing on the model draws directly to the texture map - if you check the map, there is only one arm face, it's just mirrored to the other side.

How do I draw on the head?

Disable the helmet, either in View < Visible Parts, or on the toolbar near the top-right.

I want to draw on the sides of the legs or arms but I can't get to it!

You may uncheck other pieces in "View < Visible Parts". To get to the backs of arms or legs you may have to uncheck the other leg or the chest.

I try to upload the skin but it just says it failed with "The operation has timed out"!

Minecraft.net must be experiencing some high traffic - try connecting to the site with your browser and see what happens. It may take multiple attempts to upload it, or you may have to wait until traffic slows down (the timeout time is 10 seconds).

An exception dialog popped up, what should I do?

Hit "Save", save the report and attach it to a forum post here, or email it to me, and I'll get right on fixing it.

How does the program handle passwords?

Passwords are saved locally, in settings.ini, encrypted in 256 bits using seeds and salts from constant data relating to your specific machine - using this technique, even if someone gets a hold of your settings file, they would need access to your physical system to decode the password. No password, usernames, or user data is sent externally at any point, except to connect to Minecraft.net using a secure HTTPS connection. Source code is available upon request if you wish to challenge this remark.

Where is X feature?

If it's not listed above, I either forgot about it or it hasn't been brought up yet - suggest it!

Changes

Spoiler:

Downloads

Dependencies:
.NET Framework v3.5: http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=21

MCSkin3D LE 1.4.2.255:
Download .ZIP version

Make sure to give me any feedback or any issues you may encounter.

Special thanks to these members of the Minecraft Forums &amp; Planet Minecraft staff, for being incredible in helping us achieve our goals:

Sacheverell

Neodymius

Studnicky

Awesome people, show your love with this amazing banner!

[center][URL="http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/746941-mcskin3d-new-skinning-program/"][IMG]http://alteredsoftworks.com/mcskin3d/mcskin3dbanner.gif[/IMG][/URL][/center]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Register or log in to remove.

legoloverlego

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

cool.  I've been looking for this.

Edited by Nex12, 02 February 2012 - 04:57 AM.
Removed position brag

Posted Image

FlamingXyxa
  • Minecraft: FlamingXyxa

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

Will try it out! We need more of these :)
Posted Image

Paril
    Paril

PMC El Sassador

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

View PostFlamingXyxa, on 28 October 2011 - 02:13 PM, said:

Will try it out! We need more of these :)

Well, actually my reason for making this program is the fact that we have too many of these. I've tried four or five different skin editing programs (and I'm not an artist, let's get that clear first, I'm a programmer!) and they all have very different feature sets, or are extremely outdated (not that skin editors NEED to be updated to newer versions but they still lack any new features).

I'm hoping to create something that is more universal and works for everybody. Some people like that tool, some people like this tool, but everybody likes THIS tool - know what I mean?

-P

Posted Image

EmptyOasis

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:30 PM

Awesome! needed this  B)

Paril
    Paril

PMC El Sassador

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostEmptyOasis, on 28 October 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

Awesome! needed this  B)

Glad to be of service.

Posted Image

Varuna
    Varuna

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Well, I know it's new and all, but if you really want to compete with the current skin editors... you really need to come out advanced if you want people to think about switching from a stable, easy to use programs like MCSkinedit to your program which currently doesn't have many features yet.

Here are some problems I see with the program:

- There aren't any shortcuts. (or any I could find?) No ctrl - Z so I can't undo any errors.
- No shading/lighting tool.
- No swatches. Makes it inconvenient to switch to basic colors like red, purple, blue, etc.

The "animate" model isn't very useful. I would rather have selectable poses with the arms extending for an example. So, it would be much easier to see what I'm drawing under the arms.

It would also be nice if you featured a mini previewer in the 2D window... so we know exactly how it looks instead of switching over and over from 2D to 3D. Unless you made a shortcut for that.

Overall, I won't be switching to MCSkin3D right now. Maybe if more features are improved on it later, I might. I'll really like to see how it progresses though.

Posted Image

Paril
    Paril

PMC El Sassador

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

View PostVaruna, on 28 October 2011 - 02:59 PM, said:

Well, I know it's new and all, but if you really want to compete with the current skin editors... you really need to come out advanced if you want people to think about switching from a stable, easy to use programs like MCSkinedit to your program which currently doesn't have many features yet.

Here are some problems I see with the program:

- There aren't any shortcuts. (or any I could find?) No ctrl - Z so I can't undo any errors.
- No shading/lighting tool.
- No swatches. Makes it inconvenient to switch to basic colors like red, purple, blue, etc.

The "animate" model isn't very useful. I would rather have selectable poses with the arms extending for an example. So, it would be much easier to see what I'm drawing under the arms.

It would also be nice if you featured a mini previewer in the 2D window... so we know exactly how it looks instead of switching over and over from 2D to 3D. Unless you made a shortcut for that.

Overall, I won't be switching to MCSkin3D right now. Maybe if more features are improved on it later, I might. I'll really like to see how it progresses though.

Shortcuts are on the todo - I've been kind of pushing to get it out here because I have a tendency never to do so if I don't do it soon enough.

Lighting isn't a bad idea, it actually wasn't on my list (GL_LIGHTING D:)

Swatches are planned, and a bit of the base is there, the issue is trying to find space to place it. I've kind of crammed things in there as best as I could (UI design isn't my forté).

The previewer was also mentioned as well, or some sort of method of seeing both at the same time - not sure exactly how I'm going to approach that at a presentable level yet, but I have it down here.

