Latest News Article

Server Address

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

FailingAtFailing
  • Minecraft: FailingAtFailing
  • Xbox:RDSAMSACS

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

I started a server for just me and my friends but I don't know what my server address is. I tried my IP address but it didn't work. Any suggestions?
This is a signature. There should be something here....
Oh wait! There is!

Register or log in to remove.

barteke22
  • Minecraft: Piggulf96

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostFailingAtFailing, on 25 October 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

I started a server for just me and my friends but I don't know what my server address is. I tried my IP address but it didn't work. Any suggestions?
You chose your server ip in server.properties(open with a notepad).
You need to use your own ip find here.
If you can't use your own ip adress, you'll need hamachi.
Posted Image
If I helped you or if you like something I made, press the WHITE arrow inside of a GREEN 'square' at the bottom right!

FailingAtFailing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

View Postbarteke22, on 25 October 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

You chose your server ip in server.properties(open with a notepad).
You need to use your own ip find here.
If you can't use your own ip adress, you'll need hamachi.

[INFO] Starting minecraft server version Beta 1.8.1
[INFO] Loading properties
[INFO] Starting Minecraft server on 184.144.17.150:25565
[WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
[WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
[WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

That's what I got. This is my first server. I'm guessing I need to use hamachi but what do I do with it?
Oh wait! There is!

FailingAtFailing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Please somebody help. I promised my friends that I would host a server for them. I'm the only one with more than 2GB of RAM and I'm also the one with the best internet. Please.

If it helps at all some other things about my computer are:

RAM: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 465 GB

Internet Speeds:
15mbps download
0.6 mbps upload
Provider: Bell
Oh wait! There is!

Mokeydwarf

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

Not sure you will be able to host very well with only .6 Megs of upload speed. Anyways, how is your network/internet set up? Do you use a router? A bit more info would help greatly. Setting up a server isn't as easy as just copying the files and starting the server.
Beta Server Specs: AMD X2 4200+ proc (2.2 Ghz), 4 Gigs DDR2, 1.5 Terabyte data drive & 80 Gigabyte boot drive, Win 7 pro 64 bit. System load with 4 players >40%.

FailingAtFailing

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, a wireless router. I'm using the guide on the minecraft wiki. But note that everything works. All I'm asking for is "how do I find out what my server address is?"
Oh wait! There is!

Mokeydwarf

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:00 AM

Easiest way - go to whatsmyip. It'll tell ya in big bold numbers what your external ip addy is. You can also use canyouseeme to make sure your server's port is actually open. Simply type in the port number (25565 by default unless you changed it) and click check. Make sure your server is up and running otherwise it won't be able to ping the port and get a reply.
Beta Server Specs: AMD X2 4200+ proc (2.2 Ghz), 4 Gigs DDR2, 1.5 Terabyte data drive & 80 Gigabyte boot drive, Win 7 pro 64 bit. System load with 4 players >40%.

FailingAtFailing

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:03 AM

View PostMokeydwarf, on 26 October 2011 - 12:00 AM, said:

Easiest way - go to whatsmyip. It'll tell ya in big bold numbers what your external ip addy is. You can also use canyouseeme to make sure your server's port is actually open. Simply type in the port number (25565 by default unless you changed it) and click check. Make sure your server is up and running otherwise it won't be able to ping the port and get a reply.

My server application says that it's failed to bind to port and the site can't see it.
Oh wait! There is!

Mokeydwarf

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:11 AM

Add the minecraft server application to the windows firewall exceptions list (start/control panel/system and security).

FailingAtFailing

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:17 AM

View PostMokeydwarf, on 26 October 2011 - 12:11 AM, said:

Add the minecraft server application to the windows firewall exceptions list (start/control panel/system and security).

I allowed it through the firewall and it still says it failed to bind to the port. Could I change the port?
Oh wait! There is!

darkdc
    darkdc

Stone Miner

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

In your server.properties, makes sure the server ip is blank.

Also make sure the server is not running in Windows Task Manager before you start it up.

FailingAtFailing

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

View Postdarkdc, on 26 October 2011 - 12:23 AM, said:

In your server.properties, makes sure the server ip is blank.

Also make sure the server is not running in Windows Task Manager before you start it up.

Okay now it works but I still don't know what my server address is. How are my friends supposed to play Minecraft on my server?
Oh wait! There is!

Mokeydwarf

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:35 AM

Did you follow my steps again now that it is working to make sure?

FailingAtFailing

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

View PostMokeydwarf, on 26 October 2011 - 01:35 AM, said:

Did you follow my steps again now that it is working to make sure?

Well on that open port check site you provided it says it cannot see my service because it timed out even though my server is obviously running because I can log into it myself (put localhost as address) so my server works but I still need the server address for my friends.
Oh wait! There is!

Mokeydwarf

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:02 AM

If the open port check tool can't see your service then your friends won't either. Have to fix that problem first. Localhost is just that - local connection. Now, your router settings are most likely the problem. I am hoping you are familiar with setting options and such in your router.

You need to go to DHCP settings and give your pc a static IP address (internal ip).

You need to go to port forwarding and add a port with your pc's static ip address and the servers port number.

after that save it and log out of the router.

retry canyouseeme

FailingAtFailing

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

View PostMokeydwarf, on 26 October 2011 - 02:02 AM, said:

If the open port check tool can't see your service then your friends won't either. Have to fix that problem first. Localhost is just that - local connection. Now, your router settings are most likely the problem. I am hoping you are familiar with setting options and such in your router.

You need to go to DHCP settings and give your pc a static IP address (internal ip).

You need to go to port forwarding and add a port with your pc's static ip address and the servers port number.

after that save it and log out of the router.

retry canyouseeme

Okay so I did that and canyouseeme.org can 'see' me.

So now people can join my server (hopefully)

Now that that's done how do I find my server address? Is it my IP address?
Oh wait! There is!

FailingAtFailing

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

bump. I don't want to create another thread. So back to my main question: What is my server address? Is it my IP address?
Oh wait! There is!

sampcat123

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

well i did what he said and the server won't even login for me why