• Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

How long does it take for sugar cane to grow?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

ThaBeserkHobo

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

I wanna create an auto sugar cane farm using the technic pack, but I need to know the exact amount of seconds it takes so the pistons will push, and I can maximize my sugar cane output. If someone only knows the amount of Minecraft days, I'll do the conversions myself. Thanks.
Would this be considered a signature?

Register or log in to remove.

Nickidge
  • Minecraft: Nickidge

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

Just like all crops, it's mostly randomised from my understanding, so unless you set it to a couple of days or so, your yield would be fairly inconsistent.

Hope someone proves me wrong! Haha
Posted Image
Pop over and say hi! (Click banner)

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:54 PM

It's somewhat random. Basically the game does a growth check periodically and if the check fails then the cane doesn't grow that cycle. I would say that within one minecraft day for sure most would be the max height of 3.  

You can setup a test facility and try a long timer and then shorten it until you're harvest numbers start to drop off.  For example setup 10 sugarcanes and start with one minecraft day as your harvest period.  You should get 20 sugarcanes if all of them grew to max height.  If you did then shorten the harvest period by 1 minute and see how many you get, etc.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

Asmius
    Asmius

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Minecraft: Asmius

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:55 PM

Set it at 100 seconds and you'll get about 1 each.

orangegreenblue
  • Minecraft: orangegreenblue

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

Approximately 10-15 minutes to grow to full height it would seem.

The growth of them isn't as random as wheat.

formthisway
  • Minecraft: imasocool

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

5 minutes to get to 2 high, which is the optimum hight for auto harvesting.

StormerEcho
  • Minecraft: StormerEcho

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

Just hook up a BUD switch, use another sugar cane as the block to be updated, when it grow, the block gets updated and a piston cuts in, there's an output you can hook up to other pistons to harvest.

bpx95
    bpx95

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1006 posts
  • Minecraft: bpx95

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

In order to learn how to grow sugar cane, you must first learn how to reed.
No you didn't, because TNT damage doesn't stack.
See my About Me section for info about me.

zoneslash
  • Minecraft: zoneslash

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

View PostThaBeserkHobo, on 27 October 2011 - 11:42 PM, said:

I wanna create an auto sugar cane farm using the technic pack, but I need to know the exact amount of seconds it takes so the pistons will push, and I can maximize my sugar cane output. If someone only knows the amount of Minecraft days, I'll do the conversions myself. Thanks.

If you opted for the Redpower mod in that pack, you can craft a timer to help you avoid too complicated wiring, and well your timing depends on how tall you want your reeds growing;

if you have them 1 block high, growing into a 2nd, then harvesting, set your timer for about 5 minutes, that seems to work for me.. if you're setting it for growing 2 blocks before each harvest, set it to 10 minutes instead :)

Though i can't guarantee you'll always get the max. output, it shouldn't lag you up as long as your farm isn't all too massive ^^

Sugarcane growth is indeed mostly random as others have said ; i've done quite a lot of manual harvests in my time, and seen them grow instantly after being harvested, and i've seen them take as long as five'ish minutes to grow.. but if you want to be thorough about your efficiency, i advise testing for yourself.. just set up something like a 50-sample growth test, let them grow and then harvest and start your timer, wait for the first one to grow, note the time, and then wait for the last one to grow and stop the timer.. somewhere inbetween there is your optimal time.
You don't have what it takes to beat The Indivisible Challenge
do you?

DaBomb
    DaBomb

Creeper Destroyer

• Members
  • 5842 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

For me, it takes about one Minecraft day to grow from one block high to three blocks high.

Posted Image

Xx_Epikness_xX
  • Minecraft: tigerkid25

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Just use a BUD (Block Update Detector)

awsomeguy77
  • Minecraft: awsomeguy77

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

just make a BUD switch that activates when the sugar can reaches 3 high, and connect it to a piston

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. -Douglas Adams

rodabon
    rodabon

End Dweller

• Members
  • 7187 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostXx_Epikness_xX, on 29 July 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Just use a BUD (Block Update Detector)

View Postawsomeguy77, on 30 July 2012 - 01:29 AM, said:

just make a BUD switch that activates when the sugar can reaches 3 high, and connect it to a piston
Says the guys replying to a 9 month old topic.
Re: 3D Minecraft - Anyone tried it?
by c0yote  

I tried it with terrible results. I gave my wife my glasses for a second, a creeper showed up and now my wife is pregnant.
Stupid 3D..

kirbypwnage
    kirbypwnage

Lapis Lazuli Collector

• Members
  • 1030 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

Forever!