Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Become a Premium Member! Help
Latest News Article

Oops, unknown username or password.


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1

GothGecko

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

I purchased the game in February this year. I have had it installed on my laptop ever since but haven't played for a few months. Decided it was time to get it on my desktop to play at home so set about attempting to install this afternoon...

minecraft.net/login said:

Oops, unknown username or password.

minecraft launcher said:

Login Failed

minecraft.net/retrievename said:

Success! An e-mail has been dispatched and should make it's way to your inbox momentarily.

minecraft.net/resetpassword said:

Success! An e-mail has been dispatched and should make it's way to your inbox momentarily.

Above is what I have been staring at on my computer screen for the last 6 hours. I am yet to receive any of the alleged e-mails I was supposed to receiving "momentarily". I am quite certain I had my username and password correct but decided to attempt the password reset and name retrieval anyway so as to be thorough.

I have made sure that I am checking the correct email address (Found my original purchase receipt) and have checked my spam folder as well.

This appears unrelated to the authentication server issues of a couple of days ago as 1) I am not attempting to connect to a multiplayer game and 2) those issues are supposedly resolved as per this thread anyway.

Also I have read this thread which some of you are bound to attempt to direct me to but as stated, I have followed its password and account name retrieval directions and given it SIX HOURS to respond.

Is there a problem server side (login and/or e-mail) somebody would like to confirm which I can wait to be resolved (an ETA on which would be appreciated) or do I now progress to utilising the hacked account retrieval process?

Thanks

Register or log in to remove.

#2

Kurokibo
    Kurokibo

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 16771 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

'Login Failed' actually happens to me everytime I tried to login. It works on the second try, though.

First thoughts are there's something wrong with the server side for the e-mail.
I'm leaving the forum, if anyone cared. You can find me on OC or FFR.

#3

hotelmason
  • Location: Private.
  • Minecraft: hotelmason

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Check your details (username and password).
Did I help you any? If I did, click that + button down there! :) Posted Image
Is Minecraft online? See this to find out: http://checkmymc.webs.com/

#4

GothGecko

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

View Posthotelmason, on 24 October 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

Check your details (username and password).

Did you even read my post? You know, at all? Particularly the parts where I have 1) tried to reset my password AND retrieve the account name 2) waited SIX HOURS (now closer to SEVEN) to receive the emails that would allow me to "Check my details (username and password)" as you have so helpfully suggested?

Thanks Sgt. Traveler for your suggestion though. I've attempted logging in multiple times already though and submitted the password and username retrievals at least twice each already too.

#5

hotelmason
  • Location: Private.
  • Minecraft: hotelmason

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostGothGecko, on 24 October 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Did you even read my post? You know, at all? Particularly the parts where I have 1) tried to reset my password AND retrieve the account name 2) waited SIX HOURS (now closer to SEVEN) to receive the emails that would allow me to "Check my details (username and password)" as you have so helpfully suggested?

Thanks Sgt. Traveler for your suggestion though. I've attempted logging in multiple times already though and submitted the password and username retrievals at least twice each already too.
No need to be mean sir. But what I meant to say is check it in the LAUNCHER, in case he misspelled it.
Did I help you any? If I did, click that + button down there! :) Posted Image
Is Minecraft online? See this to find out: http://checkmymc.webs.com/

#6

GothGecko

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

View Posthotelmason, on 24 October 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

No need to be mean sir. But what I meant to say is check it in the LAUNCHER, in case he misspelled it.

Sorry if I cam across too harsh. At 7 hours waiting and spending a good 20 minutes plus trying to make sure my post conveyed that I have covered ALL the client side basic solutions covered in the sticky my patience is a little thin...

To be sure though I did just re-enter all my login details again making sure there were no typos but to no avail.

#7

hotelmason
  • Location: Private.
  • Minecraft: hotelmason

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

View PostGothGecko, on 24 October 2011 - 01:45 PM, said:

Sorry if I cam across too harsh. At 7 hours waiting and spending a good 20 minutes plus trying to make sure my post conveyed that I have covered ALL the client side basic solutions covered in the sticky my patience is a little thin...

To be sure though I did just re-enter all my login details again making sure there were no typos but to no avail.
There is a 80% chance Minecraft is down for everyone, or a 10% chance that just a specific server is down, that has your info and the email you sent and a 10% chance you will need a new account.
Did I help you any? If I did, click that + button down there! :) Posted Image
Is Minecraft online? See this to find out: http://checkmymc.webs.com/

#8

hotelmason
  • Location: Private.
  • Minecraft: hotelmason

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

Wait, did you pirate Minecraft in the past?
Did I help you any? If I did, click that + button down there! :) Posted Image
Is Minecraft online? See this to find out: http://checkmymc.webs.com/

#9

GothGecko

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

View Posthotelmason, on 24 October 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

Wait, did you pirate Minecraft in the past?

Nope, never had minecraft until I purchased it in February this year. Only bothered installing it on my laptop because we lanned with it a bit at the time. Friends and I haven't lanned in a number of months now though so I thought I would install it on my desktop instead to play at home.

Oh, and in regards to minecraft being down for all, I would expect to see the masses screaming bloody murder if they weren't able to login at all for 7+ hours so I'm not sure your 80% is a great guess ;)

#10

GothGecko

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

So apparently my 502 error wasn't such a 502 error and I double posted...

Having a great technology night tonight it seems. And apparently I cannot delete the offending post either :(

#11

GothGecko

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Some 14 or 15 hours have passed and I am still yet to receive any emails from my multiple attempts at retrieving my login details yesterday...

However, I am happy to say that redoing the password retrieval this morning has been successful. Can only assume that entire system was down for one reason or another but it is fixed now so no more complaints.

#12

zalfuse
    zalfuse

    Tree Puncher

  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

im also having this problem i quit playing minecraft a while back according to my game at patch 1.6.6  . there is no possible way for my password and user name to be wrong as i use it for just about everything computer related iv also tried requesting for my user name and password and have no luck so far. is there anything i can do? ( im posting here as i dont want to make a new thread about the exact same problem) also i can play offline just fine but i want to get the newest patch before i try to get into minecraft again

edit: actually ignore this i just read his most recent post and have retried the username and password request and it actually sent me a email my user name is correct i guess i just have to recent my password hopefully it works

edit 2 : and it works just fine awesome i guess the retrieval service just wasn't working yesterday and the day before thanks gothgecko
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no creeper for i am .... hssssss.... Fu**

#13

voordal
    voordal

    Creeper Destroyer

  • Members
  • 5680 posts
  • Location: Vegas

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

Awesome. I made a huge post, and got 502'd.

Anyway, Goth, you've done all the right things. You've verified your account info is accurate. Unfortunately, Mojang's email reply server is hit and miss. I test it regularly when people ask these kind of problems, and you've taken all the appropriate steps. You, like a disturbingly large number of others, cannot retrieve their password because of this fault.

Mojang has not acknowledged this issue (it has persisted for as long as I have played, 8+ months).

All you can really do is keep trying to post requests to reset the password and hope one goes through. you can also try posting on their twitter and getsatisfaction.

I love Mojang, the company, the people, the games... However when it comes to customer support and administration, they fall down hard.
Did your world disappear from minecraft? Is it corrupt? Lags? Can't move? "Saving Chunks" Crash? Crashes when you open chests? It can be saved!
Minecraft Saver World Recovery Website: http://mcsaver.net.  Recover and save your precious worlds! Over 1500 saved!