Keep in mind, you can easily uncheck other parts to get a close look at a single piece (ie, under the arm, as you say). Posing is a possible future feature; the purpose of the animation was to mimic the running animation of Minecraft (that's all you're really gonna see in-game anyways, so I didn't see the point in adding the flail-arms-everywhere animation that Alpha boasted).

Fair enough, I don't expect any switches just yet - if anything, I'd just like to get it on notice so I can develop something that I feel will help skin developers, especially with a functional 3d painting program. It won't get anywhere unless I get feedback from artists like yourself who can help me figure out what goes and what stays.

EDIT: Oh, about the undo/redo: it's there on the toolbar, but yes there are no keyboard shortcuts just yet. After making so many programs that I never released, I never realized how much of the easy stuff I've left out... I need to taze my beta testers more.

EDIT2: Did you mean dodge/burn as "shading/lighting" or actual lighting on the preview?

-P

Posted Image

Everettott

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Nice tool Paril. needs a more cool background.

8byte
    8byte

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Minecraft: Asherz08
  • Xbox:EpicFai1z

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

if you are going to add shorcut keys maybe adding more rather than the basic Ctrl+X for cut maybe Ctrl+P for pencil etc something like photoshop has where every tool has a shortcut.

apart from that i see this program having quite a lot of potential keep up the great work :). o and i used your program name for an example in my teaser trailer for my font hope you dont mind added a link back to here...

Posted Image

Eibenholz

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Sounds great, gonna test it.
Posted Image

Nhbetancourt
  • Minecraft: Nhbetancourt

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

This looks very nice. Would love to see this become the #1 used skin editor out there, but you have a long way to go.
Spoiler:

Paril
    Paril

PMC El Sassador

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:09 AM

View PostNhbetancourt, on 29 October 2011 - 03:53 AM, said:

This looks very nice. Would love to see this become the #1 used skin editor out there, but you have a long way to go.

Thanks; I'd love that too, and I'm willing to put in the effort to ensure it happens!

if you are going to add shorcut keys maybe adding more rather than the basic Ctrl+X for cut maybe Ctrl+P for pencil etc something like photoshop has where every tool has a shortcut.

apart from that i see this program having quite a lot of potential keep up the great work . o and i used your program name for an example in my teaser trailer for my font hope you dont mind added a link back to here...

I will make sure every feature has a shortcut, and the shortcuts will be customizable by the end-user (I'm used to Visual Studio having like, over 100+ shortcuts, so I tend to pick strange combinations).

Version 1.1 is in the works; so far, swatches have been implemented using a simple ASCII .swc file, a couple little quirks have been fixed and nearly all of the functions have a shortcut, as well as making the RGBA color picker a lot simpler to use. An eraser tool will be added, and the pencil will no longer overwrite colors, rather will blend them together like it should. I should be ready for a release some time this morning.

Of course I don't mind, I encourage it!

-P

Posted Image

8byte
    8byte

Zombie Killer

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Minecraft: Asherz08
  • Xbox:EpicFai1z

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:26 AM

Version 1.1 is in the works; so far, swatches have been implemented using a simple ASCII .swc file, a couple little quirks have been fixed and nearly all of the functions have a shortcut, as well as making the RGBA color picker a lot simpler to use. An eraser tool will be added, and the pencil will no longer overwrite colors, rather will blend them together like it should. I should be ready for a release some time this morning.

Of course I don't mind, I encourage it!

-P

i look forward to seeing progress with this program :) what version of studio are you using 2010?

Posted Image

gathorisx
  • Minecraft: gathorisx

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

Thank you, i look forward to using this to make my skins in the future.
RIG  : FX 8320 : CM Hyper 212 Evo (soon Custom Loop) : 12GB 1333(OCed to 1600) : ASUS M5A97 R2.0  : 64GB SSD : 1TB HDD : XFX 650W SEMI MODULAR : BITFENIX SHINOBI WINDOWED : Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280x : Win 7 Ultimate and Crunchbang Dual boot : PM Me for Help with Computers.

Paril
    Paril

PMC El Sassador

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostMadPixel, on 29 October 2011 - 09:26 AM, said:

i look forward to seeing progress with this program :) what version of studio are you using 2010?

Yessir. C/C++ is my main language, but I prefer C# for rapid application development purposes (I honestly got most of this program done this entire week, and nearly all of the features mentioned above in a few hours).

A new version will be out in a few hours or so - something of an interim version to get rid of several things that were mentioned above.

-P

Posted Image

Varuna
    Varuna

Gold Miner

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

View PostParil, on 29 October 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

Yessir. C/C++ is my main language, but I prefer C# for rapid application development purposes (I honestly got most of this program done this entire week, and nearly all of the features mentioned above in a few hours).

A new version will be out in a few hours or so - something of an interim version to get rid of several things that were mentioned above.

-P

Nice, looking forward to seeing it. I'm surprised you're updating so quickly lol.

Posted Image

Paril
    Paril

PMC El Sassador

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

View PostVaruna, on 29 October 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

Nice, looking forward to seeing it. I'm surprised you're updating so quickly lol.

They don't call it rapid application development for nothing!

I can work really quickly with programming if I put my mind to it. You gave me several little ultimatums and my goal is to try to convince you to move to my program, I can't do that if I sit here and release a new version every 3 months :)

-P

Posted Image

Paril
    Paril

PMC El Sassador

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 964 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hey guys, version 1.1 is out, give it a try and report any new bugs I created!

-P

Posted Image

Mogal
    Mogal

Gold Miner

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

So what your saying is...

You managed to remake skinedit?
Posted Image